Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

New 2.4 oil pump, Notchy??

Putting a fresh head on my 4g64 and new oil pump etc. was about to instal timing belt and the oil pump gear won’t “fall over” so I can time the oil pump/balance shaft It seems notchy, and makes it worse when I forgive the silent shaft above the oil pump.
    Am I missing something or it is because the pump is dry? I even tried pouring oil in the pump

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    As I recall, the shaft will only spin in one direction. The most tension is between the cam cog and the oil pump cog. Not sure what to recommend, and I hope someone comes along and can give better advice.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What else have you done while installing the oil pump? The pump gears should allow the pump sprocket to spin both ways. If you wanna get to know the ins and outs of 4G6X engines, watch Jafromobiles' channel on youtube. He is thorough and explains the whats and whys. He has a stellar video on 6 and 7 bolt oil pumps and also the process of balance shaft deletes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhyazI1fYc
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Here’s the back story, bought a 145k mile truck for parts, kept motor for my 4x4 Ram 50. Had a blown head gasket, had fresh head done, wanted to replace oil pump and all seals etc. I was very concerned about aftermarket oil pumps since I couldn’t get a melling or Mitsubishi and here I am lol... I bought a enginetech off rock auto. Pump didn’t feel smooth before I put it on, thought it was because it was dry. Well got it all bolted up and even put some oil in it and it’s hard to turn or notchy almost like a bent Silent shaft? I was trying to set the timing in oil pump gear with timing belt when I realized it. It not smooth at all and won’t fall to either side so I can time it correctly. Needed up removing everything and sticking the old pump back on the engine and it’s 85% better I guess I got a bad pump? My luck.

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Here is pictures of my silent shaft and bearing. It turns smoothly without the pump just thought I’d ad this in
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think that was a wise move. Let's say hypothetically you installed this pump and straight up started the engine and the pump shredded metal for some reason - it would've potentially killed your engine in minutes. Hope you can get in touch with the supplier and get this sorted out.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hope so, I was concerned about the shaft and bearings until I tried the oil pump. Anyone have any recommendations on pumps? I see bad reviews with dnj so I went with rock auto. Not sure what to do now on a pump