Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

1991 Power Ram 50 V6 3.0 Sport Cab LE

Hello everyone, I'm glad to find another forum that supports another vehicle I own. I'm a member of the geometroforum, the toyotavantech forum, and now the mighty ram 50 forum because of my new purchase of a 1991 Dodge Power Ram 50 V6 3.0. I wasn't initially looking for a V6 but I couldn't pass up the deal. It is a salvage title, I believe because of the passenger door being hit. It has only 103k miles, might be the lowest mile car I've ever bought. I recently found a passenger door from a regular ram 50 that I hope to throw on it along with the front passenger quarter panel and a bolt on hitch that will work with the step bumper. I consider myself extremely lucky.

I'll probably post more on my website as well with some bigger pictures (www.constantcompass.com). Warning, some hippy stuff, some car stuff, some camping and fishing if you go to the site.

What I've done so far:
    Flushed Coolant
    Changed Oil and Filter
    New Distributor Cap
    New Spark Plug Wires
    New Spark Plugs
    New windshield wipers

What I plan to do:
    Install Ram 50 door to replace dented passenger side
    Install Hitch
    Install Ram 50 quarter panel
    Change Timing belt and water pump
    Change oil pressure sender
    Change thermostat (undecided as to what temperature thermostat I should use, I bought both)
    Spray bed liner or (find a plastic one somewhere?)
    Clean up rust spots on passenger side
    Replace vacuum hoses and coolant hoses

Here are the pics:
    IMG_8446.jpgIMG_7780.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpgIMG_1831.jpg

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Looks great, good find! I also stumbled upon a low milage salvage-titled power ram 50, and I'm having a great time with it. Learning as I go, mostly thanks to the fine folks here in this forum.
    The van is great, too. Good job with that! Now I want to check out the Geo...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Looks like a PO had resprayed it. Shame it got a bit beat up but it still looks good! So weird it was written off for salvage for such minor cosmetic damage. I still don't know how you guys are finding relatively low mileage examples of Gen 1's and 2's. Most of the ones where I am get driven into the dirt...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks Mr. Paco. The van is currently getting a head gasket job, a bit beyond my skill and I don't have the room to do jobs like that. Hopefully it comes back running even better. I'm hoping this is the last of the major jobs on that van, bought it from a guy who had zero maintenance records which basically meant he did nothing but change the oil (hopefully) while he had it. So, it's been a long journey of replacing parts as they go out.

As for the geo metro, I had that for years. 1k dollars. It was a great car to learn how to start doing my own wrenching. I'm always looking to see if a cheap one pops up. Great gas mileage, fun to work on and actually pretty tough. Lots of camping trips in mine.

Geezer101 - Randomly looked on craigslist and saw the truck was listed 8 minutes ago and without hesitation said I would buy it for the asking price. I was very surprised to see it had anything less than 200k miles and very surprised it only had 103k.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome bushcat, neat truck Just wondering why replace the oil sender..? Is it electrical type or pressure type..? It must be broke huh..?

P.S. Those are some sweet looking seats, are they stock original to the truck..?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Welcome to the club. My dad has an LE just like yours but auto with the V6 and I now have 2 V6 4x4's as well.

Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I don't think anything is wrong with the oil sender so I'm going to leave it. Was concerned the pressure was too low at idle but it seems to be ok. The seats are original, the cloth is in great condition but the vinyl has several sections that are torn. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Welcome bushcat, neat truck Just wondering why replace the oil sender..? Is it electrical type or pressure type..? It must be broke huh..?

P.S. Those are some sweet looking seats, are they stock original to the truck..?

Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks Chargerx3. Good to know others with 4x4 V6's so I can reach out for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Welcome to the club. My dad has an LE just like yours but auto with the V6 and I now have 2 V6 4x4's as well.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    bushcat -- thanks for that info... Your blue truck has one of the nicest colors & is a perfect small compact truck... A brand new Ford Ranger (blue) was parked next to my truck today; too bad I didn't think to snap a photo... IMHO, new compact trucks look bigger & bigger & BIGGER... Toyota Tacoma included; I've ridden in my friend's new Tacoma, trying to look out over that hood to see the road is a chore... Well anyway, enjoy these little trucks, they may never be built this size again...

Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Yeah, I like the old hard body styles and compact sizes of trucks before the 2000s. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the bigger ones but often I see a lot of people drive them as they would a prius. They don't use it for anything other than lugging groceries while the people with small trucksuse the crap out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    bushcat -- thanks for that info... Your blue truck has one of the nicest colors & is a perfect small compact truck... A brand new Ford Ranger (blue) was parked next to my truck today; too bad I didn't think to snap a photo... IMHO, new compact trucks look bigger & bigger & BIGGER... Toyota Tacoma included; I've ridden in my friend's new Tacoma, trying to look out over that hood to see the road is a chore... Well anyway, enjoy these little trucks, they may never be built this size again...

Array
    Status
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Replaced the timing belt, water pump with the dayco kit. Replaced coolant hoses and replaced the radiator with one from a Montero because I couldn't find any replacements for my model. It worked but it was a tad bigger than the old one. Fan shroud leaves one inch of the radiator exposed. Also, had the idler pulleys changed because they were loose. Feeling really good about my little truck. Now to address the AC issue.