Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Clutch Cable problem

My clutch pedal is just limp until the very end then it moves the clutch, so i cannot get into any gear while the car is on. I replaced the cable but it has the same problem even after adjusting it all the way. I did notice that if my friend held the cable tight the clutch pedal worked again but I was wondering if i should shorten the cable or if there is some underlying problem?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Is it the right cable and is the thrust/throw out bearing in the trans still good? You might be able to shim the bottom end of the cable where it passes through the mount to take up the slack but it can't be allowed to wobble around or it'll wear through the inner cable. I've ghetto fixed clutch cables before that have been on the end of their adjustment and found an extra inch of life so there is always a way to get a 'get out of jail' free card.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The cable is the right one, I dont know if the throw out bearing is bad the trans is from a junkyard d50 that had 192k miles. Right now i have it zip tied tight so i can get around in the mean time but its just a bandaid. I also thought that maybe if i shortened the cable it would fix it. What do you mean you shimmed the bottom end by the mount? the part where it mounts on the tranny?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There's a bracket that the transmission end of the clutch cable passes through. You might be able to add a piece of metal tubing in there to take up the slack or even add spacers to the mounting bracket and use longer bolts. Look long enough and the answer will come to you
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Im going to try shimming it in a few days here, been too busy to do it before haha, thanks for the advice! Ill update after its done

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I had a similar problem. I used the adjustment at the firewall and it worked for a bit. Eventually I dropped the trans to put in a new clutch. I forget the specifics, this is the only time I have done this, but from what I remember the clutch was in the same shape as the one in the box I had. I only had to replace the throw out bearing which was obviously worn. It has not given me any problems since. 10 or 12 years but only about 20K miles I think.
    Edit- I had paid to have a new clutch put in a few years prior. That is why it looked as good as the one in the box.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 11-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    i put some shims underneath like you said, and now my truck shifts again thank you!!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Cool - and you're welcome

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    seems like the shims only work for a short amount of time then i have to add more. very weird its like the cable is stretching or something this is the second cable this has happened to im not sure how to fix this problem any ideas?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ill look into it

Array
    Status
    Gilroy,CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thank you I based on that other post i need the MB012460 because my truck is a g54b and 4wd, i thought my cable was the same as the original i layed them next to each other and it was the same maybe i shouldve actually measured or maybe my original wore out and stretched out