Array
    Status
    Metro Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Mighty max performance options

First I’m sorry I’m making another on of *these* posts. I’ve lurked for a while and learned a lot so I made an account to figure out my options. I have owned 2 mighty Max’s in the past both with the 4g64 but something broke on them and I wasn’t in a position the hold onto them and fix but now that I have the option I’m looking at getting another one as a project. In my state you aren’t required to do any emissions testing after 25 years so hows my time to shine with a MM. I’m wanting one as a track toy but can still be used on the road. I’m not trying to set top lap times but just have fun in the thing. I’m not wanting to try and turbo anything as I’m a novice at this stuff but as simple as the trucks are I feel I can tinker with it without getting in to deep. I’m leaning more towards the 2.4 but do the 6 cyl have any major advantages? I’m figuring I start with wider tires and maybe changing the rear end gearing for more get up and go. Outside of that I’m not sure what I can do. I’ve read there’s no point in switching to the dohc since I’m keeping it NA. Also not sure if I missed it or there isn’t one but is there a classified section to by trucks on here? Craigslist seems kind of dry in my area.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    What kind of racing do you want to do? Track, gymkhana?

There's not a ton of available bolt on performance minded parts around, but you can make do. Are you able to fabricate parts?

Tuning NA is relatively high $/hp compared to slapping a turbo on (pretty sure turbo manifolds are available on eBay)
    NA
    Agressive camshaft, valve job, valve springs, headers, freeflow exhaust, Webber carb. That would be a tried and tested easy enough level of mods.

Good shocks and nolothane bushes, then front and rear sway bars.
    15" wheels, good tyres

That should get you started

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. There is literally NO support for the V6 other than spare parts but there are options on going down this path. One member here installed the Mivec 3.5 V6 and as far as performance goes, you won't get better out of an NA engine unless you use a small block combo from another car/truck. You will run into a wall though if your truck is 2WD only - the US didn't get the 2WD V6 optioned trucks. The most common route for making power is twin cam/twin cam turbo. The NA twin cam will be a lot more lively compared to the SOHC as there's at least a minimum extra 10 HP in stock form but you should be able to pull it off on a budget. Changing rear end ratios can get your truck off the mark faster. It's been asked recently about changing the engine management to an adjustable set up like a Microsquirt but without engine mods, you won't make any real extra performance gains. Try resetting the ignition tune by feel to make free power and make sure all of your ignition components are serviceable as a bad coil or over gapped plugs will rob your engine of power. The stock tune nerfs performance...

*edit - Chargerx3 has the aforementioned truck but it's 3.8 Mivec. Look out below!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Depends on what you can find and what you really want out of your truck. Turbo 4cyl are a lot of fun and RWD. Those would be ideal for street use and can be economical. There are also the 90+ 4x4 V6 trucks that had some nice interior options as well as indestructible drivetrain. They are harder to find, but I think worth it.

I picked up a 90 V6 3.0 and swapped in a 2007 3.8L MIVEC engine. Its about 300hp and a blast to rip on.

Just depends on your budget, wants, and needs.

Array
    Status
    Metro Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the responses. I like driving fast on courses where it’s man and machine pushing the limits. But I’m just starting to learn how to modify and get the most you can out of a car/engine. I have seen videos where people have taken the engine out of an eclipse or the like and put it in the mighty max but the ones I’ve seen you basically have to lose the grill and bumper and part of the aesthetic of a mighty Max. I know some of the thoughts I have considered are pipe dreams outside of my skill set at the moment but I figure how basic the mm is it’s a good starting point to get into tuning without going the basic civic route. I’d like to keep it a 4cyl for the simplicity of it. That’s a nice truck though. I haven’t seen a 6cyl ever available in my area.

Array
    Status
    Metro Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sorry to double post but I can’t find the edit button. I have no experience in turboing a car or what that all entails. Is it something I maybe getting to far ahead of myself with? That’s why I considered NA though I know turbo would give me more bang for my buck.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    You have to donate to be able to edit.