Thread: More of a RE-build Thread

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Glad you got it running. I just gotta wait for a burnout video. jk. Happy trucking.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Just took it for a test drive around the block (didn't want to jinx myself, and have it break down) and it ran great. Better than I could have hoped! It still has a slight hesitation to it, nothing too noticeable. Pretty sure the timing still isn't dead on. But at least now I can drive it to a shop or something. Going to try to find someone local to help show me how to do timing. One of those things where I need an instructor, a book or pictures just don't work for me.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    You got a timing light? That's always a first step. Lol. Then you follow the directions in the manual on how to get base timing instead of timing advance and adjust the distributor till you got the right timing. I'm sure it shouldn't be much at a shop though. Gl.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeyed View Post
    Just took it for a test drive around the block (didn't want to jinx myself, and have it break down) and it ran great. Better than I could have hoped! It still has a slight hesitation to it, nothing too noticeable. Pretty sure the timing still isn't dead on. But at least now I can drive it to a shop or something. Going to try to find someone local to help show me how to do timing. One of those things where I need an instructor, a book or pictures just don't work for me.
    Give me a call man.....we can make it happen.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    Give me a call man.....we can make it happen.
    Awesome man, thanks. I'm off work the next 2 days, I'll hit you up.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Long time, no update..

Truck has been running great the past week or so. Even better recently, until it started blowing smoke out of the tailpipe. At start-ups.. I was used to it and didn't mind so much. But recently it started blowing smoke while driving.. sitting at red lights.. and got even worse at start-up. So I knew the time had come to replace the valve guide seals. With much success, I knocked it out with flying colors. This was the issue I had on the last truck. I over torqued the valve cover and broke one of the camshaft main bearings, then the front of the rocker assembly had broken in half, and in the end I dropped a valve in the cylinder. So sadly, I wiped my hands clean of that truck.

I was terrified of destroying this one. But fortunately, learning from my mistakes, nothing went wrong, and she no longer burns oil or blows any smoke. Oh, what a relief. Here's a comparison shot of my filthy valve cover before and after I cleaned it during this process.

Before (when I was replacing the injectors):

IMG_1470.jpg

After:

IMG_1484b.jpg

and if you notice, I did a small wire tuck. Instead of having the wire harness come over the valve cover in front of the intake tube; I ran in behind it and under the throttle body. Much cleaner look IMO

IMG_1481.JPG
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Fernley, NV 89408
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    now for some cold air intake

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Good update. You seen honda-tech forums? They got a lot of wire tuck info on there.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr8x2 View Post
    now for some cold air intake
    It has a mass air flow adapter on it that allows it to fit a cone filter. It's not technically a cold air intake, but a nice upgrade over stock. I don't plan on doing a CAI since it's a daily driver and I enjoy running through the deep puddles

Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Good update. You seen honda-tech forums? They got a lot of wire tuck info on there.
    Thanks. I've browsed on there a time or two. I won't be going gung-ho on wire tucking. But if I can find a better, less of an eye sore, way to route wires.. then I'm going to take it
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The deep puddles make the best waves. Lol. It was just a suggestion if you were going further into a wire tuck.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Motor is still running good, so I was finally able to focus on something else today. Got my new back slider glass and new weather stripping installed.

Out with the old

IMG_1489.JPG

and in with the new

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Will finally be able to see behind me now! The old glass was etched with some logos, making it nearly impossible to see through it and the 2 layers of tint. Next plan is to get the new glass along with the side windows tinted.

Total investment on these:
    $15 for the brand new glass (ebay)
    $60 on the new weather stripping (JCWitney)

Ironic I got the glass for 1/4 of the cost of the weather stripping, but I'm pleased overall for $75 and only 15 minutes of work removing and installing.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i really wish you would have taken some pics during the swap and a little how to...id like to remove mine and re weather strip but not completely sure on how to...

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    It was honestly ridiculously easy. This was my first time ever doing one.

I watched these two videos to gain some perspective on how to do it, they should help you too.
    http://youtu.be/ZVJdYinyASs
    http://youtu.be/hW-2PD-hcCM

All you really need is a flat head screw driver to pry the window out, and about 12 feet of small string, which I got from wal-mart for $1. They have it in the craft section, just look for some that is about the size of kite string. When installing the window, you wrap the string in the weather stripping and spray the whole seal down with some water/dish soap mix. Have a friend hold it in place, and pull the string from inside the cab. It grabs the lip of the weather stripping and lifts it over the edge and inside. If you can change a spark plug, then this is nothing.

Here's another link that might help you with the install:
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/2007/05/in...ng-back-glass/
    Last edited by blindeyed; 06-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It is really easy. I had to replace the back glass in my '92 Ram 50 after someone CUT IT OUT and stole it, along with my speakers, amp, and cd's.

Anyway, my boss at the body shop I worked at at the time found me a back glass and seal for $35 at a nearby salvage yard. A short trip later and I was back with it and ready to put it in. Having never installed one of this type before, I asked one of the guys I worked with to help me. We had it installed in less than five minutes. More like three. This was in '96, and it's been in and problem-free ever since... until now. It's not really a problem (yet), but I noticed the weatherstripping/seal is starting to split in places, and when you rub your finger or a rag across it, it'll leave you with a nice black mark for your troubles. Time is catching up to it, so it looks like a replacement is in my future.

What I'm really trying to say, in my long-winded-ass way, is that replacing yours shouldn't give you any problems or headaches.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    nice to know..i see a new rear window seal in my future.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Scored a set of "new" rims yesterday for the truck! They came with 4 pretty decent tires too. Finally, something on my truck actually looks good!

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

They came with all 4 center caps too, I just didn't put them on yet. Cleaned them all last night, they were pretty filthy. They still need some polishing pretty bad, but man they look a ton better than my mismatched set of rims I had before.

Also.. don't ask about the primered rectangles on the doors. I have.. no idea? Possibly a decal was there that got painted over.. Seriously, the whole truck looks like it was roll painted with some rustoleum.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Those r sum sharp wheels bud. Good find....I like the original factory look.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    those look like factory sport wheels. I still have a set of those laying around. I like the look of em. Are yours 14's or 15's? If i remember correctly they came in both.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah they're the sport wheels, 14's. Bought them from a guy here in town who had the sport model, but threw on some toyota rims. Sold his truck, and still had these. Believe it or not I scored all 4 with the tires and center caps for only $100!
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    good deal!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Lookin sweet, I see you got those from that guy Mclovin on the other site huh

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Lookin sweet, I see you got those from that guy Mclovin on the other site huh
    Yes sir! He hooked me up big time! I nagged him a bit on these lol
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well apparently I'm just cursed when it comes to these trucks. Have never had so many problems with one vehicle, i swear.

Recently my motor has been making a metal ticking sound, which escalated into a grinding sound, and now it won't even start (no I didn't continue driving it this way). I had hoped it was just the starter not disengaging, but of course that would have been too easy of a fix.

Turns out my timing belt has come loose. Only inspected the top part by the valve cover, so my best guess at the moment is the tensioner broke off in some way or another. That or the balance shaft belt snapped? Fearing the worst at the moment as my camshaft is about 45 degrees off. Hoping and praying I didn't do any damage, and that the metal grinding was just the tensioner.

Will have more to report tomorrow.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's the wave theory. Everything comes in waves. Good news, bad news, women, tickets, sex, dry spells, you name it it comes in waves. I just hope the wave is over for you.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I hope none of your valves got bent or broken, as that can happen. I'm also crossing my fingers, for your sake, that it is just the tensioner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast