Thread: Dings around combustion chamber on the head.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63

Dings around combustion chamber on the head.

Started to clean a spare head and was wondering if any one has seen this before IMG_20200110_160730.jpgIMG_20200110_160710.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Could be mechanical damage from how it was removed or stored (or possibly from someone who previously took the head off and did something stupid to it...) I don't think it's due to detonation but you won't be sure until you've completely decarboned the head - there will be lots of small indents in the combustion chambers. It's going to need a light skim to reface it.

*Some advice - if you have to put it through a shop and the head appears to be warped, don't let them skim it to 'true' the face up. Find a shop that will put it through an oven and press it straight before machining it. Trying to mill a warped head will mess with combustion chamber volumes and won't keep the cam journals aligned. This will cause the journal faces to wear unevenly in one spot against the cam and worse case scenario could cause the cam to bind up. Not so common in G63B engines but in 4G64's it has caused cams to snap in half. If the cam spins without too much resistance except the load from the valve springs I think you should be ok, but take the cam caps off and look for heavy wear on one side of each of the cam journals as this is a sign that there is something up.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I wonder if those dings might be from a spark plug tongue broke off? I don't know how often that happens, but it's certainly possible.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    It could be a bunch of things, but that did NOT happen with the head on it. was the gasket damaged? if so it could be debris but thats unlikely

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    It could be a bunch of things, but that did NOT happen with the head on it. was the gasket damaged? if so it could be debris but thats unlikely
    Gasket is in perfect condition looks like an aftermarket gasket so some one has had it off before. All the cylinders have some damage like the pics.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks for your reply. I will look into getting the head planned, I was going to install this one after cleaning onto my current running motor as it has a horrid ticking that wont go away even after valve adjustments and correct oils used. The reason behind this is so I am not off the road wile work is being done to recondition the existing head. I suspect it could be a spring or burnt valve (or both) on the third cylinder back from the front.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by montagNZ View Post
    All the cylinders have some damage like the pics.
    probably debris then. do like what geezer 101 said, you should be good to go. if it isnt too severe you might can have the pistons redone too!