Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Headlights and dash

I've driven about 100 miles since the interior was done. Its driving OK except the idle going up once its warm.
    So it is that time of year when the daylight around western Oregon pretty much looks like dusk all day because of the rain clouds. So I use my headlights all the time. I noticed something today, the turn signal lights in the dash light up when I turn on the headlights. The left one is dim almost too hard to see and the right one is very brightly lit. The ;left still flashes normally the right one flashes some then quits.
    Any ideas what might cause this? The turn signals work normally no problem with the headlights off.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The idle issue - did you set the idle when it was hot or cold? You will need to adjust both the mixture and idle adjust screws. Make sure the idle is fully backed off and then set the mixture screw so the engine will run, then adjust the idle (if it won't idle with the throttle nearly closed there's a problem somewhere) And to eliminate this as part of the problem - disconnect the throttle cable and start the engine. If the idle still goes up when it's @ operating temp then the throttle cable adjustment/return can be crossed off the list. Give the throttle linkage, inner throttle cable and the shafts a hit with a light spray lube and see if it helps with throttle return.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    No ideas about the dash turn signal lights?
    I set timing from a cold start. I have not messed with the adjustment of the Weber since I put on a new one out of box. This is the same issue I had before I replaced the old Weber except that it is not as bad.
    The idle goes up when I am driving and I notice it when I come to a stop. If I rev it once it goes down to normal. I've never let it sit and run long enough to see if it would go up.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Assuming the lighting problem appeared only after the interior work, did you have to touch any wiring to complete the interior work? If so that might be a good place to start looking for this gremlin. Also, what happens if you activate the hazard switch with the head lights off, and then turn on the headlights? Lastly, do you have an Ohm meter and wiring schematics that identify the ground locations, connectors and the wires by their color codes? These will help diagnose the problem if it's a ground or in a switch.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    One other possibility - Check the front turn signal/parking light bulbs and sockets (especially the right one). Part listings show the 1st Gen trucks have two filament bulbs (they're single filament on 2nd Gens). A bad bulb or socket might be making a connection between the parking light and turn signal circuits causing the symptoms you described.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the suggestions. Disconnecting the connector on the dimmer switch was a big pia. Actually the gauges and turn signals did not work until I installed the electric fuel pump. Some dodge mechanic had hooked up the Mikuni cut off solenoid wire to the starter motor and that apparently was shorting out the dash. I do not remember the last time I drove it in the dark so I do not remember what the dash lit up is supposed to look like. But I would think that the turn signal lights would only come on when the signal was on.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OMFG, what possessed anyone to think bridging the the fuel cut off to the starter motor was a good idea (that wire is live the whole time the ignition is on)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I would think that the turn signal lights would only come on when the signal was on.
    Correct. Whether the parking lights are on or off, one of the cluster arrow and the corresponding exterior signal lights should illuminate when the turn signal lever is moved up or down. Similarly, if you turn on the hazard (4-way flasher) switch, both cluster arrows and all exterior signal lights should also flash with or without the headlights being on. With the signal and hazard switches off, if the cluster arrows illuminate when you turn on the parking lights, the two circuits are joined due to a fault or incorrect wiring.

To find the fault or a PO screw-up, start with the front signal assemblies as mentioned earlier, then check the combination (turn signal/headlight) switch, the cluster circuit board and the hazard switch for shorted or incorrect wiring that has joined these two circuits that should be separate. It's a process of elimination, but with a volt/ohm meter and schematics, you should be able to find the problem and fix it.

I have only Gen2 schematics and I didn't find any Gen1 diagrams in the technical manuals section nor in the Haynes manual (they look like Gen2). Maybe check with other forum members if you need the Gen1 wiring diagrams.
    Last edited by FMS88; 10-20-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I tried the blinkers and walked around they work fine headlights off. Turn headlights on and there are no exterior turn signals. Hazzards work fine then headlights on 3 do not flash and the driver rear flashes dimly. I do not look forward to chasing this bug but thank you just the same FMS88
    Hey Geez You are the guy who pointed out to me that wire is hot full time with the key on. I should have put more effort into figuring things out but I had so much crap going on I couldn't put the time into it then. I figured the dealership guys would at least do no harm.
    I took some time today and mess with the carb after I drove somewhere and it was idling higher. I got it to die turning the idle mixture screw in. I reset it back to where it was and turns out I am not worried about the idle going up It is not that bad and when I drove it later for a while the idle stayed at the elevated level without continuing upward like it used to. and It drops to normal cold start idle if I hit the pedal. I did pull the hose between the carb and distributor, there is no vacuum or anything I could detect going on there. ????? It's on the driver side of the carb at the bottom and goes to the diaphragm thing on the dist.Should I be getting vacuum from the carb side? I did not check if it were coming from the Dist side since that just seemed stupid.

I have also noticed I have a leak on my rad. Dam thing is only a couple of years old got it with the new head.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you've hooked up the vac for the distributor in the right place, there shouldn't be any vacuum until the throttle is opened up or you'd have vac advance continuously (not good). Electrical gremlins are a PITA to hunt down... Could be a bad connector, corrosion in a bulb socket, sketchy ground, a tired relay...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My instincts tell me the light & wiper switch assembly could cause the signal light flasher light problem..? Maybe, I dunno..? Please keep at it, everyone's safety is everyone's concern... Good hunting...

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Does anyone know if the side markers are supposed to indicate when the turn signal is on?

There was only one place on each unit to connect that vac hose geez

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My side marker lights don't blink, could maybe mod the to blink

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The side markers aren't part of the indicator circuit? They are on Australian domestic market sold trucks... bet the indicators are available from Thailand on ebay.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK Xbox, Geez. I had it in my head I saw it flash when testing it previously. Since its a US model I'll assume I was mistaken and that is one less thing to worry about. I've not done anything with it because I feel like hell can't sleep and its been in the 20's overnight here for a bit. Nice and sunny later in the day but I'm not feeling it.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn, that is plenty cold enough. Here I am in the driest state on the driest continent on Earth and we've been getting about 100 during the day (really unseasonal temps - 20 degrees hotter than average)

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Cold SUX I feel your PAIN 85Ram50 keep warm my friend... I've owned domestic cars in Japan & USA, some of them had side markers that blinked in coordination with the turn signals... The side marker light would flash when the fwd and rear light were dim AND then opposite would happen on next blink fwd and rear lights blink & side makers dimmed simultaneously... Make sense..? Poor English on my part, please excuse... Musta been one of the older model cars I owned, new cars have combo lights that include side marking & do it all (all at once)...

I would imagine the side marker lights on these trucks could be wired to blink alternately with the turn signals; a plug & play thing inserted into the existing wiring... Having blinking side marker lights would make driving these old trucks SAFER for sure...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The side markers were only a 2 pin socket that ran in parallel to the indicators off the front bumper. The US wiring harness might actually be different (be weird if it was) and not have the extensions on the harness for the side indicator markers. Having side indicators is helpful when turning on a roundabout as there are moments when the front and rear markers aren't visible.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Noticed there are many YouTube videos "How to Modify side marker lights to flash with turn signals..." Even side markers with only two wires...