Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

I knew that was a bad sound ...

I had my truck out today romping through a housing construction sight my friend was clearing for the contractor, and the terrain was hardly perfect, but not the worse stuff I have ever put the truck through. I was crawling along in 1st gear/4lo on the wooded edge of the clearing, almost back to the paved road leading out, when the truck grabbed a dozer rut and got thrown sideways pretty hard. I dumped the clutch and wailed the brakes quickly as the truck came to rest, and as it did I heard a loud crunching noise, and the passenger side rear corner of the truck seemed to "give out" is if I had just gotten a flat back there. I had everything I would need to change a flat in the dirt so I really wasn't worried I'd be stuck, but when I climbed out and checked the tire it was perfectly fine. I was curious about what that noise was, so before I tried driving away and put the truck back on the road I looked underneath...
    I regret being so cautious now
    Now, I have known the rusty frame in my daily truck is on borrowed time as it is, and I have already patched it a few times just to keep the truck solid and useable, but all the rust is definitely starting to take it's toll now on the truck. I had snapped off and crushed what was left of the spring perch on that rear corner, and although I drove the truck home with no problem, this is definitely something that is going to have to be fixed quickly to keep using the truck safely. My plans for the spring and summer of 2012 have been established now, because now it is imperative that I finish rebuilding the other frame I have and just swap bodies for now. I'll finish the show body whenever and drop that one on the frame later on. I hate living in the northeast.
    Le sigh...

driver's side

passenger side

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    LoL... Dude.... Holey crap, Thats fricking nasty.. Couple of tack welds and some rust stop and she will be as good as new... LoL. The cross member is gone..
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    NJ
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    LoL... Dude.... Holey crap, Thats fricking nasty.. Couple of tack welds and some rust stop and she will be as good as new... LoL. The cross member is gone..
    Yeah, the frame is pretty much toast, but milking the daily driver is cheaper than buying a new truck, so I just keep at it. The 31" spare is already mounted in the bed because I didn't trust it on that crossmember, winch, or chain. I've already ordered bolt in Jeep shackle hangers from Summit for a quick fix, so after Christmas I'll spend a night in the garage again being creative

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Man, I though MY frame was in rough shape. I feel for ya!