Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

New Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Having nearly 30 year old brake lines on a truck is dangerous and makes for some spongy brakes. OEM rubber lines came with some fade from the factory as its inherent with all rubber lines. The advent of Braided Stainless technology has made it so your brake lines wont deform/fade under pressure and with the internal PTFE (Teflon) liners they last longer than you or I. Luckily I have access to the proper tooling, fittings and test equipment to make these lines.

Decided to fix our 4x4 V6 Truck this weekend. Here is how we started with all stock minus the Gen2 Moni calipers.

Luckily I dont live in the rust belt, so these came off pretty easily. Only one or two put up a fight.

Some of you may not know this but the 4x4 Max uses 2 lines on each front wheel. Made each line, then pressure tested to over 3,000psi to exceed DOT spec. All passed.

Two new lines for the front Passenger vs the two old lines.

All plumbed up and installed on the fronts. Added new retainers as well.

Tackled the rear axle next. Fabricated them about an inch longer to make sure I had additional room for flex. Quite a bit faster to do than the fronts.

Wrapped it all back up, flushed out the old brake fluid, bled the system and took her out for a stroll. Brakes feel much better and firmer. I get greater feedback from the pedal and I also don't feel like i have to press as far, or as hard to get the brakes to start biting.

For how inexpensive an upgrade this was its worth every penny. Sure, we all want to go faster, but do we think about how much faster we need to stop our vehicles? Also if any of us have swapped out the factory wheels and tires for bigger ones, your brakes now have to work harder and your truck takes longer to stop due to that added sprung weight.

Anyways great upgrade all around.
    Last edited by B-Line; 02-25-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Actually, brakes are a common topic here. The main request how to upgrade Gen 1 solid rotors and single piston calipers by swapping to Gen 2 brake and steering hub assemblies. Gen 1 brakes are 'adequate' until you push them hard, then they become a little scary. Luckily it's a nut and bolt swap to change them over. The other request for info is rear disc/axle swaps. This is a little more complicated as parking brake cables need to be modified and then there's the question of brake bias control.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what does a set of front and rear stainless brake line run for a 2wd 1980 D50?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Great write up and great looking product too! So are these DOT compliant then? And are you willing to sell kits? If so I would be interested in one for my 90’ 4x4.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Glad to hear its a common topic. Yes, ive already upgraded to 2nd Generation Montero calipers and rotors for the front end. That upgrade was already a nice touch. Now that I have added the Stainless Braided lines its helped to firm up the brake feel even more. The added bonus is that I wont have to change these out ever again because the high quality materials are designed to last longer than you or I. I like that fact that the lines will take extreme off road abuse and it helps that they look very professional.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    what does a set of front and rear stainless brake line run for a 2wd 1980 D50?
    Sure. My documentation goes back to 83-86 for Dodge, but some of my Plymouth info goes back to 1979 indicating it could be the same. Can you help me confirm your setup is identical?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Great write up and great looking product too! So are these DOT compliant then? And are you willing to sell kits? If so I would be interested in one for my 90’ 4x4.
    Thank you. We try to make nice products for our customers. This was a side project, but if enough of you all are interested I can look into a production run?

Charger I've already got yours figured out, so I would just need to know if you made any modifications to your truck height. How many inches lifted or lowered and have you swapped out any of the stock brake components like me for 2nd Gen Montero front Calipers?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Great! I can’t say I’ve seen anyone else offer such a complete set. Are you going to do this for all the years and model configurations? I’ll pm you my info on my truck as it’s a little different. Also How many people would you need for a run?

Im surprised more people don’t seem interested. I hope more join in.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Happy to look into all years and makes (2wd, 4x4, ans so forth) for this platform. Actually you bring up a good point. I built my own lines partially because i have the specialized tooling in our shop to already do it to DOT requirements, but because there is nothing else out there.

The more people the better for pricing. More requested sets, the better discounts I get on raw product.

I could start a separate thread if that would better generate interest?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Wanted to chime in.

I received my 1990 Mighty Max V6 4x4 Lines in the mail last week. I ordered the Black lines with Silver Inserts because I like a stock look. I do have to say that I really like the build quality of these. Unlike other Chinese units that I have purchased for my other cars , these are sturdy and have some mass to them. Aren't they built here in the US too? They appear to be very strong and should outlast what off-roading I plan to throw at them.

I had them extend my rear line to the axle 1 inch as i plan to flex it out a bit. I should have taken more pictures, but here are a couple. These are the front 2 lines for one side. You can see that they are quality and have aluminum sleeves vs rubber/silicon I've seen elsewhere.

And here they are installed. Fit very well!

Thanks for offering this product! Now that I know these fit I would like to get another set for my other truck and possibly for my fathers as well. Is there going to be a group buy, or should I buy direct?

Also would you be willing to branch out to other Mitsubishi models like say the 3000GT, Montero, Starion, etc?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 04-29-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Fix pics display

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Line View Post
    Happy to look into all years and makes (2wd, 4x4, ans so forth) for this platform. Actually you bring up a good point. I built my own lines partially because i have the specialized tooling in our shop to already do it to DOT requirements, but because there is nothing else out there.
    The more people the better for pricing. More requested sets, the better discounts I get on raw product.
    This public post is My order validation for 3 lines-- 1993 2x4 standard cab 4g64 5 speed.
    As I do not do payputz I will send You a Cashiers Check, after the $ clear send Me the lines.
    P/M Me your address
    Thx!!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Chargerx3, I’m glad you like your new set of lines. Running a few inches longer wasn’t an issue either. They look good on your truck! And yes these are built here in the US using high quality DOT approved lines and fittings. You are right in that there are quite a few other lower quality Chinese knock offs out there. Be careful as some have been known to fail or not fit correctly and do not meet DOT standards. I appreciate your honest feedback.

Im all for a group buy if we can get enough people. I think the savings would be worth it. I’ll look into starting a thread next week.

I will look into other Mitsubishi vehicles as well. What are some models you all would like to see lines for?

claych, you got it bud. I appreciate you reaching out. I’ll get working on your orders next week. I’ll send you a pm back with the details and a cashiers check is fine.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Little teaser shot for Claych. Built his custom Front and Rear set with Black Stainless lines and Black collars. Has an OEM feel to it, so nice call! As an added bonus bud I went ahead and indexed the lines to that of the OEM Mitsubishi lines I already had on hand. This should make the installation that much simpler and smoother for you bud. And as always we test our lines to DOT certification, which includes pressure testing each line to over 3,000 PSI before packaging them up.

Hope you enjoy.

Now to help put in perspective how old all of our lines are, this picture below what age does to rubber. You may not know it, but everyone's trucks on here are at least 25 years old and up to 41 years old. Rubber lines are only designed to last up to 7 years. They are considered a consumable part and must be inspected and replaced as necessary. I was a bit shocked to see the lines below, and yes they had a slow leak. These lines are also from a part of the country where its not overly wet or humid, so they would be considered better off than most. I imagine these are best case scenario for most 30 year old lines. Be safe out there.

Onto the new Lines.

These should last you a lifetime. Let me know how installation goes!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 04-29-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Fix pics display

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    !!!
    I most certainly will report back with install info & pics.
    Thank You for providing this service

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    How much would a set of these be for a 1980 Plymouth Arrow - 2wd 2.0? My brakes are mushy as hell lately and it's scary

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by haruman View Post
    How much would a set of these be for a 1980 Plymouth Arrow - 2wd 2.0? My brakes are mushy as hell lately and it's scary
    I could look into these. Shoot me a PM, but i will need to you verify motor size, if its disc or drum, or mix.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Another Update:

All of you 1990-1995 4x4 V6 owners now have a new Hydraulic Clutch Line replacement. We were inspecting our 91 4x4 and decided to tackle this project as well. Good thing we did, because this line was already showing some severe cracking in the line as well as right at the fitting. What is worse is that there is some bubbling in the line from heat. Yes, it got so hot that it caused the rubber to liquefy. We are confident this is due to its proximity to the exhaust and its excessive heat.

Good news is we have the correct solution and replacement. One that wont deteriorate.

You will need to reuse your banjo fitting clip and bolt, but we will get you new retainers and brass washers.

Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 04-29-2022 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Fix pics display

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Again, what you will receive when purchasing one of our 90-95 4x4 V6 Truck Hydraulic Clutch Lines (except the dirty banjo retainer and bolt that will need to be reused).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 04-29-2022 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Fix pics display

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    And a quick shot of the Clutch Line Installed.

Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 04-29-2022 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Fix pics display

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    New banjo bolt included ???
    Thx.
    Edit,
    ? The photo is not from a' trailer build' .
    hope that makes sense.
    Thx again.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    ^^^
    New banjo bolt included ???
    Thx.
    Edit,
    ? The photo is not from a' trailer build' .
    hope that makes sense.
    Thx again.
    No new banjo bolt or retainer clip. Reuse your original. Please see above.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Line View Post
    Another Update:

All of you 1990-1995 4x4 V6 owners now have a new Hydraulic Clutch Line replacement. We were inspecting our 91 4x4 and decided to tackle this project as well. Good thing we did, because this line was already showing some severe cracking in the line as well as right at the fitting. What is worse is that there is some bubbling in the line from heat. Yes, it got so hot that it caused the rubber to liquefy. We are confident this is due to its proximity to the exhaust and its excessive heat.

OLb7fjO.jpg

CSbkx1I.jpg

Good news is we have the correct solution and replacement. One that wont deteriorate.

0SJjwGI.jpg

You will need to reuse your banjo fitting clip and bolt, but we will get you new retainers and brass washers.

7tW20Iw.jpg

aYq9INP.jpg

rroVHQ9.jpg

cp5ttK1.jpg

cp5ttK1.jpg

Yes!!! PM incoming. So this will fit all 90-95 4x4 V6? And i only need to reuse my bolt and what looks like an alignment clip correct? Glad you are throwing in the crush washers too as I tend to lose mine the second I pull mine off the car.

Funny thing you mentioning the heat issue. Now that im running the 3.8 MIVEC im sure its getting toasty. Really hope this firms up the pedal too.

PM inbound and again thanks for offering these!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Yes!!! PM incoming. So this will fit all 90-95 4x4 V6? And i only need to reuse my bolt and what looks like an alignment clip correct? Glad you are throwing in the crush washers too as I tend to lose mine the second I pull mine off the car.

Funny thing you mentioning the heat issue. Now that im running the 3.8 MIVEC im sure its getting toasty. Really hope this firms up the pedal too.

Chargerx3 I thought you would like the news. Yes, these will fit your truck. You will need to reuse your existing banjo bolt and the alignment clip. Both of those should be in fine working order. The crush washers are a one time use item, so i will include new ones as well as the retaining clips for the lines as those tend to break or rust.

With your higher HP MIVEC motor and heat this swap should be a no brainer.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

Chargerx3 I thought you would like the news. Yes, these will fit your truck. You will need to reuse your existing banjo bolt and the alignment clip. Both of those should be in fine working order. The crush washers are a one time use item, so i will include new ones as well as the retaining clips for the lines as those tend to break or rust.

With your higher HP MIVEC motor and heat this swap should be a no brainer.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    With respects, I have replaced many overtorqued banjo bolts .

^^
    generic 'web context' example

???Maybe provide an 21'st century banjo bolt upgrade to go along with 21'st century lines???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast