Array
    Status
    ne, texas
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

water pump replacement

hello-need i remove the timing belt to change the water pump on a '93 mighty max w/a 2.4l engine? thank you.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey miniowner, sorry no one replied...stuff happens.

As I recall, yes the timing belt needs to come off, but it's been 5 or 6 years since I was deep into the engine. What I do know is that accessibility will be improved if you remove the timing belt.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    ne, texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    hey, thanx royster for the reply. got the truck w/timing belt done not too long ago, and apparently they didn't do the water pump at the same time. anyhow, pump is toast, and i just wanted to be ready to do the belt at the same time; i don't think you should put a used timing belt back on the engine, even though it's only done about 20k miles. truck runs amazingly well; don't want to do anything to change that. once again, thanx, and merry christmas.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    Sorry I missed this...I have the same year/engine combo as you -> Royster is spot on !
    A new belt is cheap insurance, also check the balance shaft belt & both belt tensioners .
    If there is the slightest doubt about condition replace as needed !!
    The Mitsu factory parts are still available as are excellent aftermarket pieces.
    & Yes these trucks are still amazing 30-35 years later.

LOL (at me) My manners sometimes.
    Welcome to the Forum

Array
    Status
    ne, texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thanx, claych. good advice, indeed. getting about 28mpg w/this truck; a sport model; full instrumentation, stripe, and i don't know what else comes w/it. but a really good, small truck. found some tundra aftermarket 16" rims at a garage sale for $10 each. with some 225/60 tires, she rolls wonderfully. merry christmas, and thanx for the welcome.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Be sure to post some pictures of this truck, miniownwer.

If you replace the timing belt, be sure to replace the tensioner, too. There is a kit available with both belts and tensioner. Not replacing the 'b' belt could prove troublesome down the road, so go all the way . On the parts truck I bought, the 'b' belt was shredded and stuffed into a corner, while the main timing belt was intact. It suggested to me that the 'b' belt had not been replaced when the main belt was, in order to 'save time'. Jus' sayin'.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    ne, texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    so i got the job done saturday. balance belt was broken and wrapped around its pulley on the crankshaft. put a new belt on both, a new water pump and a seal on the crankshaft, as it seemed that was where most of the gunk was located. also replaced the timing belt tensioner. got all the parts from rockauto, back a few months ago when they had a wholesalers clearance. not all that bad a job, but belt cover was very dirty, gunked up, and kinda hard to clean. all the timing marks were easily visible, and were lined up before i started. w/the balance shaft running now, it seems to have a little more vibration at idle, but a lot smoother up the rpm band. seemed a bit quieter, too. this was accomplished w/o a manual, just a coupla views of the uncovered front of the motor on youtube. pretty stoked about it and won't be afraid to go back in at a later date to replace more seals or whatever else comes up. old water pump had AISIN cast into it. maybe original? thanx for the posts, guys.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Nicely done !!,
    Happy New Year to You, now...
    >-No more posts without pictures- < (just kidding)