Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

replacing interior dome light

How does one wire in a two wire light?
    I touched it to the fittings for the OE light to see which way to wire it. Then when I cut off the wires I see the black wire to the switch plays a role I cannot figure out. It sparks a bit if it touches the red one and if I twist the two wire light wires to the red and green wires that lit it before, it does not light. I tried using the black wire as a ground no joy.

How have you all solved this? The exterior light seems fine except I have no bulb in it.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    One should be hot at all times and one is a switched ground for the door switches i believe? this two wire light you mention is it one wire for ground and one for positive or is one positive and one for switched ground or positive and the case used for ground?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Now I get to expose my ignorance. I almost could not finish the sentence you asked the question in. That is how confusing it is to me.
    It is a white and black wire and the light is meant for a dome light or a license plate light. It has no switch in it. It is a version of this light https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...ight/87519_0_0
    I was thinking of resoldering the wires to the plate and them connecting the wires up to it. I want to use the new one because it comes with a cover otherwise I have no cover on the dome light.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK. I re-soldered the wires and have the OE light back in and working. What have people been doing for the interior cover? Mine turned to dust in my hand years ago.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    Now I get to expose my ignorance. I almost could not finish the sentence you asked the question in. That is how confusing it is to me.
    It is a white and black wire and the light is meant for a dome light or a license plate light. It has no switch in it. It is a version of this light https://www.autozone.com/exterior-li...ight/87519_0_0
    I was thinking of resoldering the wires to the plate and them connecting the wires up to it. I want to use the new one because it comes with a cover otherwise I have no cover on the dome light.
    Ok i see now. that light will either have to be wired to a switch to be controlled manually or wired to the door switch to be controlled by the doors. although you could use a three terminal switch and make it function similarly to the stock dome light. im not sure if the first gen trucks used a dome light exactly like the second gens used but it would be wired in a similar fashion if you wanted to go that route and i know second gen dome light lenses are still made. hope this helps! i can draw out a diagram for your new light if you think it would help?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That is very kind of you. I'm sure I am just obtuse it is only 3 wires, one to the switch and one each end of the light.
    Are you saying the 2nd gen lens fits? or that the whole 2nd gen dome light fixture will fit?
    If the 2nd gen light fixture fits I would make the change. Do you know where I could find one? I get nothing but bulbs searching any year dome light. I did manage find one complete fixture for a Triton on ebay that looked right down to the odd set of the screws but I can't tell if it would fit.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^Triton is identical/same as the US Gen 2 classed trucks just a different market name.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK Geez, but is the 2nd gen going to fit? I have two complete fixtures from overseas $18 and $26 or one without the lens from just up north.for $18. The complete ones might not be here until the end of October.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    That is very kind of you. I'm sure I am just obtuse it is only 3 wires, one to the switch and one each end of the light.
    Are you saying the 2nd gen lens fits? or that the whole 2nd gen dome light fixture will fit?
    If the 2nd gen light fixture fits I would make the change. Do you know where I could find one? I get nothing but bulbs searching any year dome light. I did manage find one complete fixture for a Triton on ebay that looked right down to the odd set of the screws but I can't tell if it would fit.
    Like geezer said the Triton is the same truck im just not sure what a first gen dome light looks like but if you found one that looks identical to yours i would say go with that for ease of installation and if it is the same lens as a second gen i can get you a part number for it so you can just buy a lens if you want or buy the lens for an older mazda miata which is the same but tinted black

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    just looked in my parts book and 87-88 lists mb399754 as the number for those years and a quick google search shows a side by side comparison of the Mitsubishi and Mazda dome light covers

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    electrically speaking yes those will work but whether they will mount in the stock location on a first gen im not sure?

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    just found a picture online of the interior of a first gen and it looks like the dome light is different than a second gen.
    immaculate-1986-dodge-ram-50-sport-5-speed-rust-free-california-gem-121k-miles-13.jpg
    It kinda reminds me of the light in the trunk of my Dodge Conquest so maybe a part number on it might be best so maybe an MT138325?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I messaged a seller to get measurements for the 2nd gen light. I also found a site that produced a result with that part number but no picture. Hopefully one of them comes through with good news.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here is some pictures of the trunk light lens from my Conquest with a key for size reference. i can go measure my truck dome light if you don't hear back from the seller
    dome light with key.jpgdome light 1.jpgdome light 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Seems similar. Mine, the mounted light fixture itself, is 1 3/4 side to side. I had ground off the curved top trying to make an after market cover fit but the metal of it kept shorting out the fuses every time I tried to fit it on.If that is 1 3/4 side to side inside it may clip itself on.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    i just measured the conquest lens and its 1 7/8" wide. i looked at the dome light in my truck and its 3" by 2" so its a fair bit bigger than a first gen light.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    a couple of self tapping screws later and you could have an upgraded light that would probably just plug right in to the stock connector if it uses that style connector?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-04-Mitsu...temCondition=4

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I don't think so, A little big. I have 3 wires with bullet connectors to the harness. I could maybe make a spacer out of wood to lift a second gen light proud of the 2" divot the OE light sits in.
    How would I wire a two wire 2nd gen light to the three wires my system seems to require? there is also the cargo light out the back of the cab connected to this dome light system. There is no bulb in it right now and I forget if it lights up when the door opens or if the switch has any effect on it. Did I forget to mention that? The cargo light is only connected to the red and green wires.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Oh i didn't realize you had a bed light, that changes things. the basic setup for a bed light equipped truck should be very similar to a dome light only truck with the extra wire being positive for the bed light coming from the dome light and the other two for switched ground and constant positive. the bulb in the cab light is tied to the dome light so they both come on at the same time as each other. if you don't care about the functionality of the bed light you can simply leave the wire for it disconnected and use power and switched ground to the doors for it to work. if you use a wood spacer you will need to ground the base of the new light to metal for the manual on position to work otherwise you will only have light from the door open position on the light and one of the doors open.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Over my head again. IDK which wire is which. I only plug them together as they are set up. They made it easy by putting the ma;e and female connectors on the opposite ends for the red and green wire which are dirty and hard to distinguish. The interior has the two wires one each end of the bulb and the switch wire. I have not tried to figure it out with a meter yet since i do not have to yet If I remember it right when both lights were good the switch which has 3 positions had one that allowed the interior dome to come on but left the cargo light off.

Edit- I put bulb in the cargo light. It comes on when I open the door with the switch on the right. With the switch in the middle or left side I get nothing. ???? At least I got lights when I open the door.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 09-11-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well i started to draw out a diagram for you but then started to confuse myself on how 3 wires could control two lights then i found this (check out the 2nd page bottom left corner in the little box)

http://www.mightyram50.net/d-50/Fact...NG_DIAGRAM.pdf

it appears there is really 4 wires but the 4th is hidden and for all intents and purposes it can be ignored since it just supply's the cargo light with power and the only visible wire from the bed light controls its ground. hopefully that little box on that page can explain things better than i can.

by the way since your switch on the light itself does nothing in the left position i assume your dome light switch is dirty or corroded or you were testing it with it not mounted to the roof to provide a path to ground.

hope that diagram clears things up. were you leaning on putting a second gen light in or something different?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thank You for that. My interest is in having a covered dome light not so much changing it. I just figured it would need to be changed since the covers are so hard to find.

EDIT- Just noticed the cargo light was on with the switch in the passenger side position. No light in middle or drvr side position door open.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 09-12-2019 at 08:46 PM.