Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B

'91 Triton (MightyMax)

Hi There,
    New here, but thought I'd get a start on a build thread for my ute.
    Its a 1991 Triton/MightyMax 5 speed 2.6 tray top.
    I am a Design and Tech High school teacher and I take the ute in to work on fridays and work on it with some of my students during our club time every friday arvo.
    Started life as a government vehicle for a rural hospital so it didn't see much use and was well cared for. How many people owned it from there I don't know, but at least 2.
    The previous owner who did some of the initial work to the ute was a bit sloppy and most of the work I've done so far is just redoing his wiring etc.

Work done by the previous owner:
    the wheels and tires
    tray top swap for towing dirtbikes
    "sports" exhaust aka muffler delete and high flow rear muffler
    4-2-1 headers
    shaved and recon head for higher compression
    LPG duel fuel set up
    retrimmed bench seat in black leather
    sports steering wheel (Made driving the manual steering painful)
    new stereo and speakers

I have since:
    rewired the stereo
    actually cleaned the car (the last owner bought it as described above and couldn't drive it with the little wheel so it sat for a year before I bought it from him)
    new air filter
    instrument cluster swap for tacho
    "modified" junkyard tray sides because it had none
    power steering install
    removal of the worlds most janky killswitch
    3D printed gauge cluster that fits in stereo location
    and likely a bunch of other small things I forget

Next on the list is fixing more things done by the previous owners, lowering, handling, dedicated LPG setup and an oversized supercharger!! yay
    Maybe bigger wheels, the current ones seem like they are a bit smaller than stock (205/65r15)

So here she is, more photos to come, its been raining a heap recently so I have not been able to do much work.

One of my students wanted to learn how to fit a catch can, so I bought a cheap one and he designed and made a bracket to bolt on where the power steering reservoir normally goes

Gauge cluster CAD files and prototypes

I've been working on a dedicated LPG intake that can be removed and reinstalled easily (and eliminates the Mikuni piece of shit) for mocking up etc with the supercharger install. I am hoping to keep this on the road the whole time through the build as I use it often and the kids love it when I bring it to school.
    I am using a throttle body off of a dedicated LPG commodore v6 which I believe for you USA folks is referred to as the buick 3800 v6. This might also give a hint to the way too big supercharger I hope to install, but more on that later

bottom half of an adapter plate to mount to the original intake manifold, made on the CNC at work

Top Half modeled in CAD

Here is a sneak peek at the supercharger drive pulley test fit on the crank, poor photo as it is what I used to see the bolts with the radiator still installed

Thats it for now, more to come as I find time to get work done

Cheers
    Alec.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    So today I re-modeled the gauge cluster I designed to fit in the Mighty max dash. Because the wideband I ordered has a much deeper bezel than other 52mm gauges it stuck out way to far for my liking.
    The new piece has a sunken area for the gauge and is 5mm thicker on the front to try and level things out a bit.
    Ignore the RPM gauge, thats just a old busted gauge for test fits etc
    Here is the original 3D printed cluster with the wideband sticking out too far
    cluster v1.jpg
    New cluster
    new cluster.jpg
    Here is the new Vs old cluster
    cluster side by side.jpg
    New set up all ready for some primer and paint, unless I can get some affordable black ABS filament for the 3D printer and then I'll print a new one and smooth it off with acetone
    new cluster 2.jpg

Cheers
    Alec

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Well this is going to be an interesting project. I have only ever seen one supercharged 2.6 and it was using a tiny supercharger from a Toyota. The guy had to cut into the bonnet for the drive pulley to clear. As for the 3D printed gauge mount - nice. Maybe instead of painting it, use a black vinyl film over it. I've wrapped a bunch of stuff in my Gen 1 cab with cheap 3D carbon fibre film and it has brought the interior up to a more modern appearance. And way to go with keeping your students interested At a guess you are a TAFE lecturer?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Good idea with the vinyl, might give that a go this weekend. Nah, high school, but being the sole tech studies teacher I can basically do what ever I want

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    SHARP truck AlecBB

I think (?) engines running on LPG put out less power than gasoline powered uns... In my experience, Japan had many taxis on LPG in USA some forklifts ran on LPG... Otherwise I have no more complaints about your COOL truck...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Just noticed that you've got the same gear shift knob as the one I've used in my L200 Whoever did the bench retrim knew what they were doing. I'm not a fan of the bench seat though. I'd feel like I was violating the middle passenger every time I did a gear change lol.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    SHARP truck AlecBB

I think (?) engines running on LPG put out less power than gasoline powered uns... In my experience, Japan had many taxis on LPG in USA some forklifts ran on LPG... Otherwise I have no more complaints about your COOL truck...
    Cheers man.
    Nah, with a proper tune and on dedicated gas they run just as well as petrol. When on duel fuel it puts out less power because the tune has to be something between what the petrol wants and what the gas wants.
    I've had a couple of gas cars before and they worked well when done right.

I agree Geezer, bench seat is nice and I'd rather have buckets but I'm reluctant to get rid of the seat as it's quite nice. I removed the middle seatbelt anyway so I cant have someone sit there.
    Yeah the gear shift knob is awesome, last owner got that so I don't know anything about it, except for the fact it wasn't installed correctly and spins.....

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    So today I installed new spark plug leads as the last ones were cracked. The last ones were routed in front of the rocker cover and got close to the fan so I got plugs and supports for a magna and used those to tidy things up a bit and route them up over the rocker cover.

while working I also realised that it looks like my power steering box is leaking......could be something to do with why it was not self centering. So I'm waiting on a quote to see if I should get it rebuilt or replaced......wooooooo

as I look at this photo the surface rust on those headers and heat shield are really starting to bother me............

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Maybe wrap the headers in a thermal bandage. It will look pretty (lol), keep the heat down in the engine bay a little and improve exhaust gas scavenging. A good mod to perform is an electric thermo fan install. It will free up engine bay room, de-govern the engine and improve throttle response, improve engine cooling (you live in Adelaide - I don't need to tell you what peak hour traffic in summer is like ) and preserve your water pump bearings. The open air filter is awful, especially on the Mikuni carb (I can feel the love you have for it lol) as its sucking all the hot air from the engine bay which will kill torque and not do much for your fuel economy, but seeming you are planning on ditching it for dedicated LPG and a supercharger you will be able to fit something better in your build.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Maybe wrap the headers in a thermal bandage. It will look pretty (lol), keep the heat down in the engine bay a little and improve exhaust gas scavenging. A good mod to perform is an electric thermo fan install. It will free up engine bay room, de-govern the engine and improve throttle response, improve engine cooling (you live in Adelaide - I don't need to tell you what peak hour traffic in summer is like ) and preserve your water pump bearings. The open air filter is awful, especially on the Mikuni carb (I can feel the love you have for it lol) as its sucking all the hot air from the engine bay which will kill torque and not do much for your fuel economy, but seeming you are planning on ditching it for dedicated LPG and a supercharger you will be able to fit something better in your build.
    Exhaust wrap is the plan. Already have a junkyard thermo fan and a wiring harness and switch ready to go, just need to find time to install it and make a shroud for the fan.
    Yeah the air cleaner was a request from one of my students, considering the original was old, dirty and taking hot air from right beside the headers this cant be too much worse. I prefer how it looks, not sure if it will fit on my new LPG throttle though so it might be gone soon

Cheers

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Now that is a nice clean truck, can't wait to see the supercharger setup! I can do turbos all day long, but superchargers are uncharted territory for me and are just downright cool, keep us updated!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinggecko View Post
    Now that is a nice clean truck, can't wait to see the supercharger setup! I can do turbos all day long, but superchargers are uncharted territory for me and are just downright cool, keep us updated!
    Thanks mate. It's all new for me too, half the reason I'm doing it is for the learning and to have something different

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B

I'm Back!

So I've finally found time to get more work done on the ute. For the last 6 months life has gotten in the way a bit.
    The biggest change will be the new fuel system. I installed a Gas Research Australia throttle body and converter. The adaptor didn't quite fit as it had the throttle body pointing straight forward into the thermostat housing. I cut a pie shape out and welded it back together at work, although it was still close to the radiator hose. To fix this I got a thermostat housing off of a magna which points the hose a little higher up and straighter towards the radiator.
    old engine bay.jpgfuel system.jpg
    Speaking of the radiator, that's new too, well new to me. It's an Australian made alloy for a V6 4x4 triton (mighty Max). I got it from a wrecked ute, but because it's for the 4x4 it is taller and I had to space it back towards the engine.
    The engine now breathes so much better and pulls way harder than before with the performance LPG system (and a propper tune of course)
    The engine bay is also heaps cleaner and is continuing to get cleaned up more, just check out how bad the wiring was before
    wiring.jpg
    I also did a test fit of the super charger pulley I am getting made up. it will be a long time before that gets made a mounted so for now I think ill get the Paris Dakar cam upgrade to get some better drivability out of the ute. Its already noticeably better than before (it actually revs past 4500 easily now) but I would like to do the swap.
    88109467_10222246950712152_8921618208847298560_n.jpgpulley test fit.jpg
    There is more on the way, but until I find more time away from work (which might happen with the COVID-19 stuff) that will have to wait.
    Cheers,
    Alec.
    Last edited by AlecBB; 03-29-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ignore post
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-19-2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I got a double post, what the hell...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Life seems to get in the way of other plans. Nice to see you've made it back though Something has gone wrong with you initial post and the image links are all broken.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Life seems to get in the way of other plans. Nice to see you've made it back though Something has gone wrong with you initial post and the image links are all broken.
    Ah really? Are the images still not working? I can see them on my end

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Pictures display perfectly for Me.
    With Humble respects AlecBB

questions !!!!!!!questions !!!!!!!

1)picture 2 & 3 should be reversed ???
    2) picture(s)of the propane tank(s) mounting & certifications.
    3)Material for the crankshaft pulley.
    4)Paris Dakar camshaft upgrade??? Petrol engine ????
    Last edited by claych; 03-20-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^I'm getting an "image URL expired" error message. I'm not on FB but that shouldn't have any effect on viewing an image.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    Pictures display perfectly for Me.
    With Humble respects AlecBB

questions !!!!!!!questions !!!!!!!

1)picture 2 & 3 should be reversed ???
    2) picture(s)of the propane tank(s) mounting & certifications.
    3)Material for the crankshaft pulley.
    4)Paris Dakar camshaft upgrade??? Petrol engine ????
    Picture 3 is there under the paragraph that mentions it (that is how the wiring used to look) pic 1 and 2 are the before and after.
    I don't have pics of the tank but I can get some if you want them.
    It is located under the tray just like the petrol tank but on the driver's side.
    The pulley will be aluminium, that test fit was a 3d print.
    The Paris Dakar cam profile is what the cam shop calls it, from what I've heard I think it is inspired by the profile used in the Pajero when it raced in the Paris Dakar..... I think? Should be fine with the lpg, I'll have an adjustable cam gear on it.
    Cheers
    Alec.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the reply!!
    I have the visual .

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B

Lower and slower

So its school holidays over hear, which means I'm off work (sorta) and car stuff can get done!
    First up I finally found time to install my drop spindles that I ordered over 6 months ago. This was easier than I thought and the fit is great. I definitely need stiffer springs though, the stock ones are worn, soft and sag about 15mm lower on the drivers side. Running over manhole covers and potholes before the spindle install I would hit the bump stops way too easily. Now I get tire rub if I'm cornering and hit a bump, so I'll roll the fenders and look into springs.

Out with the old
    93947559_10222672398308076_3155652453945311232_n.jpg
    In with the new
    93972388_10222672398108071_1007579914389422080_n.jpg

The toe in with the new spindles was shocking, I had to wind both my tie rod ends in all the way to get them close to straight, then tidied it up with an alignment the next day. (I was 1.5mm out just by eye, which Im happy with)
    The only regret I have is not painting the spindles before hand.

While I was at it, I also dropped the rear 50mm to keep everything level. I also painted the springs and the inside of the wheels black while I had them off to save time later. Now that the springs are done I want to paint the whole rear end, but thats a job for another day.
    94257491_10222672398548082_1141464116704051200_n.jpg93864609_10222672398748087_2129002330710867968_n.jpg

The bracket on the back is for an idea I have for mounting a Pajero(monty) front sway bar in the back. I just drilled and tapped a hole 50mm deep for a M12 grade 8 bolt and drowned the sucker in locktight, shouldn't go anywhere.
    I did make some other style brackets that were going to bolt on over the axle tube but I didn't like how they were positioning the bar so I went with the simple bracket on the lowering block instead.
    Here are the other ones that I didn't end up using
    94114188_10222673989267849_2609475786628923392_n.jpg94072220_10222673989507855_1300327745733001216_n.jpg

Anyway, more on the sway bar idea when I get to it.
    Here she is all washed up and sitting a little lower.
    93670738_10222672397908066_9094493846556901376_n.jpg94229401_10222672397708061_3918361954778873856_n.jpg94258525_10222672397508056_8228516594439946240_n.jpg
    While I was at it, I detailed both my cars
    93652186_10222670706385779_6677578855605075968_o.jpg

I also went to U-Pull-It and got myself some twin piston calipers from a pajero which I will fit up soon. As well as a Pajero 85Amp alternator which I am going to see if I can make fit on my 4g54. The plugs are the same and I have an idea for how to do the bracket. I chose this one to mess with as I could get the second hand one for dirt cheap and if it works I can order the 100Amp version new for only $97 and it will drop in.
    I am going the the effort with the alternator because of the electric pump and radiator fan I will be installing will draw a bit of power. Not to mention the electric assist steering from a toyota prius I hope to mess with.
    As you might have noticed in the first pic I also installed Nolathane sway bar end link bushings, I also did the sway bar bushings and the strut rod(caster rod) bushings, boy what a difference a couple bushings made, I cant wait to do the rest of the suspension.
    That's all for now,
    More to come soon I hope!!!

Cheers
    Alec.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    How come the toe in went crazy? In theory it shouldn't have made a difference so is the geometry on the drop spindles out? And where will the 'D' bushes be located with the rear bar upgrade?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    You're right, in theory the toe in shouldn't have changed but it was way out on the new spindles, so yeah, they must have been made a little off.
    The bushes will be on supports coming off the frame, I'll post about it as soon as I get it mocked up

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...and now I can see all of the images Yeah nice ghetto wiring you were left to deal with. The clutch fan is scary close to the radiator! Pajero calipers are a definite win - you thought about an LSD rear swap?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    ...and now I can see all of the images Yeah nice ghetto wiring you were left to deal with. The clutch fan is scary close to the radiator! Pajero calipers are a definite win - you thought about an LSD rear swap?
    Yeah I'm not a 'fan' of the radiator fan either hence it will be replaced soon with an electric fan and shroud.

I would love an LSD swap! just need to get a few more other mods done first

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast