Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Talking Government Surplus D50 AKA The SaltyM8

Hey guys, Long time lurker here decided to finally post my D50's unique story. It was ordered as part of 5 D50s for the US Navy back in the day when Reagan was president. I have a copy of the original buy sheet with the 5 d50s vins and prices. Also have records going all the way back to 1985 as well. It was purchased in 2010 by a family friends brother from a govt liquidation website who then sold it to my family friend who then gave it to me as my first car after High School. Since then It's had its engine rebuilt, transmission replaced (junkyard replacement) and a roll bar added from a d50 who graciously donated many parts including the transmission to the project and allowed mine to live on. I found a funny paper in my records that was a request from one of the navy guys who was requesting A/c be installed his reasoning was "For the heath and well-being of the employee" needless to say they had A/c installed shortly after haha! It served 25 years at China Lake, in California as mostly an equipment mover, it also had a range radio on it and theres a plug on the back of the cab where the antenna was. It had a generator in the back which was removed before they sold it. They forgot to remove the Navy stickers so it still says "US Navy for Official use only" on the sides also theres a sticker on the dash showing a law that says anyone who uses it other than for a military use will be penalized. I tried to search for the other 4 d50s with no luck, mine might be the only one on the road still 3 of the 5 ordered have sequential vins. The keys have dog tags on them with the number of the vehicle which is also a sticker on the sides of the truck and the tailgate. No one has posted that ive seen about military used D50s. Thanks for reading!

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    d501.jpgd502.jpgd503.jpg
    Meant to put these pics in the post, Sorry for that one being sideways :p

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I believe Xboxrox's ram50 is a former Navy truck as well. Cool truck!

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Nice and you know it had regular maintenance too! Good score.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A cool truck with history - very nice. The roll bar in the tray looks like the entire truck would crumble around it before it got remotely scratched and it even has provisions for overhead driving lights. It's interesting that the military chose something that wasn't US made for general duties.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    They probably wanted something reliable geezer haha.
    Very cool bit of history, are there any mods listed in the paperwork?

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Seems to just be a stripper 4wd, they ordered it with no radio, and no a/c they ended up putting in a/c and then the po added a radio and speakers. Only mod on it would be when the engine was rebuilt we put on a non jet valve head, stock otherwise. It passes smog first try every time here in california. Reading through the paperwork they replaced the head in the early 2000s and also had the old transmission rebuilt around the same time, though that one ended up dieing on me thus now it has a junkyard tranny, so its on its 3rd cylinder head and 2nd and a half transmission lol. A lot of repairs were on the A/C seems like they maybe didnt install it correctly but eventually they had it fixed and dialed in. the truck now has ~200k miles, the rear end is original and never rebuilt. the rebuild on the short block I had done was only just honing the cylinders very lightly and replaceing bearings and rings, has original pistons and crank then my friend and I installed the new head and the rest, also has a remanufactered carb.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yours is not the only Ram 50s owned by the military I have seen. Here in Pittsburgh the Army reserve base had a couple of 2nd Gen D50s in their fleet, painted mint green for some reason. Great to see you have most of its military history - maybe it qualifies for veteran benefits and pension?
    Last edited by pennyman1; 11-10-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Yours is not the only Ram 50s owned but the military I have seen. Here is Pittsburgh the Army reserve base had a couple of 2nd Gen D50s in their fleet, painted mint green for some reason. Great to see you have most of its military history - maybe it qualifies for veteran benefits and pension?
    well it did serve 25 years so maybe it does ������������

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Darklord, my truck is one of those several Mitsubishi trucks in a shipment to China Lake NAWS from Nagoya, Japan via Portland, Oregon... I got your truck's brother, sister, niece, or nephew... November 2011 I bought it from Government Liquidation (now Go Dove) picked it up at Marine Logistics Base in Barstow, California... Gifted it to my brother, later had it painted for him at Beale AFB 'n he used it until he passed... It now lives in Kailua, Hawaii... No A/C no radio 'n still all original, 129,300 miles now...
    Congrats to you for having a Mitsubishi truck...

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm not going to say where I saw this, but I was fascinated to see a corporate fleet still using a ram 50 of this age. This truck is not street-licensed and has just 35,000 on the odometer.
    IMG_2072_small.jpg