G54B

OIL PAN REMOVAL --- Educate Me Please

Haynes Manual says raise engine a few inches by removing motor mounts

Chrysler Service Manual procedure is with engine removed from truck

YouTube says remove sway bar & steering linkage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLseqs0coc

MightyRam50 says raise engine
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ket-on-2-6-4x4

Auto parts stores sell oil pan gaskets for this truck BUT Chrysler Service Manual uses a bead of sealant only

-----------------------------------------------
    THE Uneducated PLAN

1) Obtain new steering linkage parts (figure out which ones & what they are called?)
    2) Remove sway bar & steering linkage
    3) Use the left over gray high temp 700F sealer from the valve cover gasket job done last month (if there is enough?)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Raising the engine is the fast access way. You're going to run into obstacles either way (like the steering drag link/engine in) but you have to go with what your resources will let you. A bead of high temp sealant will do the job as far as the sump is concerned. With the engine in, it'll be a PITA to install a gasket (IMO).
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks geezer for the educational info:

Since my thread start, the mechanic who helped me install a new valve cover gasket says it's possible the oil pan is NOT leaking (all the gunk might have come from the leaking valve cover)... He thinks I should clean the block & pan (in place) with the truck on a lift ($6.00 Hour) Afterwards, check for leaks as time goes by... He knows how much work it will be to clean all the road dirt/oil gunk in place but he advises: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..." He also knows the steering gear on this truck is leaking; for that, he advised buying a rebuilt unit from Rock Auto & says It will be enough work just installing it, let alone trying to rebuild it... On that I agree 100% especially after reading the Chrysler Service Manual chapter on "Steering Gear" YIKES..! Tortron is a genius..!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's also possible the sump bolts are loose. I'm always tightening them up on both mine and wifeys engines. If you can get it up onto a hoist to clean it for $6 p/hr I'd go for it. A can or 2 of oven cleaner and a pressure cleaner does miracles, but there are places you really can't get to very efficiently on the ground. I know the trans tunnel under the cab on my truck is REVOLTING - getting to it from underneath would make a huge difference (even though no-one is ever really going to see it). It's also a good opportunity to see what condition everything is in general (it might not be 'broke' but it's better to know sumpin' is afoot before it ambushes you)

If you do get the underside of your truck cleaned up, take a pic or 2 if they don't mind you doing so during the process to keep the voyeurs entertained
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Pics -- work

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Found a leak at the front crankshaft area, front of oilpan soaked with oil ~ hope O'Reilly's rents a seal removal/install tool kit ~ sent parts order request for new Mitsubishi OEM crankshaft front oil seal ~ YouTube instructed me to use sticky grease to help hold the seal spring in place during install ~ am hoping to avoid oil pan removal now that I know it's a real PITA

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    New OIL PAN Question ~ anyone know if aftermarket off road oil pans are available ?