Thread: More of a RE-build Thread

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Well it turns out my guess was correct. Balance shaft belt snapped off.. and the tensioner ended up completely separating off, from its base. Crazy stuff.

IMG_1503_small.jpg

IMG_1504_small.jpg

IMG_1505_small.jpg

IMG_1506_small.jpg

Ordered a new balance shaft and timing belt, along with a new tensioner for both too. There goes $115 more dollars I didn't have to spend. I'm a little optimistic as far as the valves being okay though, I think this was the only problem.. at least, I'm really hoping so.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That damn balance shaft belts/tensioners, hopefully no valves or anything are bent and that is it. When I bought the eclipse that I used for the 4g63, I had been driven in it by the guy that I bought it from and also drove a few people in it before I pulled the motor. Well turns out when I pull the motor I take off the timing cover there is a broken balance shaft belt. Luckily it somehow did not get caught on the timing belt or any of its components and broke it and bent my valves, I would have been one pissed off SOB lol. Well sorry for the rant anyways hope you can get it going without too many troubles

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Luckily you got off easy man lol.

It explains why when I was driving it, it felt as if a load had suddenly been put on the engine, as if an a/c compressor kicked on. I'm guessing the balance shaft belt broke, getting caught up into the timing belt. Just not sure how the timing tensioner snapped off the way it did.. very weird. That's what I get for not doing preventative maintenance on it and taking care of these when I was replacing my water pump. The truck has 160k miles on it and odds are the belts have never been changed. Lesson learned.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I also replaced both tensioners on mine when replacing the water pump and belts. The bearings in both tensioners sounded rough while spinning them, so I decided to nip that in the bud right then. Still had to take it all back off again, since my dumb ass had the balance shaft off half a turn.

Anyway, I hope this gets yours up and running again, with no hidden "surprises", such as any bent valves.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    From the pics I can see it looks like the bolt that holds the balance shaft gear is beat up as well. Since you are already spending money....might as well get all the seals. Cam, Crank, and both balance shaft seals. All that oil down there came from somewhere.....most likely from the shaft seals which have never been replaced. If the seals continue leaking, they will ruin the new belts. Then again, might as well just install the belts for now and make sure you did not bend valves. The service info I have on this motor warns not to turn the cam or crank with the belt off, this would indicate that it is an interferance engine, yet I have seen quite a few instances where the valves went untouched. Various circumstances control this such as rpm at the time of failure or how far the belt jumped timing.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Good news! This motor is not an interference engine! I confirmed this by turning both the crank and camshaft, one at a time. The valves never touched the piston. Got the new belts and tensioners on, and she fired right up. Couple pics for your entertainment..

All put back together:
    IMG_1510.jpg

Another pic of the timing tensioner for shits and giggles:
    IMG_1512.jpg

Unfortunately, she shakes like a washing machine on spin cycle

I'm thinking it might be because of the oil pump sprocket.. am I correct in thinking that there's a balance shaft behind it too? I was pretty sure there was 2, but not sure. I spent alot of time on the other side that has the balance shaft belt. I aligned the oil pump sprocket with its timing mark.. But that was it. Didn't think I really needed to do the next step.

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm going to try to play with it more tomorrow, so in the mean time, can anyone tell me where exactly this bolt is? I looked on the drivers side of the engine and saw what I thought to be it back towards the starter. Just want to make sure that's it. A little confused about this part too.. I'm supposed to rotate the sprocket until I can fit the screw driver all the way in.. well, are the timing marks supposed to be aligned then too? What if they're not? Does the balance shaft only turn one full rotation when the sprocket is turned twice? That's the only logical thing I can think of..

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    From the pics I can see it looks like the bolt that holds the balance shaft gear is beat up as well.
    Turns out that was just a random piece of silicone that was on the edge of the bolt. Probably from when I did the water pump. You can kind of see in the new pic, the head of the bolt looks fine.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Alright, well to answer my own question.. yes, there is a bolt back by the starter on the block. That is the access hole to the determine if the balance shaft is aligned properly. Skipping this step will only cause you headaches.

After doing that, I got everything aligned up properly, and started her up. She still ran like crap.. then I realized I had #2 and #3 spark plug wires crossed. Swapped those around, and all is well! She purrs once again. Next project is to swap out the front struts. Won't be getting around to that until next week probably, so if any of you have some tips or tricks for those I'd appreciate the advice.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yup, theres definitely a balance shaft back there. glad you got it figured out and running well again

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Are you talking strut rods and bushings, or front shocks? Both should be easy unless really rusty
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sorry, was referring to the front shocks. All I can afford to do for now. Figure each week I'll try to tackle something new on the front end. I know it's all in bad shape.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Glad you got it up and running.

This is the first I've heard about there being a hole on the block used to line up the balance shaft. It would have come in handy back when I did mine. At least I know now.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    2.6 motors have the same procedure for checking the silent shaft.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    My dad knew about the procedure for lining up the balance shaft, yet forgot to let me in on this little kernel of knowledge. He just assumed I had everything lined up right, and I assumed the same thing. Heck, it looked right, but we should have known better than to just make assumptions, instead of actually checking to make sure everything was lined up properly. It won't happen again.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    As you guys can tell, this has been a relatively slow rebuild process for me. Only have 2 days off a week that I can work on it, and sometimes I"m really just not up for it. Current operation: Replacing worn out suspension components. This includes the lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings, idler arm bushings, and strut rod bushings. Recently added to this list is the wheel bearings, and tie rod end boots. Will probably be adding more as more is discovered, or if there are any other things (not horribly expensive ) that you guys might recommend to go ahead and nip in the but while I'm at this.

Made some progress today though. Was able to finally get the lower control arm free, after much time spent beating the bejesus out of the lower ball joint. I ended up placing the jack underneath the lower control arm (which I should had had their to begin with anyway! duh!). That in turn relieved the stress being put on the ball joint by the spring, and a few taps the joint fell right out. Would have used a spring compressor for this, but no auto part store carried one that would work.. So I had to wing it.

So then I was able to get the lower control arm bushings replaced, after the old ones literally crumbled out. Then I got the lower ball joint replaced. After that I had to figure out how to get the spring back in its place. That turned out to be the easiest part surprisingly. I set it back on top of the LCA, and used my floor jack to lift it up. At this point the truck also started lifting with it. I've been told I'd probably need someone to sit on the hood to help weigh it down. Turns out I got lucky and didn't need to. I just kept lifting and eventually it compressed the spring enough and the top bolt of the ball joint slid right into the knuckle. Threw the nut on, and lowered her back down.. easy peazy.

All I have left to do on that side is the idler arm and strut rod bushings, then replace the wheel bearings as I discovered they are making a faint grinding sound. Then I get to do it all over again on the other side!! If anyone is interested in a write up of this process, along with some pictures, let me know. I'd have no problem at all doing that. I know the Haynes manuals only help so much before you need some first hand, non-generic guidance.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 08-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Just a slight update. Thanks to crvtec90's amazing alignment skills.. my truck is back on the road! Have been driving it for a couple weeks now. It's averaging 25 mpg right now, and that was with the check engine light on reporting a bad o2 sensor. Swapped that out, and got that fixed. Hoping to see a good increase in that. Also, not sure if I ever posted about it, but a while back I got the bright idea to stuff a small shop towel in the intake, just before the MAF sensor to help block some of the air going through the sides that the sensor doesn't read. At the time, the engine was barely idling, so this was my solution to richen it up. Surprisingly, it worked out quite well. Today, I took that towel out, after I fixed the o2 sensor, and it's running great! So that issue is no longer on the back of mind now.

So, as scared as I am to say this, and jinx myself. I think I have finally fully fixed my truck. The motor runs amazing, and it drives beautifully! I can finally move on to working on the cosmetics of this truck. Jo so as long as I didn't just jinx myself
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Glad to hear that and I hope that you did figure it all out, congrats!

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeyed View Post
    So then I was able to get the lower control arm bushings replaced, after the old ones literally crumbled out.
    Now your getting to know your truck. When I pulled mine a part I found on both sides 70% gone. Get yourself a Pickle fork from autozone
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tie-Ro...Fork,9376.html
    They come in handy every now and then.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 03-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Slight update here..

A couple weeks ago, my water pump gasket decided to blow out.. Wasn't too difficult of a fix. Now the new one doesn't leak in the back like the old one did, where the heater line hooks up. So that's nice. It is however leaking/buring coolant somewhere. I practically have to top it off every 2 days of so, depending on how much I am driving. Plan on doing a leak down test on each cylinder as soon as I get a new air compressor, as our old one finally crapped out. Aside from that, my alignment is still rock solid, tires are still looking great. Motor is still running good and strong. Has been quite nice actually.

Today I decided to clean her up a bit. The truck itself will never look very good with the craptastic paint job it has, but man do the wheels shine now

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Use a radiator tester on it. It will show you where the leek is.
    If you aren't going to make her pretty then camo it
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    hey bud. bring it on by my place and ill put a pressure tester on it.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Decided to try painting my door yesterday and today. I'm pretty good with a rattle can, and have done fantastic jobs on smaller parts. This is my first time trying to rattle can something on a "large scale." Came out really good I think, chose a semi-gloss black. Was paranoid to boot about getting tiger stripes showing through. I've seen some horrid rattle can jobs done out there, and did not want to be driving around looking like a fool.

Before (Previous owner, dont ask..):

IMG_1607.jpg

After:

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Now the rest of my truck looks super dull. At least it doesn't stand out too bad like it used to. Still gotta do the drivers side door too. Figure I'm gonna try to knock out one panel a week on my 2 days off. Sand and prime the first day, paint and enjoy it the next. At least, as long as she stays running for me that is
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You do know you can go to harbor freight and pick up a spray gun for 12 bucks and it will do a fantastic job when new. Unless you don't have a compressor then your back to the rattle can.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    We got our compressor back up and running, but the auto shutoff pressure switch is fubar'd. Eventually going to get a new, bigger one. Just gotta get the funds first. Want to eventually make a mock-up paint booth when we do.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well, the truck is gone.. so ends this "re"build thread.

Traded her for a '12 Lancer.. very very nice car I must say
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    at least it's a mitsu - are you looking for another one?
    Pennyman1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast