Thread: Added Lift

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    also notice the grind was for duration, not for lift. There is a max lift on these motors that if exceeded, gain you nothing. On the 2.6, you can get valves that are swirl polished and reduced stem at the valve head for better flow as well as a larger head. not sure if the 2.4 has valves like that available.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ???
    Humble respects ---
    My research indicates - ALL 4 cyl Mitsubishi balance shaft engines have an undersquare bore to stroke ratio ???

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    ???
    Humble respects ---
    My research indicates - ALL 4 cyl Mitsubishi balance shaft engines have an undersquare bore to stroke ratio ???
    Correct. Found this Mitsubishi enthusiasts page with a bunch of stats and engine designation numbers as a reference which might be good to add to a wiki page(?) - http://mitsipedia.info/index.php?title=Astron
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I will have to have a look. I'm assuming the 1.8 has the exhaust on the proper side like our trucks?

I'm still leaning towards using the 2.0 head I have... I just wish there was an easy was to fill the voids with the air valves are...

I wish I had the ability to Tig Weld... I would fill those in. You would get a crazy compression though which might not be good for turbocharging or supercharging.. since i still haven't made up my mind which I will do.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    All of the SOHC 4G6X engines of this generation are configured this way. Using a complete head off a 4G62 should not only bump up compression, but the cam should be slightly more aggressive as well. Some engine builders who work with turbos are saying stuff like "build the best NA engine you can, then turbocharge it...". I'm not even close to being able to comment on the ethos behind that but having high compression on a forced induction engine sounds like a trip to detonation land.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I do know the "Little Red Wagon" ran a 12.5 compression ratio Hemi with a Supercharger for years on the wheelstanding circuit.

I would think forced induction and high compression would give you insane cylinder pressure... not of the good kind

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are 2 ways to look at high compression and turbo/supercharging - you can build boost faster with high compression, and control it with the ECM for spark and fuel, or not go near it. look at some of today's turbo motors - some are running high compression and have no issues. It is the tune than makes or breaks the motor. If you are going carbed, then that is a whole different story, as the carb has to be run rich and the distributor curve needs to retard a lot to prevent detonation.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I really want to have a turbo fed supercharger set up... like they are don't in europe..

Supercharger takes out the lag of the turbo...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It'll be impressive when you get it all together - but that is a lot of plumbing to make sense of. I've seen a twin charged MR2 and I nearly fell over when I saw how much pipe work was crammed in around the engine. I've had a look at Mercedes superchargers and they come up (relatively) cheap on ebay. Wonder if they're do-able...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    most twincharge final result suck or fail, because the 'builder' went too deep over their head
    Make sure u capble of simply a perfect running turbo setup b 4 even attempting twincharge
    Not only is the plumbing nightmare, but the heat management and most of all the transition between super-to-turbo
    1.6 MR2 "drove like a turbocharged hi compression strong V6". Superb torque off idle to 7000rpm+. Ran mid 11sec 1/4, ~20years ago

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I think you all might be wanting variable geometry turbochargers then. They are the best of both worlds.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The channel on you tube to watch is Bank Performance. He is a master of heat management and power.

I will just start with the turbo.

Seeing about having a couple 4G64/63 Single OHC exhaust flanges made just in case I screw one up on the header.

I really thought about mounting the turbo under the bed.. but the plumbing is WAY worse doing that.

Really thinking about moving away from DSM electronics to readily available GM parts such as the 2 bar map sensor and throttle body. It will work WAY easier with aftermarket electronics.

BTW I have a youtube channel that I hope will show this progress.

You will see an in car of a Big Block Aspen I used to have as well as a 1968 Mustang I was hired to drive back in 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4urOgEUPFC6PNMDfLGDGqg

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_inf...products_id=36
    DSM electronics tune 10sec street or 8 sec strip. Configure to run GM MAF OR speed density/MAP sensor
    press the clutch, build boost on the line. Covert oem boost gauge to monitor knock... tuning, logging
    lotsa cool stuff. What more do u need ?

Twincharged MR2 here: http://www.mr2.com/OWNERS/GeraldA.html
    Featured on cover of Sport Compact way back. I have that issue
    I recall writer saying it felt like the seatback fabric left an imprint on his back it pulled so hard... any rpm
    Mind boggling from a weezy puny lil ol 1.6

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Great info!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12