Thread: Transmissions leaking fluid between engine and trans. Help?

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

Transmissions leaking fluid between engine and trans. Help?

Hi guys! Looking at picking up a 91 Dodge Ram 50 with the 6G72 and the auto transmission. I have experience with Montero's and this motor and it runs strong. The transmission is leaking lots of fluid where the engine meets the trans. I shifted it from Park into Drive and a ton of fluid came out. I have done some looking around, but cant seem to find any info on whether it could just be the front seal leaking or if there is another problem.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. I'd place first bet on a bad seal and/or wear in the area of the seal on a metal surface. Like all of these kinds of issues, you won't know until you take it apart what the actual problem is. I don't think it's much else as if it was something like a split torque converter, it would be coughing trans fluid continuously.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If someone overfilled it, it could be burping out the dipstick tube and running down the back of the block. My Crown Victoria burps out the dipstick tube occasionally for an unknown reason. If you're sure it's coming from between the engine and transmission then geezer is (as he always is) spot on, there's really not anything to do but take it apart and find the culprit. I wouldn't pay a ton for it, always the possibility you'll have to buy a transmission.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I appreciate the help gents! Price wise I am looking at $250-300 as the guy just wants to get rid of it. Do you know where I can find the FSM, so I can look at a diagram?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The manuals section has FSM's If you can't read it then it is probably one of the benefits of donating as is editing your posts except for the wanted and for sale section.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    If someone overfilled it, it could be burping out the dipstick tube and running down the back of the block. My Crown Victoria burps out the dipstick tube occasionally for an unknown reason. If you're sure it's coming from between the engine and transmission then geezer is (as he always is) spot on, there's really not anything to do but take it apart and find the culprit. I wouldn't pay a ton for it, always the possibility you'll have to buy a transmission.
    LOL 'always'? Now I'm in for it. Get ready for armageddon If you buy it and it shifts properly, you may be lucky and get away with one seal and maybe a trans service kit + adjustment. Unfortunately it's one of those jobs that's not hard to fix but a lot of work for one little seal. The price tag is a steal if you can wrench on it yourself. Good luck with it!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I bought this at O'Reilly's today, hoping it might fix a leaking steering gear box leak... Not sure how long must wait, never read any directions or labels, just poured it in... Photo turns upright when clicked on & gets mo bigga
    Steering Box Leak Fix.jpg

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ianbarton,
    $250-$300 ---PERFECT --- however,
    With humble respects , I would ck for oil leak at front timing cover seal.
    If the crank is 'walking' around, the torque convertor is moving with it !
    bad ju-ju !!
    Engine & Trans need service- not worth $300 ___ or worth everything
    if You like the truck.