Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Cluster Light Issue

I have searched the forum, but have come up with no solution. The cluster illumination does not work on my '95 MM. The parking lights come on. I have pulled the cluster, checked bulbs, and cleaned it. I checked voltage at the switch, and it was only showing around 1v. I'm not sure if there is an extra ground or not. Being that my truck will need to be inspected soon, I have to get these working.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Upon further review....
    I took the front cover off the cluster so I could see the bottom bulbs. If I turn the bulb as if I were taking it out then it will light up, but as soon as I twist it back to tighten it, it goes back out. Not sure what to do here. I've cleaned the cluster. There was a bad residue/hard substance on the contact portion. *Frustration rising*

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Problem solved. Found a small break in the contact area. Put tinfoil under the light and turned it to lock in place. Dash lights operating perfectly now.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I have managed to fix these sort of issues by using a fine metal polishing compound and paper towel (I use Autosol compound in tubes - awesome stuff...) Once the copper surfaces are bright, give them a buff up with a fresh piece of paper towel to remove any remaining compound. The bulb bayonets can be given a light buff up with very fine steel wool (0000 grade). You can swap them for T10 LED wedge bulbs to really brighten up the cluster and you can get them uber cheap on ebay in bags of 10. They are polarity sensitive so you have to install them all the same way.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    If you have a circuit board issue they make a sharpie like pen in gold that is meant to draw the lines of the circuit to repair them. the ink is conductive. It is meant for a remote control but if you had a small break on a circuit and removed the coating I see no reason it would not work.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    This seems to be a bigger issue now.
    The lights were working. But things got weird.

The wire going into the switch as 12v with the lights on. However, as soon as I plug the wire coming out of the switch in, it cuts the 12v.

Even if I take both wires and plug them into each other, it drops the 12v's to 0.

Any idea on this? My mind is scrambled right now.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm assuming the switch operates as a ground. Though, I am not sure. The wiring of these trucks are all new to me and I can't find a diagram for the dimmer to save my life.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    did you ever get this figured out? which switch are you referring to by the way, is it the actual headlight switch or the dimmer rheostat with the little but connectors on it? ive got an 87' with a different engine but im sure the dash lighting circuit is similar to yours so i may be able to help.

Array
    Status
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I did figure it out. It resulted into a bad connection on the cluster itself where the copper had rubbed off.

StarquestMan: If the wiring is the same, then check the box located at the driver's side fender under the hood. It has fusible links in there that are known to corrode. You can grab hold of the wires and and pull them out to check for corrosion. Clean them and make sure they are seated back properly. What exact issue are you having? No dash lights only? No headlights or taillights as well? I went through my entire harness doing continuity checks to lead me back to my cluster, so I may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Appreciate that info 85Ram50! Ordering a few of those now.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Low9Life4 View Post
    I did figure it out. It resulted into a bad connection on the cluster itself where the copper had rubbed off.

StarquestMan: If the wiring is the same, then check the box located at the driver's side fender under the hood. It has fusible links in there that are known to corrode. You can grab hold of the wires and and pull them out to check for corrosion. Clean them and make sure they are seated back properly. What exact issue are you having? No dash lights only? No headlights or taillights as well? I went through my entire harness doing continuity checks to lead me back to my cluster, so I may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Appreciate that info 85Ram50! Ordering a few of those now.
    oops didn't see your post until now. mine doesn't have any issues currently. i was going to help you troubleshoot your wiring but you got it figured out