Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Transmission boot substitutes

In another thread I had the idea of making a mold to make new silicone transmission boots for our aging transmissions, but the more I did the math I realized it probably isn't feasible to do so. Geezer mentioned the idea of finding a similar boot that would work instead. So far I have come up with the following as a possible replacement for the MD703619 boot. This is the standard 5 speed shifter boot used up until at least 95'. I have not tried it myself and as of the time of this posting and there are OE ones available but I wanted to share my results in case these become unavailable in the future. If the link expires the boot is for an Allis Chalmers 6060, 6070, and 6080.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/7...4aAiQEEALw_wcB

I will continue my search to find a replacement for the 4X4 shifter boot, part number MD704149, since it appears that I have the last NOS one around

If anyone finds any boots for any of the other transmissions ( I think the 4 speeds may be different?) please post them here! after all no one wants dirt, sand, or water in their transmission or transfer case.

Array
    Status
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I was able to order the OEM 5-sp boot from Japan for a bit over $10 USD including shipping. I found it at https://www.amayama.com/en/part/mitsubishi/md703619. Delivery took about 4 weeks.

Looks like the 4x4 shifter boot is available as well.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice! some websites I can never tell if they are legitimate or not. Ill have to give them a shot, thanks!

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    How do you change said boot? I can't seem to get the bottom assembly off nor the shifter itself. What step am I missing?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Pretty sure the intact ones are molded to the shifter on the bottom to protect the shifter from getting dirty from under the body it’s a PITA to get the bolts out but it’s doable. With the amount of smaller stick shift trucks out there boots should be around think Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and the other Mitsubishi trucks that use the same trans/transfer case equipment.

I needed to change out a shifter a few days ago on the truck that was in the fire the shifter was locked up from the pivot ball melting. I used a second shifter I had that had a full boot to move the truck when I could shift into neutral it sucked fighting that boot.

Get a firm grip on the edge of the boot peel it up towards the shifter to reveal the shifter plate bolts the boot will fight you every step of the way. I use a 1/4 inch extension and ratchet because it’s a tight area to work with.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 05-28-2023 at 06:44 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    This setup is off a Toyota truck I picked it up at a towing place where I picked up a parts truck from, it looks like it would work just trim off what you don’t need. A guy could separate the 2 boots and change the angles if needed and cover the repairs with carpet or sheet metal maybe. If not center the shifter so it works with ease then make the transfer case shifter work when needed.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I have the shifter assembly out. I'm referring to that little boot on the assembly, not the boot you see in the truck

Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 05-29-2023 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fixed image display

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    The boot I have is all one piece still the floor boot cover covers everything from the shifter shaft to that boot on the bottom. Most boots are ripped or separated over the years by wear and tear or to make working on removing the shifter easier. I did need to change a cracked bolt down plate on mine years back and the guy used a press to separate the shifter in that area not sure if that’s needed on yours just saying what I needed to do in my case.

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I did see a thread on here somewhere about someone changing their worn bushing on the transfer case shifter. Of course, when I'm looking for it I can't find it. I assume whatever process they employed to do that would be the same for changing the boot.

BTW, those boots are available stateside from lusooverland in AZ. I also got the hood prop clips from there.