Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

4G63 Swap Verification

I have done extensive research on the 4g63 head swap onto the 4g64. However, there is only one thing left I still have questions on.

I have read conflicting posts about how you do or do not have to swap pistons from the 2g 4g64 to have valve reliefs for the 2g 4g63 heads.

I have to do head gaskets anyways, and I'm in no hurry to get the truck on the road besides passing inspection, so I figured I would go ahead and do it. I plan to turbo it later on, and a replacement, nice cam for a SOHC seems to be more expensive for smaller power than I want to endeavor into.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I have couple 4g64 8 valve reground cams if you interested

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Interesting. Were they ground back to stock spec, or did you get a new duration?

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    It has a 270 duration,465 lift

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    What is that compared to stock? And your asking price?
    For the right price, a cam with some decent overlap and/or duration over stock I wouldn't be sacred to try and push 10+psi, even if I send the rods to Valhalla.
    I looked on RPW, and couldn't find any valve spring upgrades for the 8V. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I haven't been able to find the information on the stock cam profile for these engines anywhere, so I'm not sure how much of a difference one would really be right off the bat.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I found one spec, and that is the valve timing off the stock cam. No duration or lift values yet. But the intake opens at 20 degrees and the exhaust closes at 20. So it appears 40 degrees of overlap from OE spec.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-...-/303150665374

these springs should work for you,i have similiar setup on cylinder head im building

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    a few austarion members swapped out the stock 2.0 for the 2.4. Head flow better. Use the 2.0 mechanical valvetrain
    Keep it all 2.4. Compression perfect for street turbo
    A few hot starion 2.6 prefer those beehive springs. Verify installed heights same as yours(most likely they are)
    Street starions made 400hp on stock mech cam (from caravan, Kcar or truck). 2.0 duration should be similar
    I'd just:
    1.get a good running 2.4 first
    2. decide what u route u gonna go for tuning and install the goodies
    then 3. turbocharge. Add the cam lastly as a single mod so u could evaluate its affectiveness

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I have couple 4g64 8 valve reground cams if you interested
    It has a 270 duration,465 lift
    these springs should work for you,i have similiar setup on cylinder head im building
    Mech or hydraulic ? Any feedback on their actual performance ? What company ground em ?

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    The hydraulic, and haven't tried them out yet,american custom cam did the work

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    not one of the mainstream label cam services, but the grind quality/control is what matters.
    Someone recommended American ? Seen way too many grinders get it wrong(even popular brands), resulting in poor performance

re PM
    my 2.4 runs perfect as is. Bought all new timing stuff to freshen. Good time to swap mechanical valvetrain & cam
    Plan is to megasquirt/injectors/pump (tune), then turbocharge.... turn it up slowly
    Last mod will be cam + valve springs + seals. Most likely on a brand new 2.4 cyl head

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    In terms of keep everything 2.4, you are saying to keep my 8V SOHC and swap 2.0L valve train onto it? Or should the 16V flow better? I assume it would, but I dont know much on these motors yet. My experience lies more with SBC/LS, SBF, and KA's.

I plan to run a standalone, something like or equivalent to Megasquirt which is what I've always recommended for turning KA's, with bigger inectors, boost-a-pump or new unit.

My 2.4L has low miles, in my eyes, so I was surprised to see the head gasket go (maybe head cracked, tbd).

I'll take the advice though and then figure my cam/upgraded valvetrain out after fitting the turbo/system.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 16v 2.4 will flow better. But it is still only a SOHC and there are limitations to what you can do to it as far as swapping manifolds etc. You could use a Kia/Hyundai head and do the preferred twin cam upgrade to go turbo. All of the turbo manifolds are cross compatible and I have a feeling the 2.4 Kia Optima intake faces the right way for a RWD application...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    boosted SOHC can make excellent street torque, and more power than u can use (responsibly)
    A handful of austarion members who have experienced various SOHC 2.0/2.4 setups with the boost cranked up..... all claim DOHC is a waste of time VS, unless chasing big power numbers or track duty(high rpm)

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    Always a pleasure reading Your posts dash !!

Quote Originally Posted by dash
    The boosted SOHC can make excellent street torque, and more power than u can use (responsibly)
    Quote Originally Posted by claych
    with respects , & the SOHC 16 valve is an 'interference ' design

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    I fell the same way about the sohc making power,
    That why I had a cylinder head ported and polished with oversize stainless steel valves, springs,chromemoly retainers,and the cam 20191205_093933.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Rahtid; 12-05-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nice port work Taking some metal off the valve guide shrouds on the intake side definitely helps improve flow - you do the work or did you get a shop to handle it?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Rahtid
    Could I impose for pics of the exhaust port work ?
    Thank You.
    Further, there is a huge amount of info in those pics .
    With permission__
    The surface pattern on the head was created by an rotary broach ?

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So from this information I beleive I have made a decision.

I plan to drive the truck on the street. My goal HP, eventually, would be around 300-350whp.

I'm going to keep the 8V SOHC and mate it with the 2.0L valvetrain as suggested. I will be purchasing a T3/T4, and making my own turbo manifold/charge piping. I will be using Megasquirt for my ECU. I just haven't decided to run fuel only or just bite the bullet for a nicer dist, or ign. coil swap it.

I will get with my local machine shop with my 8V head to look into a port and polish. Any recommendations on what works well with this combo?

Also, as far as the MAF, I'm not quite sure what the stock ones will be able to handle once the "choo-choo-choo-choo-choo!" maker starts pumping some psi.

After all is setup, I'm not rich, so tax time is my go to for the ecu and misc., then I will start looking into where I am, how I like the numbers, and what to do from there as far as cam, upgraded springs, and head.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That head looks line prestine work by the way!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Image #7 is exhaust ports. Looks like the port walls have been smoothed out and the guide shroud has been ground back but the overall port size hasn't been tampered with. You didn't opt to seal up the EGR gallery through the head from #4 exhaust port?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'd only diy mild cleanup if u port. Really no need if boosting. Starion 2.6 sohc does low 9s with untouched head
    I plan on custom manifold with t3/t4 60-1... a proven low boost SOHC killer performer on 2.3 ford and starion 2.6

Stock 2.4 distributor same as a DSM cam angle sensor. Can configure ecu to run coil pack if u like. No more MAF

Shortly after I'd mod the stock intake plenum to bigger/front facing. Swiped a few pix of austarion over the years on my pc

I mentioned a time or two, I'm going with our starion clubmember megasquirt. Reasonable cost. Knows/owns/tunes the turbo sohc
    Many TBI & MPI starquests successfully launched off his platform. What could be better ?

Add a (good)cam/springs later, then a custom shorter runner, bigger plenum custom intake if impressed
    On a good tune, I'm sure it'll fry the tires 1st three gears

here is a beast of a sample. 300hp atw @11psi only!!! Over the top build tho. No need to get that seriou$$$
    http://www.sigma-galant.com/forum/vi...t=anchor+sigma

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    He killed it with the adjustable cam gear and not running pistons with fly cut reliefs machined into them. One night of running it at 340rwhp - boom, no more valve train. To be honest the turbo manifold was nasty too. Those Sigmas never came with injected turbo engines from factory and I'd almost be wondering if it actually was a G63B 2.0 as a lot of 1.8 Cordia turbo engines were used for transplants. One model of Sigma did come with a unique 4G52 draw through turbo that really hauled ass from factory.

*I just logged back on to S-G.com for the first time in years. Apparently the original site is so broken that most of the archives and posts are missing. I still have admin privileges

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    i think he got that 2.4 from 'oldie' on austarion. The 2.4 Staz ripped. Tuning mishap wiped it out
    Several fast sohc 2.4 stazs. '4g64b' was also ~340hp, gt30(/40 hybrid) @15psi only
    Stock pistons! and a much simpler build. Sorta what I'm chasing

A few fast mpi 2.0 sohc staz @20-30psi also
    http://www.beyondthelimit.com.au/sca/members/index.htm
    used to featue some excellent specimens/articles. Can't find the info now. Coltspeed had some as well
    one ran 10sec 1/4s, and was a circuit car not even set up for drag. SOHC can perform

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast