Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Reverse light switch bearing question

Ok so I sold the truck to the neighbor guy and he just pulled out the trans. the clutch was in correctly so thats not the issue with that part of this story. When the key is on the reverse lights are on all the time. I did put a new switch in and the bearing is in. Someone mentioned there is a detent that the ball bearing fits in. We ll I turned the tail shaft and couldn't feel a detent for the ball to slip into. Should we put the shifter in and have it in reverse or is there another way to find the detent?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I think its the screw in switch that has a moving bit at the point of contact.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I think its the screw in switch that has a moving bit at the point of contact.
    I thought the all has to sit in a detent somewhere in there and will push the switch in when the shifter is moved to the position to engage reverse. In the hole for the ball and switch I can see a ring or whatever that is preventing the ball from moving out of the way of the switch. That keeps the switch pressed in and the reverse lights on.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I've never seen inside where it sits. I had a problem that was caused by me cutting the wires for speed then losing the ball for not knowing it was there. I eventually got a new switch and ball but it wasn't working right so I put a second ball in (I forget my reasoning) and it did not work and the switch got broken. Come to put in another new switch the balls fell out I put one in and the new switch and it all worked. So I'm not too sure of the exact internal to the trans mechanism. I think I may have had it in neutral when I did this the last time.
    If I remember correctly the ball should be 8mm or the closest SAE measurement to that.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I new someone was helping me.

Oh yea the bullet connectors I was referring to are the OE ones at the other end of the long wire not the ones right next to the awitch you installed.