Array
    Status
    salt lake city, UT
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question 1995 2wd Head Gasket

I replaced my thermostat, but put it in the wrong way (rookie move) which overheated my motor real fast and blew it. Ridiculous amount of white smoke coming out the tail pipe and some liquid. I've been trying to figure out if the head is steel or aluminium for warping. I'm 17 in auto classes in high school, so I have access to tools. Any help would be awesome. This is my first post Thank You in advanced!!!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    gezer???.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    All of Mitsubishis engines are alloy head. Don't panic straight away - you may simply have had the gasket fail but either way, you will need to take the head off for an inspection. I'm going to guess that your engine is a 4G64 - is it fuel injected? Do not go milling the head true if it is warped. I wouldn't recommend doing it under normal circumstances but the 4G64 is known for snapping cams from overheating as the cam beds are no longer true, causing the cam to bind in it's journals (it won't do it every time but we've seen it happen enough on the site to know there's a risk...) If you know a shop that has an oven that can bake the head and press it straight, that is the correct way to rectify the issue. Only other way out is a replacement head.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    salt lake city, UT
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yes my motor is the 4g64 and it's carbureted. That was my plan to take the head off and inspect everything. I don't really know what you mean by the cam beds if I am being completely honest with you. When inspecting the head is there any major things to look for?? Thank you so much I really appreciate the help.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The cam 'bed' is the area under the rocker cover where the cam runs through. You will get a flag that something is wrong when you remove the head and try to rotate the cam by turning the cam gear and it feels like it's frozen in place. There will be some resistance normally from the load of the valve springs but if it's really tight, the head may be badly warped. You'll be able to see where coolant has bypassed the head gasket. A visual inspection of the combustion chambers may show if there are any cracks but depending on the situation, it should go into a shop for pressure testing and check over to see if the face of the head is true. Check the cam journals for scoring - if they are ripped up or have uneven wear marks in them, the head might not be much good. If your engine is a 4G64, it should be EFI (doesn't mean that someone hasn't retrofitted a carb + intake manifold - it has happened before) otherwise it's a G63B 2.0.

If the head is viable (not warped) I would do the following - thorough clean, pressure test, weld any corroded coolant ports up and have the face skimmed lightly, install a complete VRS kit (new head gasket, manifold gaskets, rocker cover gasket and rear cam seal, new valve stem seals). If you aren't under time restraints you can tidy up the intake ports yourself. You don't need an air grinder and carbide tips to do it, a power drill and a small flap sander that will fit into the ports is enough to remove sharp edges and smooth out the walls. Nothing crazy, but small things like this can smooth out idle and make the engine more efficient at what it does. If you are apprehensive at giving this a shot, watch a bunch of youtube videos and learn how to tackle the basics. Extensive port work will cost you a bomb of cash through a shop but if you DIY it, you get to decide how much time and effort you want to put into it.

*DO NOT LET A SHOP TALK YOU INTO MACHINING A WARPED HEAD WITHOUT PUTTING IT THROUGH AN OVEN AND HAVING IT PRESSED STRAIGHT FIRST (this is just my opinion but it is based on experience - you may get away with it but if it doesn't work out you've blown your money and you'll be stuck with trying to fix it yet again). If they can't/won't do it, try somewhere else. Trying to mill a warped head will not correct the cam journal alignment and can alter the capacity of the combustion chambers from cylinder to cylinder. Once you mill a warped head, there's no way of going back to true it up. There is an acceptable tolerance to how much variation from spec before it will technically need repairing/machining. Be smart about what you'll need to do if the head needs a lot of work. You might get lucky and find a decent head from a JY or the other option is buy a fresh head from ebay etc. You will still need to buy a complete VRS kit to reinstall the head so factor that in to the repair cost as well.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacM16 View Post
    Yes my motor is the 4g64 and it's carbureted. That was my plan to take the head off and inspect everything. I don't really know what you mean by the cam beds if I am being completely honest with you. When inspecting the head is there any major things to look for?? Thank you so much I really appreciate the help.
    ^^^
    With very humble respects, please post pictures of Your 4g64 with a carburetor.

Thank You.