Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Tail light lens interchange??

WIll the second gen tail light lens fit the 1st gen?
    !st gen lens' are like hens teeth out there.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm going to guess no, as the 1 st gen light is tapered at the top and the 2nd ge is straight.
    This seems to be an ok deal though https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...2/112566554837

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I found these https://www.ebay.com/itm/232947683571 and ordered them since mine are water damaged in the sockets. I also found a different add for plastic covers at twice the price of the one you did. Apparently Walmart used to sell them and I got the Mitsubishi part number MB140569 off the page for their old ad that came up. Adding it to my search found me the ones I bought.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They are the aftermarket copies of tail light lenses and at that price you'd be better off getting the same crappy ones from Thailand for 1/5 of the price. Sorry dude. They aren't great quality either. The lenses are thinner than stock and the fitment is sketchy (they don't seal up very well weatherwise)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mitsubi...sAAOSwiwZb4~kh
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I didn't see any for 1/5th the price. Those were the only ones with the full assembly that I saw. Until I saw them I was just going to get the lens. The ones I have aren't great, I remember the one with the really rusty light socket, RH side I think was about 2/3 full of water when I bought it 15 years ago. It hasn't filled up since but I'd like to get new and coat the mating parts with dielectric grease
    I guess I'll find out soon they have already shipped. They did email and ask for a picture of my lights to make sure theirs would fit and I sent them one of the right side similar to the pic of the left side in that ad. They confirmed it was the correct fit.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I didn't see any for 1/5th the price. Those were the only ones with the full assembly that I saw. Until I saw them I was just going to get the lens. The ones I have aren't great, I remember the one with the really rusty light socket, RH side I think was about 2/3 full of water when I bought it 15 years ago. It hasn't filled up since but I'd like to get new and coat the mating parts with dielectric grease
    I guess I'll find out soon they have already shipped. They did email and ask for a picture of my lights to make sure theirs would fit and I sent them one of the right side similar to the pic of the left side in that ad. They confirmed it was the correct fit.
    I'm an idiot. I didn't even check that they were full assemblies When you break it down price wise, $40ish for one replacement tail light is good value. You'd either have to be extremely lucky or cashed up to get a new OEM genuine. I doubt they even exist.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I figured it was good. I saw other complete setups but it was for a 2nd gen. These look identical to what I have which may be replacements themselves for all I know.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    First gen tail lights taper in at the top following the bed line. 2nd gen are more rectangular. I have a set of repro 1st gen and 2nd gen. I would immediately solder the ground wire on (it's held on by wrapping around a spring) and make up a foam gasket between the lens and body, the originals have these but repros don't. If possible use original backings and just the repro lenses. The lenses themselves are about a half as thick plastic as the originals.

They are not great, but it seems the only option. Cheap though, buy a few and change them every 10 years? The ones on my Ute for 3 years look fine, I have scratched them loading heavy stuff into the tray and they didn't crack or anything. Potentially they will fade faster than the originals, but no sign of that yet (and NZ has the most UV exposure of anywhere)

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Tortron Do you mean foam like I might get at the hardware to put around my door? Or something more auto specific? I will definitely do the solder.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you want OEM lenses and taillight assemblies, hit up Mike Warme He is the only one I know that really has them, unlike others that say they do then cancel the order.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Foam.
    You can just use some window seal foam I think. I had some self adhesive black stuff left over from some car project. Basically any self adhesive closed foam thats not too thick

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK Trotron. I have some laying around. It also worked on the cowl I just painted for my Dakota.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    They showed up just now. To be honest they feel more substantial then what I have in there. I guess that is because they are new. I can see what you mean about weather Tortron. I'm not going to install them until I finish fixing up with the bed. here are pictures. The wires seem small but are secure. I only opened one.
    lights.jpg open1.jpg open2.jpg back open1.jpg backopen2.jpg inside open1.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well to install the tail lights I had to bang in that middle piece of metal that goes across the hole and it is still iffy. One black wire came loose. I had to pull the one it paired to and the blade from the connector then solder them together and put the blade back into the connector. One backup light didn't want to work when I started to remove the screws it came on?
    So I probably did not get a good deal. Here are some pics of the fit. I might contact the seller to inform them about the fit and the wires.
    drvr lens.jpg top pass lens.jpg pass lens.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yep the repro tail light lenses I bought have the same issues. The chamber dividers don't fit properly, the rubber seal around the casing doesn't seal that well onto the edges of the lenses and they sort of don't fit that well once assembled and installed. This is how they are. I have both the OEM assemblies and a pair of old repros and the repros bulb sockets and wiring are pretty ordinary quality wise. I am considering cutting up the repro lights and modifying them to run LED panels in them (I'd feel bad about butchering OEM's unless they were already busted up)

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I sent a negative feedback mentioned the bad fit. I may go ahead and start messaging them about this as they seemed genuinely interested in having a good interaction with me maybe they will care and do something to correct the manufacturing problems. I suspect their molds are old or built based on something other than OE models or figures however that is done. I had to trim the tab for the U nut in one corner But they look nice from a distance

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They're legal so at least they'll keep the LEO's off you. These repros have been around for decades and haven't changed. I have worked in injection molding and in all honesty it wouldn't have taken much to rectify the dies to improve fitment, the lens thickness and the added bonus of the improvement of plastics would've made these a much better quality product all round. I'd pay 50% more for a part that mounts like factory OEM and has UV stable polycarbonate lenses. Problem is - market. It's a lot to invest for such a small demand