Thread: 93MM 2wd body swap on 91 D50 4wd?

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

93MM 2wd body swap on 91 D50 4wd?

I currently have a 93 MM 2wd with ac/ps etc etc. have the chance to pick up a 91 D50 4wd with no ac. Has a 2.4 Mitsubishi engine in it, I知 assuming that痴 been swapped?
    I知 wanting to swap my 2wd body onto the 4wd frame to keep my ac or is that not do able?
    anyone else done something like this before? Anything particular I知 going to run into or have trouble with? I知 assuming I知 gonna have to cut a hole for the 4wd shifter?

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Im not certain on the 1990 and later cabs but i know on the 87-89 they have different sized transmission tunnels between 2wd and 4wd. as far as the ac goes im sure it will swap right over assuming the engines are the same for the compressor brackets and im guessing the wiring should be the same in that year range. you will have to discharge and recharge it though on reassembly and replace any disturbed o-rings and possibly convert refrigerants if you dont have access to r12 since r134a didnt come until 94'.

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Good point on the tunnel, I have already swapped my 93 to r134a. The 93 doesn’t have a title is the reason behind wanting to swap the body

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbrooks00 View Post
    Good point on the tunnel, I have already swapped my 93 to r134a. The 93 doesn’t have a title is the reason behind wanting to swap the body
    I totally overlooked the title/registration situation of this, I don't know what your local rules are but you will probably have to jump through lots of hoops with getting that registered since the frame has a partial vin number and the cab would not match. might be a big headache. I would apply for a lost title or something? if your 93 doesn't have a title i would assume it would be best to use the 91 body and frame since i assume it has a title and all you would need to do is swap the ac into it?

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Correction, the 91 I’m looking at doesn’t have a title, I know that’s probably not the most correct thing to do but who checks frames? Lol
    guess it won’t work anyway.
    So I guess my next question is did the d50s even come with a 2.4? If not this has been swapped somehow

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    1990 and up Ram 50's came with either the 2.4L or the 3.0L, so it hasn't been swapped...

In South Carolina there is no vehicle inspection requirement, so you don't have to worry about whether the frame is original to the body. As for the tunnel, you could start with taking some measurements to see if there is a difference. If there is you could either cut the tunnel section out of the 91 or take a torch and a hammer and bash the sheet metal until it clears.

Do both trucks have the same transmission, and are they automatics or standards?

Array
    Status
    Spartanburg sc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Both trucks are 5 speed, and I don’t have the 91 4wd in my possession yet. At this point I’m thinking about swapping the dash and ac off my 93?...

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You'll still need to pull the VIN tag off of the door jamb and make sure they match, but a couple pop rivets and you should be good...

Not exactly the "proper" way to do things, but if you just tell the DMV that you swapped the 4WD parts into your 93 there shouldn't be too many questions.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    and the dash vin as well. you will need to do a tunnel swap of a 2wd cab to a 4wd frame - the tunnels are way different for the transfer case clearance.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980