Thread: L.E.D. Conversion Hyper Flash FIX w/ Pics!!!

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

L.E.D. Conversion Hyper Flash FIX w/ Pics!!!

Ok so I hope this helps some guys figure out the wiring and help cure hyper flash when you decide to put LED turn signal bulbs all the way around your truck. There is another post on this site somewhere about this but, I couldn't find it for some reason to post on that one. So I decided to post one up with pictures and wiring clarification to help with confusion.

So if you change all the light bulbs or just a couple, this unit is the best because it is self sensing and adjusts to whatever the voltage and amp draw is so you get the same flash speed no matter how many LEDs and/or Incadesant bulbs you have in the system.

Flasher you want is Peterson #5000 Flasher

Flasher #5.jpg

Factory flasher below controls both the hazards and the turn signals and is a 3-prong CF13 and/or EP36 flasher relay

Flaher Relay #4.jpgFlasher Relay #3.jpg

So when you replace this relay, the old relay instead of using numbers it has letters next to the prongs E, B, & L. This is particularly hard to find which is positive negative and switching without bench testing.

The Peterson instructions for wiring are pictured below but actually do not work on this truck application. So hence why I decided to make this detailed conversion to help clarify the confusion.

Flasher Relay #2.jpg

On the Peterson relay you have red, black, and green wires coming out of it. For the purpose of any truck that has one 3 prong flasher that controls both hazards and turn signals wire accordingly. NOT what is shown in the above photo.

Factory Terminal - Peterson Relay

B -RED (+)
    E - BLACK (-)
    L - GREEN (
    SWICHING)

When your all done it should look something like this. What is nice about this relay is that it is silent there is no audible clicking noise when the signal is flashing. and it always flashes the same speed no matter what configuration of bulbs and resistances or amp draws you have.

Flasher Relay #1.jpg

In the above picture the relay above flasher is your seatbelt relay (P# MB543230) and the gold cube below the Peterson relay is you door buzzer. The relay next to them to the right is my relay for my electric fuel pump so don't worry if you don't see this in your application.

The Peterson relay is kind of pricey around $25-$40 compared to these below relays off of ebay, amazon, etc. but I'm here to tell you whatever relay you decide to use make sure that the prongs positive and negative are not switched right to left like what is pictured below because they will not work for plug and play.... I found out the hard way and a lot of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why they wouldn't work. Also even if you buy the correct CF-13 flasher relay. A lot of them still won't work due to the very minimal draw on the system or you still might end up with some sort of hyperflash even though you have a LED flasher.

CF-14 FLASHER (WRONG)

Comparing the terminal locations in the above picture you can see they look the same but are different and none of these will work on our trucks due to there voltage rating doesn't read down to 0.01a or the prongs are flip flopped. I have tried all three of these exact relays form amazon or ebay and they don't work.

F.Y.I.- If you wire this in and still are having issue with your flashers look at the hazard switch on the dash next to steering column, wiggle it and fiddle with it turning it off and on. mine is going out and was making them work intermittently.

I hope this clears up some confusion on wiring and these flasher relays for everyone!

Array
    Status
    South Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about switching to LED's for a while now, but I knew it would throw off the flasher. This is just what I needed to know.

Array
    Status
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Good glad I could help!!