Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Turbocharging a 2.6L???

Ok so I have a 1987 Dodge Power Ram 50 with a 2.6L. I am putting the motor out a 1982 in it, its a 2.6L out a 4x4 truck. I have put a Weber 38/38 400cfm 2 barrel on it and an exhaust manifold that deletes the EGR system.

My question is, what would it take to put a turbo on it? I want to potentially modify it and I want to see what i can and cant to. I have a set of high torque cams going into it and i figured a turbo might help the top end. I figured an inter cooler wouldn't hurt either.

I am not looking to do this right now, I am looking to do this later on. I am 15 years old and I don't look to make 1000 HP and put it in a little truck and wind up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree. I don't feel like trying to find the turbo version of this engine because i have a 50-60k mile motor right now and i feel like i should make the most of it. And the fact its probably pretty rare to find that.

Any advice would help. Thanks! :D

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Easy - use the turbo parts from a Conquest/Starquest 2.6. Make it easier and use a whole engine for the transplant and strip the engine management + harness from the donor car so you won't have to mess with an aftermarket ECU.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I dont really want an ecu period. i want it straightforward and simple. i dont want to fool around with the wiring stuff. make it like the mid 70's.

i was thinking of a small Garrett turbo of some sort, one that could push, say, 8 lbs boost? what power/boost can a G54B take before something breaks? how should i do the piping? what kind of intercooler do i need (or does the conquest/starquest have one?) is a twin carb 38/38 synchronous setup a good idea for a turbo setup?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You can actually do this but you'll need to think outside of the box. Here in Australia we has one generation of Mitsubishi Sigma (RWD 4 door sedan) that came with a draw through factory turbo. It is boost indexed which means you can get it to boost hard. It used a CD175 Stromberg carb that easily kept up with fuel demand. MY buddy has one - I volunteered to rebuild and modify his and after some tweaking, it ran 20 psi of boost. Only drawback is it can't be intercooled. Here's a link to my friends' factory GH Sigma turbo from one of my posts -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post44007

It requires a distributor built for turbocharging and luckily the Conquest would be the place to get a donor unit.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Ok, thankyou very much!