Array
    Status
    Rockbridge Ohio
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Gen 1 Toyota Brake Swap

Hello. I am new here and my son has an 86 D50 with a 360 380 horse crate engine, auto with reverse manual valve body,3000 stall converter, and 8 3/4 rear with 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. W e would like to convert front brakes with a little beefier disk brake and something with 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern to match the rear. I am sure that this has been covered before but I read somewhere that the Toyota pre-1995 2wd pick ups are 5x 4 1/2 and are a pretty straight forward swap. Is this accurate information and can somebody who has already done this to their gen 1 provide some info? Thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If your truck is a Gen 1, Gen 2 vented disc hub assemblies will swap straight on to the Gen 1 control arms without modification*. You can then swap twin piston calipers onto the hub assemblies for some serious stopping power. Gen 2's also had a factory LSD rear option which is one of the best upgrades you can do (the factory Mitsubishi LSD is the LM083 powerbrute LSD). Swap the brake master cylinder and booster from a newer Gen Mitsubishi and your braking system will move forward a decade or 2.

*use the complete assemblies - hubs, rotors and calipers. The main difference between Gen 1 and 2 is the brake caliper mounting location and the rotor offset. Trying to mix and match parts will cause grief, mainly with the Gen 2 calipers fouling the Gen 1 steering link arm ends.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Rockbridge Ohio
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If your truck is a Gen 1, Gen 2 vented disc hub assemblies will swap straight on to the Gen 1 control arms without modification*. You can then swap twin piston calipers onto the hub assemblies for some serious stopping power. Gen 2's also had a factory LSD rear option which is one of the best upgrades you can do (the factory Mitsubishi LSD is the LM083 powerbrute LSD). Swap the brake master cylinder and booster from a newer Gen Mitsubishi and your braking system will move forward a decade or 2.

*use the complete assemblies - hubs, rotors and calipers. The main difference between Gen 1 and 2 is the brake caliper mounting location and the rotor offset. Trying to mix and match parts will cause grief, mainly with the Gen 2 calipers fouling the Gen 1 steering link arm ends.
    i didn’t think that the Gen 2’s were 5 lug though?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They're the same lug pattern as Gen 1's. I offered this purely as a nut and bolt swap alternative which will retain the original front end geometry. I should've read your post more thoroughly as it appears you have done a rear swap. 89-95 Hilux hubs seem to be the preferred choice. I found an older post from the archives - http://www.mightyram50.net/phpbb3/vi...70&t=267#p1515
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Christiana, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I have seen people post they have had their hubs and rotors drilled to a 5 bolt pattern. I believe Moser is who had done theirs, but any custom axle shop should be able to do it.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by travhous View Post
    I have seen people post they have had their hubs and rotors drilled to a 5 bolt pattern. I believe Moser is who had done theirs, but any custom axle shop should be able to do it.
    I read through the archive and the original poster stated that the shop they took their hubs into couldn't do it due to the design of the Mitsubishi hubs. Towards the end of that thread another member posted the necessary parts and the sources to do the 6 to 5 lug swap.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    use Mitsubishi van hubs - still available from Mitsubishi, and will take the 2nd gen rotors as well, giving you a 5 x 4 1.2 bolt pattern.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ??? bearings & seals.
    Thx

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    use Mitsubishi van hubs - still available from Mitsubishi, and will take the 2nd gen rotors as well, giving you a 5 x 4 1.2 bolt pattern.
    The simplest option is usually the best. And it's still Mitsubishi hardware...

Array
    Status
    Rockbridge Ohio
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Van Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Can you tell me what year of van? Thanks k