Thread: Core Shifter Aftermarket Short Throw Shifter Assy!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Core Shifter Aftermarket Short Throw Shifter Assy!!!!!

Core Shifter Short Throw Shifter

So i am always looking for cool stuff for the truck and in my travels I found a site that makes custom forged heat treated billet shifter assemblies. They match them with a Hurst chrome shifter lever and Hurst shift knob. The company is called Core Shifters. They make shifters for all kinds of different applications but suprisingly they make them for 2wd km transmissions.

IMG_20200103_105001.jpgIMG_20200103_105021.jpgIMG_20200103_105014.jpg

Shifter Website Link: https://core-shifters.com/collections/mitsubishi-km

They are pricey at $270 + shipping but I figured why not???

So I bought one it took about 3 weeks to get here since they are made to order. The shifter showed up packaged very well and built extremely well.

They best part is bolt on modification and NO fabrication or tweeking involved. Since it seems like that is all we ever do with these trucks cause nothing fits right. It bolted right up and I had it installed in about an hour due to removing the center console and fitting the aftermarket boot into the center console shifter location.

Shifter #1.jpgShifter #2.jpgShifter #3.jpgShifter #4.jpgShifter #5.jpgShifter #6.jpg

I used the factory boot to mount to the floor. If you have the center console you need to buy the below boot to replace the stock console boot. Factory is round hole vs. Hurst rectangle hole. Then just pick which rib of the boot looks best when you install it.

IMG_20200103_103033.jpg

Boot Website Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5SNZ8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Driving the truck the shifter is at the perfect height and solid, short, smooth, precise shifts everytime and I love it!

My only complaint is that at certian rpms it buzzes and can be annoying. Honestly im not sure if my old shifter did that I never really paid attention. LOL! If you have the radio on you can't tell its buzzing.

All i know is i feel like a Bad A$$ with a Hurst Shifter in my 4 banger!!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nice - Geezer approves The buzz is probably second order harmonics or possibly the weight of the shifter is just enough to put a little load on the selector forks. Either way it's no big deal. For a shifter assembly, that is steep. How much shorter is the throw? At least if someone is in a bind and needs an actual new shifter assembly, there are options. Looks legit - muscle car cred added!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ya i thought it was pretty steep too!!! but all in all everything custom for these trucks is expensive. I was shocked that they even made one but honestly. I was looking because i recently pulled the tranny and replaced the clutch and when i pulled the shifter off to find out where my leak was coming from, the factory boot was cracked everywhere. so I smeared the right stuff gasket maker all over it to seal it up till I found a better option and poof I found a really expensive upgrade/ fix. hahaha!!!

To answer your question about the throw im not really sure. My factory shifter is already angled from the factory like this one but the angle is different. They show this diagram on there website.

IMG_20200103_105033.jpg

I measured from middle of the shifter ball, Shifter travel is 4" total from 1st -2nd & 3rd-4th. Unfortunately I don't know what factory travel was??? Would be interesting to know if someone else took a measurement.