Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Axle Swap

I have access to a free 8 1/4 from a 94 Dakota with a 3.55 Sure Grip.

Just wondering if someone knows off hand the measurement of the Ram 50 8 inch axle from drum face to drum face? Anyone have their rims off and grab me a measurement?

With a possible 318 swap in the future from the same truck, the Sure Grip axle would certainly help at the track. I just hope the Dakota housing isn't too wide.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Dont the 8" axles already have an LSD option? Im a mopar guy, but ive never been a fan of the 8 1/4" axle for performance. The 9" rear axles found on the v6 mitsubishi's are very strong and have LSD options out there. Your gear ratio might be a challenge though.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Finding one of those LSD is rare..

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Maybe in Canadia but i seen my fare share of them. Even have one i pulled out of a 1st gen. They arent common, but they also arent too uncommon to find.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Speaking of that. I have a 91 Dodge Ram 50 v6 that was a factory LSD truck, also have my 90 Mighty max v6 truck that I swapped a 94 v6 max lsd pumpkin into it. Found the lsd for my 89 SWB v6 Montero as well, and have a 95 Montero SR with factory locker.

Cant be that hard to find.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Most of the parts that I have replaced in my truck have had to come from the US.. there are literally none in scrap for provinces around me.. The replacement computer for my truck had to come from New Jersey....the wires and plug came from the East cost of Canada and had dust on them from being the last in their warehouse. Canadian winters destroyed these trucks. The only reason mine survived was the original owner (who I met) covered everyone under the truck in a thick goop... awful stuff.. but saved the truck.

If you know where a LSD is I would certainly like to purchase it.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I've a complete 9" rear end from a Montero Sport, gaining you disc brakes as well as essentially being bolt on, simply needs a new leaf:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...Diff-amp-4-636

Track down and bolt in any 9" diff/carrier you want from a 3.0/V6 Montero/Montero Sport/D50/MM on car-part.com; the 3.5/V6 Montero/Montero Sports had 9.5" rear ends and won't swap, fyi.

This vin decoder should help determine which donor trucks have open, LSD, and factory locker rear diffs:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

It doesn't look like you're too far from the border so freight likely wouldn't be too steep via fastenal, etc... https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/blue-...rty-logistics)