Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

help

I got my rear bumper cut off. less than 5 minutes each side. Now I am going at the bolts holding the rest of the hanger up and its not going well.
    Is there something special about the OE bolts? or rusted bolts that hardens them? I am between the nut and the washer trying to cut just the bolt itself. I am using a Milwaukie sawzall with a metal blade

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would imagine they are at least a grade 5 equivalent (10.9?). If you want to cut them, an abrasive wheel or torch would be the way to go. Saw blades have to be soft enough to withstand constant interrupted cuts without shattering. Not so good at cutting hardened steel.
    Did you try using an impact wrench? Or heat and a penetrating oil?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I did not try heat or impact wrench which I do not have. I will go get more cutting wheels, that would go quicker. I figured less sparks is better. having et lunch now I see i should have seen that

Edit-Done
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-24-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you're not trying to save the bolt, my preferred technique is to slice right into the end of the bolt (like your putting a screwdriver slot in it) and go about 90% of the way through the nut. One good whack with a cold chisel and the nut should split in two. It's a lot easier to see how close your cutting wheel is to the frame when your cutting perpendicular to the frame in this way, rather than trying to cut across the bolt, parallel to the frame.
    As a side note, if you do get an impact wrench at some point as you recently mentioned you picked up a compressor. I have had my Ingersoll Rand 2135 titanium for 10 years. Hands down the best bang for the buck in the impact world imho. Its successor the 2235 looks identical. Prices are all over the place, but this one for 240 is about what I paid in 2009. https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran...58&s=hi&sr=1-3

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I just sacrificed them They were toast. I'll keep that in mind. I might be removing the bed even though I did not plan on doing it this project.