Array
    Status
    Kevil ky
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question Help identify this part

Hello everyone I’m new here I recently picked up a 88 Dodge Ram 50 single cab long wheel base stick shift for $450 it needs a clutch and a few parts but I can not find out the name of this part can you all help? It is attached I’ve been told it’s an evap part but can’t find anything for it B1D224C1-92BE-4F22-8E9D-73DE78BC723D.jpg

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the site. The part in question is reed valve that is supposed to add fresh air to the exhaust during warm up and deceleration. The extra air helps the catalytic converter reduce emissions under those conditions. Since the metal pipe from the valve is cut, the valve is no longer functional. If the truck has a Weber carburetor, the valve is useless and you can remove it without doing any harm.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah it's part of anti pollution junk on these engines. It was a way of fudging emissions readings to make engines (appear to) run cleaner. Unless you need it to pass an inspection, it might be worth your while hunt down an exhaust manifold sans air valve. A lot of the time EGR and emission control systems are messed with like this when the owner has a problem and takes a wild guess at the cause.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kevil ky
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you both and I do have to pass an inspection so can’t just take it off sadly can I come y’all tell me the name of the part that goes into the exhaust?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Is this stuff available off a Dodge Caravan? There should be plenty around (just taking a guess )
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you can't find one , I have one on an 89 parts truck I may be able to get off, but no guarantees…
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Is this stuff available off a Dodge Caravan? There should be plenty around (just taking a guess )
    unfortunately i believe the Chrysler FWD engines had a totally different manifold setup than the ram 50's had. I once got an engine out of an 84' dodge 600 and it had some weird pre-catalytic converter with some Chrysler bolt on emissions equipment. in fact the two first gens i had different exhaust manifolds as well and one of them was an 86' so 87-89 must have had their own manifold/reed valve tube setup.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you have the 2.6L engine, the part number of the pipe is MD113958. It might be the same for the 2.0L, but I'm not sure. The dealer name is "pipe assembly" to the "Secondary air supply system." All domestic sites I checked listed it as "discontinued" so your best bet is used from a wrecking yard or another site member. Before you start your search, remove the reed valve and the exhaust manifold shroud. Look for cracks in the manifold where the pipes join. If cracked (not an uncommon occurrence), replace the manifold as well as the pipe. If no cracks, remove the other end of the pipe where it attaches on the firewall side of the manifold just above the header pipe connection. It may be rusted to the manifold so get out the penetrating oil and remove it while trying to preserve the threads in the manifold.

Array
    Status
    Riverside California
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It is an air injection valve that lets air in the exhaust to continue to burn hydrocarbons in the catalytic converter. It does not affect the power of the engine. It just helps clean the air and increases the life and performance of the catalytic converter.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the problem with that being open is that it causes a huge exhaust leak, and will make a lot of noise. I sold the parts truck I had, so I don't have anything available at the moment.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980