Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Almost 30 years...

Hi folks, Looks like I may start working on my Power Ram 50 soon. It didn't have air and in the Tucson desert I just ended up getting a different car with A/C. I picked up the 2wd white one for the A/C, and need to swap it over. But while the darn thing sat, the gas all went bad, ruined the carb and fuel pump and tank. Got a new tank from Rock Auto, but haven't installed it yet.

Also rats got into it and chewed some of the interior, and seat belts.

Probably going to fuel inject the 2.6. That will be a good project. I would like to find some 9.5:1 or 10:1 pistons. I think turbo may not happen, can't find a good block/donor car.

Anyway, it will be nice to chat it up with fellow D-50 ers.

Dave

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello & welcome here Dave Your idea getting A/C from the donor truck is way COOL
    George

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Rust might not have eaten it but the rats did - bummer. If you want to get it running sooner you can always go the Weber carb swap route. You would've had to remove the carb and fuel pump anyway to perform the upgrade and the Weber is a vast improvement over the Mikuni. I'd be doing a cooling system flush along with an engine oil flush seeming it has been sitting for so long.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It's the weber that went bad. All gaskets and diaphragms dried up. I think my original carb would still work if I bolted it on. Never was happy with the weber. Did not run any better and would not pass emissions. I had to unhook a vacuum line to get it to go, but the mikuni always passed with flying colors.

The weber is in the basket for the ultrasonic cleaner as we speak. One day I may drop it in and finish cleaning it real good.

Since I have a new gas tank, not installed, and my fuel gauge is bad, I was thinking of just making the conversion as I go. With a fuel regulator, I can still run the carb if I want to. Weld up a nice flange to instal an all in one pump assembly into the new tank.

I caught another rat just 2 day ago in a spring trap under the hood, those things really ticking me off.

I tried that "Fresh Cab" deterrent and they just chewed the pouch up. Like it was food for them.

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Forgot to mention I have had this truck almost 30 years now, thus the title.

It's the weber that went bad. All gaskets and diaphragms dried up. I think my original carb would still work if I bolted it on. Never was happy with the weber. Did not run any better and would not pass emissions. I had to unhook a vacuum line to get it to go, but the mikuni always passed with flying colors.

The weber is in the basket for the ultrasonic cleaner as we speak. One day I may drop it in and finish cleaning it real good.

Since I have a new gas tank, not installed, and my fuel gauge is bad, I was thinking of just making the conversion as I go. With a fuel regulator, I can still run the carb if I want to. Weld up a nice flange to instal an all in one pump assembly into the new tank.

I caught another rat just 2 day ago in a spring trap under the hood, those things really ticking me off.

I tried that "Fresh Cab" deterrent and they just chewed the pouch up. Like it was food for them.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Was it a genuine Weber? There are 'licensed copies' (knock-offs) floating around and no matter what you do to them, they will never run right. It sounds like either it wasn't set up properly from the get go, needed re-jetting or the timing wasn't dialled in for it. Once they are set up properly, they leave the Mikuni carbs for dead.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    How do I tell if it is a copy? I forget where I bought it. I may still have the original box. I bought it because others swore by it, I fail to see any performance gain, but did see a mileage loss.

When it wouldn't pass emissions, I took it to a good shop with exhaust analyzer, and the mechanic was familiar and new how to get it to pass. We agreed jets would help for emissions, not for performance.

I'm pretty stoked on running fuel injection. I have a Wolf 3d controller to run the system. Should be just fine. I can have a performance map and an economy map.

I just need to make up a manifold as I can't locate a factory one with multi port injection. They're out there, just can't find one.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A genuine Weber has the manufacturers logo cast onto the body of the carb. If it's a newer part, it will be 'made in Spain' while the old ones are Italian made. The problem with the crap copies are the metering galleries are cast into the carb bodies and can't be replaced or altered. Typically they do this stupid lean/rich cycle and changing the jets result in the tops of your pistons turning into molten slag. Using the specific jets for the 2.6 in a real Weber and experimenting with the ignition timing will completely transform all round performance - both economy and power. The Weber should manage better than 22mpg on the highway.

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It is made in Spain with the "W" logo cast into the body and top. I suppose I should get busy and clean it, if not just to sell it later. The Mikuni got me 24 on the highway, lucky to get 18 with the weber. I agree, it was probably not set up perfect, but not that bad either.

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    DGAV331 32-36 140's in the bottom, 160/170 on the top. What jetting for about 2500 ft elevation? Where is a good place to get them?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    ebay has the jet kits - about 60.00. they have a high altitude and regular jet kits for them
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Finally got around to the carb after a year or so of it being off the truck and partially disassembled.

This is what it looks like now after time in the ultrasonic cleaner. I was quite pleased with how well the cleaner worked. I had used Berrymans Chem Dip for years, but they changed their formula and the last time I used it on a motorcycle carb it ate the finish off of the alloy.

I found a local VW shop that has the jets and will change them out tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah that looks hell fresh. An ultrasonic cleaner is on my Xmas wish list...

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    dedave,
    Info on the ultrasonic kit?? -chemical and machine ??
    Thx!!

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Just a cheap one from Ebay, 10qt for about $135. I just used water and dish soap, some people say simple green works better, others swear by dawn dish soap. Just a little, not enough to bubble, but enough to dissolve the grease.

ultrasonic-cleaner.jpg

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^Many thanks.

Array
    Status
    Tucson
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Fired it up yesterday, runs like garbage. Probably have to rejet yet again.
    Drove it around the yard, no brakes, lol. I guess after 7 years the fluid dripped out. Probably get a new master and bleed it.

d50engine.jpg