Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Where can I get this hose?

I replaced the ruptured OEM hose on my truck with a straight hose. The original hose was curved, but when I went to the auto parts store to get an exact replacement, they didn't have it. So I used a straight hose instead, thinking it wasn't a big issue. While getting my truck ready for my new weber carburetor, I got a better view of the hose after removing the mikuni carburetor and it looks awful. I can now understand why the engineers decided to give the hose a curved shape. So that the water can flow better. (I'm such a dodo bird.) The straight hose I put on the truck looks like a kinked water hose. I can't believe the truck didn't overheat with such awful water flow. I theorize this might also be the culprit of why the heater doesn't work? Since I have easy access to the hose, does anyone know where I could get an oem replacement? Rockauto has some curved hoses but I don't remember exactly how the profile looked. If anyone can help me replace the straight hose with the proper hose, that would be awesome. Thank you.
    Whats this hose called.jpg

Mystery Solved, thanks to MrPaco! The hose is part number: GATES 18816
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 08-11-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Am away from my parts manual, but I'm sure someone will know. But you could dig through the hoses at your parts store and cut one down to length

Its a manifold heater hose. I looked a little and didnt see any listed (just straight hose) so cutting one down may be the only option

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I replaced the hose barb on the manifold with a brass single outlet (something like what's used on Fords etc) to get rid of the 'T' section that connects to the water choke on the original carb (plus it was rotten...). We have auto parts shops that sell everything and the radiator and heater hoses are all bundled together in wire basket shelving. I knew I had zero chance of finding a heater return hose for my Gen 1 so I took the bad hose into the shop and burrowed through the hoses until I found one that was near identical in layout and diameter except one end was a lot longer. Problem solved. All I had to do was cut it down and it was probably cheaper than trying to source the genuine hose.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I think I might of found it? It says heater to pipe in the description.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...206683&jsn=346

The curves look similar from memory, I can't be sure though. Maybe someone still has the oem hose and can take a picture and share it with us. The oem hose if I remember correctly had markings in blue lettering that said, "water hose" with a logo near it, I think. That's what my memory can remember. Someone out there must know...

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I replaced the hose barb on the manifold with a brass single outlet (something like what's used on Fords etc) to get rid of the 'T' section that connects to the water choke on the original carb (plus it was rotten...). We have auto parts shops that sell everything and the radiator and heater hoses are all bundled together in wire basket shelving. I knew I had zero chance of finding a heater return hose for my Gen 1 so I took the bad hose into the shop and burrowed through the hoses until I found one that was near identical in layout and diameter except one end was a lot longer. Problem solved. All I had to do was cut it down and it was probably cheaper than trying to source the genuine hose.
    Yup, that's what I was going to end up doing, just figured I ask the internet for help.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I think that I may have found the hose. It might be part number CONTINENTAL 63284.https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...863&cc=1096321

May someone pop open their hood and confirm this is the correct hose. Rockauto has multiple pictures for comparison.

A little bit more digging around the internet and I found this:
    https://partsouq.com/es/search/search?q=MB527557

The OEM part number might be MITSUBISHI MB527557.

There is more useful information on this website:
    http://www.kakapart.com/parts/goodyear-63284.html

Has many interchangeable part numbers.
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 08-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I just used hose off the roll on mine for those heater hoses.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    Yea, I guess that will work, It would just be best if we can get as close to the oem hose as possible.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm pretty sure that goes through the firewall into the cab and connects to the heater. It does on my first gen.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that goes through the firewall into the cab and connects to the heater. It does on my first gen.
    This is for gen2, some things are interchangeable though I imagine. May someone with a gen2 take a picture of their hose and put this mystery to rest once and for all?

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    This is for gen2, some things are interchangeable though I imagine. May someone with a gen2 take a picture of their hose and put this mystery to rest once and for all?
    Here ya go.
    This is as good an angle as I can get, I have the original carb and air intake which is in the way.
    Let us know once you figure this out, it looks like my hose is starting to disintegrate as well...
    I think you're on the right track with that second link from rockauto, the 10" continental looks about right.

R8Ly9ka.jpg 08IIsfU.jpg NwHYSRC.jpg 0YBDQz9.jpg
    Last edited by MrPaco; 08-06-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Hose Mystery Solved Thanks to MrPaco

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaco View Post
    Here ya go.
    This is as good an angle as I can get, I have the original carb and air intake which is in the way.
    Let us know once you figure this out, it looks like my hose is starting to disintegrate as well...
    I think you're on the right track with that second link from rockauto, the 10" continental looks about right.

R8Ly9ka.jpg 08IIsfU.jpg NwHYSRC.jpg 0YBDQz9.jpg
    Thank you very much MrPaco! Your pictures helped me confirm that the CONTINENTAL and Gates 18816 are the correct hoses. I ended up getting the Gates 18816 from Rockauto only because it has a lifetime warranty compared to the Continental's 12 month warranty. I'm sure they both will work just fine though. Heck, they probably are the same hose, possibly just rebranded. Strangely enough the Gates 18816 isn't listed under the Mitsubishi brand, nor the Dodge brand on the Rockauto website. The continental does come out under the Dodge brand on Rockauto, but not the Mitsubishi brand. I learned if you can't get a part under the Mitsubishi brand you can probably get it under the Dodge brand and vise versa on the Rockauto website or any other website. They are the same truck I believe just different brands. I took the continental part number and googled its alternatives. The gates 18816 part number then came up as a similar alternative. Out of curiosity I searched for the Gates 18816 on the Rockauto website and bam, they had it! https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1883I ordered it and the hose just arrived today. I put it on the truck and it fit like a glove. Thank you MrPaco for the help.

If I were you I would replace your rotting hose immediately. I remember when my hose ruptured, it left me stranded on the street because the engine almost overheated to death. Luckily I wasn't too far from the autoparts store and was able to get a hose, albeit not like the oem one. At the time they didn't have the oem hose or it was just not under the Mitsubishi brand on their system, so I had to get a straight hose as I didn't have a choice. I needed to get my truck back home.

Now I have the oem hose, which is so much better then the straight hose I had to forcefully bend 90 degrees to fit. As I said previously, this was an awful idea, as it restricted water flow tremendously. It's like taking a water hose and bending it 90 degrees, you will end up restricting water flow or stopping it all together.

Just out of curiosity MrPaco, have you ever replaced your hose or is it still the factory hose? These hoses last a long time. I believe that my truck had the original factory hose and I was the first to replace it. That was like a 30 year old hose if it was never replaced by the previous owners. It looked factory though, I remember that the hose had "water hose" in blue printed on it with a triangular Masonic looking logo next to it. If you ever get to replacing your hose, it might have the same blue text as mine assuming the hose I replaced was the original. If so, may you please take pics, just to ease my memory. Below are some pictures of the hose:
    IMG_20190808_120853.jpg
    IMG_20190808_182348.jpg
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 08-08-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That's great, glad the pictures helped. I'll add this to my to do list, the hose looks pretty ratty.
    I'm curious as to what's involved in making the replacement. Is it as easy as moving the air intake out the way? or does it involve taking the whole carburetor out, etc, to reach the hose? And will coolant start gushing out when i disconnect the hose?

I really doubt the hose has been changed before, I'll look for the markings you mentioned.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    That's great, glad the pictures helped. I'll add this to my to do list, the hose looks pretty ratty.
    I'm curious as to what's involved in making the replacement. Is it as easy as moving the air intake out the way? or does it involve taking the whole carburetor out, etc, to reach the hose? And will coolant start gushing out when i disconnect the hose?

I really doubt the hose has been changed before, I'll look for the markings you mentioned.

Thanks
    I don't think it will require removing the carburetor. From what I can vaguely remember, I didn't remove it. You definitely have to remove the air intake out of the way, which is really easy. Unless you have x-Ray vision and can go through things like a ghost you will be required to remove the air intake. Which is very simple.

It won't gush out violently, it will just flow water out gently. It would be best to drain the coolant a bit or completely just so that you don't get water everywhere. Don't be alarmed though a bit of coolant will drip. Remember to do this with a cold engine. Let everything cool down completely. This is a really easy job with minimal tools required. The most annoying part is getting the hose removed from the rusted barb. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The carb doesn't need to be removed to replace the top heater hose. As BJH has cautioned, the barb for the heater/choke hose can be in bad shape from rust. Other than the potential rust problem, this is an easy job. Have a small container on hand to collect as much coolant as you can when disconnecting the heater hose from the barb (you won't have much run off out of it).
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Removed the air intake, it was as easy as you guys said. Wanted to take a look to see if any of the other hoses might need replacing before I order it. The one we're talking about is the only one that is starting to fall apart, but I think it might be a good idea to replace the one that is below that one while I have the intake off.
    What is the lower hose (the one that is about an inch lower going into the firewall) for? Is that the return for the coolant going into the heater core from the hose above? The service manual doesn't show that hose in the same diagram as the other one.
    It looks like it might be the same shape, but can't tell for sure. Any idea if the same hose will work in that location?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Removed the air intake, it was as easy as you guys said. Wanted to take a look to see if any of the other hoses might need replacing before I order it. The one we're talking about is the only one that is starting to fall apart, but I think it might be a good idea to replace the one that is below that one while I have the intake off.
    What is the lower hose (the one that is about an inch lower going into the firewall) for? Is that the return for the coolant going into the heater core from the hose above? The service manual doesn't show that hose in the same diagram as the other one.
    It looks like it might be the same shape, but can't tell for sure. Any idea if the same hose will work in that location?
    If none of your heater hoses have been replaced before, I would highly advice you replace all of them. They are not expensive and it will save you a headache down the road. The lower heater hose looks identical to the one above it, but examine it carefully and surely they are different. The bottom hose is part number: GATES 18815. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=347&jsn=347 As for it's purpose, I'm not entirely sure. I believe it is the return hose.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^ +1 on that. Yep, I'd replace them all while you're digging around in there. There are 3 hoses of the same diameter in that location - inlet to the heater, the heater return and a bypass hose for when the heater valve is shut. I've had the bypass hose fail on me in a similar set up.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Here is a picture with all three hoses and their part numbers next to them:
    IMG_20190811_171952.jpg

I got the Dayco hose a long time ago and if it ever fails I will replace it with a Gates hose. I believe the Gates alternative to the Dayco is part number GATES 21757. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=260&jsn=260 The pictures on the Rockauto website look similar to the Dayco hose I have installed on my truck and it shows up as an alternative on kakapart. I search for part alternatives on http://www.kakapart.com. Just search the part number you want an alternative to and it'll list the different manufactures. In my case, I searched for Dayco 71231 and a number of different alternatives showed up. It's a really cool website for searching part alternatives.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Perfect, thank you.
    The one I was thinking of was the one you tagged as the Gates 18815. I didnt even looked at the one below, but I will check it out too, just in case.
    Are all the two lower hoses part of the same system? Do they all carry coolant?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Perfect, thank you.
    The one I was thinking of was the one you tagged as the Gates 18815. I didnt even looked at the one below, but I will check it out too, just in case.
    Are all the two lower hoses part of the same system? Do they all carry coolant?
    I believe they are part of the same system. May someone chime in and explain what the purpose of these three hoses are.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    I believe they are part of the same system. May someone chime in and explain what the purpose of these three hoses are.
    I missed your previous post, and Geezer's, about that hose being the return. Makes sense, I'll go ahead and so all three at once.
    Thanks for the info and part numbers.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I missed your previous post, and Geezer's, about that hose being the return. Makes sense, I'll go ahead and so all three at once.
    Thanks for the info and part numbers.
    No problem. I sound like a commercial, but Rockauto has all these hoses and you can get 5% discount with a code that can be obtained by Google searching for one.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Finally got around to replacing the hoses today, did all three as recommended.
    It was a pretty straightforward job, as you guys said it would be, but getting the old hoses out was challenging. The lower hose was the hardest due to the position of the clamps. Whoever installed this hose, at the factory or after, thought it would be a funny idea to leave the clamps facing down so there was no way to get to them. Took a lot of tinkering with different tools to turn them around and finally getting them off.

The barbs had no rust, got lucky. Putting the new hoses on was easy, and I drained the radiator so no coolant spills to deal with.

I got the hoses from Amazon, a little cheaper than RA ($23 for all three, free shipping), they are listed there under the same numbers you tracked down.

Here are the new hoses, you can't see the lower one but it's down there.

IMG_9586.jpg

BJH324JH, my hoses had similar markings to what you described, so probably were the original ones on both trucks. A triangular logo, and the words WATER HOSE 860924, but in mine they were not printed in blue, they were stamped. Also, a little red circle marking.
    Both of the two top hoses had the same number on them. The bypass hose didn't have any markings at all, and it had a diffrent type of clamp that the top two, all the clamps all look oem and are found in other parts on the engine, so maybe it was different for a reason?

IMG_9591.jpg

Thanks for the idea to do this, and the guidance.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Finally got around to replacing the hoses today, did all three as recommended.
    It was a pretty straightforward job, as you guys said it would be, but getting the old hoses out was challenging. The lower hose was the hardest due to the position of the clamps. Whoever installed this hose, at the factory or after, thought it would be a funny idea to leave the clamps facing down so there was no way to get to them. Took a lot of tinkering with different tools to turn them around and finally getting them off.

The barbs had no rust, got lucky. Putting the new hoses on was easy, and I drained the radiator so no coolant spills to deal with.

I got the hoses from Amazon, a little cheaper than RA ($23 for all three, free shipping), they are listed there under the same numbers you tracked down.

Here are the new hoses, you can't see the lower one but it's down there.

IMG_9586.jpg

BJH324JH, my hoses had similar markings to what you described, so probably were the original ones on both trucks. A triangular logo, and the words WATER HOSE 860924, but in mine they were not printed in blue, they were stamped. Also, a little red circle marking.
    Both of the two top hoses had the same number on them. The bypass hose didn't have any markings at all, and it had a diffrent type of clamp that the top two, all the clamps all look oem and are found in other parts on the engine, so maybe it was different for a reason?

IMG_9591.jpg

Thanks for the idea to do this, and the guidance.
    WOW, thank you very much for your update. Glad you got the job done. Looking at the picture you took of the hose, this is the hose I was remembering about. Thank you for the confirmation. I can ease my mind now. Now I have to get back to working on my truck.