Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B

power steering not self centering on gen 2 mighty max/triton

Hi,
    So I have recently completed a power steering conversion on my gen 2.
    It works great except for the fact that after turning a corner it does not quite self center completely (the steering wheel does not return to straight on its own) and I have to turn it back myself
    I have used a steering box from the exact same model triton and I have a pump off of a 4g54 starion with a built in reservoir on the back.
    What I will do next is get a wheel alignment just in case, this shouldn't be the cause of the issue because it self centered under manual steering before the conversion. I will also replace the pump belt as this is second hand and came with the pump(even though it looks almost new)

Im worried the box is worn out, but hoping someone has had this issue before and it was an easy fix.
    Any ideas what it could be? Anything should try to fix the issue?

Cheers

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. This is a tricky one. It could be due to the fact you've taken everything apart that something has been altered that isn't obvious. Was the steering box complete with the pitman arm or did you use all of the manual link assembly? The power steering shafts might be out of alignment by a spline if you've re-used the manual box pitman arm (?). What are all of your front end components like as far as serviceability? I think the belts should be fine as it will only affect power transmission through the hydraulics if it's slipping and if the steering box had issues, you'd hear and feel it under normal conditions. Get it in for an alignment and see what the shop has to say.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Front end is pretty good, the ute has done well under 200,000 kms. I used the arm that came with the power steering box, didn't take anything out of alignment, so it is all good on that one.
    I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the shop says

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Just noticed that you are a fellow Adelite - awesome You won't see me driving in my L200 yet. It's like the Sistene Chapel (just not as pretty and hopefully won't take 16 years to complete...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Hah, Nice! Definitely didn't expect to meet someone from Adelaide on here. I started a build thread last night so when that goes up you'll see what my little triton looks like. I may have blamed the previous owner for some dodgy work done on the ute too, hopefully it isn't anyone you know

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello AlecBB,

A neighbor on NZ tortron has dug into the steering gear box on these trucks, maybe he has an answer..? He taught me about the box having a bleeder screw on the sector shaft cover... Would air in the system cause any driveability issues other than make noises..? Good Luck & let us know how you fix it, thanks...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecBB View Post
    Hi,
    It works great except for the fact that after turning a corner it does not quite self center completely (the steering wheel does not return to straight on its own) and I have to turn it back myself
    Found This: What causes poor steering return?Typically, poor steering returnability is caused by steering gear that is too tight or improperly adjusted. ... Sticking or binding components, such as a king pin, ball joint, bell crank or even the steering column can prevent the steering wheel from returning to center after a turn.

Array
    Status
    Christiana, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Wheel alignment can also cause issues, especially caster.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Found This: What causes poor steering return?Typically, poor steering returnability is caused by steering gear that is too tight or improperly adjusted. ... Sticking or binding components, such as a king pin, ball joint, bell crank or even the steering column can prevent the steering wheel from returning to center after a turn.

That has me thinking I might have tightened the crown nut too tight on the pitman arm tie rod end.......hmmmm.....will have to play with this tomorrow.

also noted after helping my sister move house yesterday that the box is leaking fluid.........so good chance its fucked......getting a quote for a rebuild.....yay......down the rabbit hole we go

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    AlecBB, my 1986 steering gear box leaks too from top area of sector shaft (no leak @ bleeder valve) Hawaii has two stores selling rebuilt box's NAPA & Autozone (but the NAPA 4x4 box is for a Mitsubishi although it's the same part# as a Dodge 4x4 go figure?) the Autozone store shows same part# for both Mitsu & Dodge... Huh, weird..? If NAPA backs warranty for a Dodge then whichever store has the lowest price for a core is what I want... That way, I'll keep my existing box & try rebuilding it / or stop & just keep the part as a spare... Then, if the NAPA/Autozone box craps out, I could inspect both boxes to see if one good box can be made... Here is a website that shows what to look for when rebuilding these suckers:

PAGE ONE http://www.stangerssite.com/CanISteeringBox.html
    PAGE TWO http://www.stangerssite.com/CanISteeringBox2.html

In USA, I know seal kits are available but I don't know if bearings & such can be bought..?

Steering & brakes are #1 important; we can't safely keep driving until the steering goes out completely (YIKES) I have experienced brakes going out driving my dad's 1960 Nash Metropolitan exiting down a Freeway Off Ramp that ended in a Tee (YIKES YIKES) the emergency brake & a turn to the left stopped us without any more than a scary slide in the dirt

edit: O'Reilly's Auto Parts shows rebuilt steering gear boxes as well... Chrysler service manual says: "Malfunction of gear box housing -- replace gear box & Malfunction of O ring or seal -- replace O ring and seal...

edit: From the 1986 Chrysler Service Manual
    Steering Gear Diagram.jpg

edit: AlecBB Poor recovery of steering wheel to straight ahead position: Probable cause --> insufficient tire inflation pressure... IAW CSM
    Last edited by xboxrox; 08-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide - Australia
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Triton
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks xboxrox, that helps heaps!
    I will have a play with tire pressure and see how it affects the steering.
    In terms of rebuilding I just do not have the space at home to do it, would have to go to my parents farm where I have workshop space.....something I'm struggling with time for. Hence I'll probs get a pro to do it