Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Just some info on engines and stuff

Ok so here is the deal my truck is an 84 with a 2.0. And I want to go efi. I have a Holley 2bbl efi setup that is almost ready to install. But I was wondering what is needed to use the 2.4 intake manifold and efi on my 2.0. Do I need the 2.4 head? Any info is appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the donor engine is a SOHC 8v 2.4 4G64, it's a nut and bolt install with no mods other than blocking off the mechanical fuel pump hole in the 2.0 head. If you're going down this path, don't use the EFI from a 1990 engine. The ancillaries are year specific for this engine and some of the parts are not cheap to replace (plus I think there were some other issues with this year for some reason - someone will chime in to verify this...) You'll need everything from the donor to make it work - distributor, exhaust with O2 sensors, wiring etc. What does the Holley 2 barrel need to get running?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The Holley 2bbl efi only needs a coolant temp o2 and an rpm signal. All the other sensors are on the efi unit. The cool part is the unit self tunes so just built on and go.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    somebody posted here that they converted their carb 2.0 to efi using all 2.4 oem stuff. Didn't see a detail thread tho

2.4 head has bigger chamber than 2.0, so lower compression

those msd, fitech, holley stuff all seem so corny. Crappy results on a few friends cars too
    Throttle body unit merely a compromise.... ie. an electronic carb spraying fuel
    Fine if that's what you're after. Should improve over stock. At a $1000 it'd better be at least mpfi for me

I'd think the 2.0 distributor weights & vacuum canister would have to be disabled, for the holley to 'auto-tune an ignition map

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The ECU Fuel mapping is for a 2.4L engine so it may be a bit rich. it's a lot of work to ditch a carburetor...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    the 2.0L is 500cc per cylinder, so I'd run injectors from the 3.0L 12valve V6 instead of the 2.4
    should be easy to find free/cheap, and keep air/fuel ratios in check

truck efi system is pretty simple and as basic as they come. No way would I run a carb vs...
    I bought a D50 after seeing how flawless a cousins' 91 D50 operated and served him lotsa troublefree years
    Reliable, purred like a kitten
    .....exactly what I seeked to replace my carb'd corolla pos 1.6, as a base then turbo eventually

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm gonna plead ignorance (again...) - won't the O2 sensor trim the injector pulses so the ECU will retune to work on the 2.0? It only needs engine temp input, throttle position, O2 readings and a timed ignition pulse to do it's thing. A quick look on ebay and the listings show the injectors are the same between the 2.4 and the 3.0 V6. Another check showed injectors that were used on 2.0's were also used on 1.8's (Laser/Talon/Galant/Eclipse) and incidentally look the same as the injectors on my Hyundai J2 2.0. I mean, it'll run rich with the O2 either disconnected or faulty.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    stock ecu can trim within reason, otherwise one size injector would cover most
    Not the case at all. My corolla 1.6 dohc injector size vary all over the place from motor to motor

truck motor list Nikki IPN 058 rated @ 27 lb/hr or 284 cc/min
    3.0 sohc (& 1.8 sohc) list Nikki IPN 057 rated @ 20 lb/hr or 212 cc/min
    ...a cosiderable difference, as I'd expect. But I'd c how stock truck injectors work on the 2.0 first

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    tony8033,
    Been reading up on the sniper and fitech systems,
    Would love to see pics of Your sniper setup.
    Thx!

Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yea when i get the truck running i will be sure to post pics. i was just looking into to mpfi because there was an entire 2.4 motor for sale near me

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ? just the engine , if so dont forget all the ancillarys.
    ecu, fuel tank, wiring, fuel lines, etc...
    Last edited by claych; 09-03-2019 at 01:11 PM.