Array
    Status
    Kingsland Ga.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

92 Ram 50

Hello, i am a new member. I have a Ram 50 that I bought in 1991 with.9 miles on it. It just turned 300,000. It is my daily driver. It is not pretty anymore. I got sandwiched and crunched it pretty good- number 3 in a 6 car pile up, but I drove away. I would like to repair and replace things , but, I am having trouble finding things. I am leaking power steering fluid under the steering rod area. Is putting new seals in the steering gear a doable job? I am not seeing a lot of info on it and the new steering gear looks like it could cost almost $300.00.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yup I have replaced the seals very easy.
    There's minimal information in the manual about it, but it's pretty similar to this one https://youtu.be/661ov4GIXAA

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    As for body parts. The only place I see that you might be able to source those is California or other Southern States.

I know there is nothing around me in Canada or the US.

That is awesome that you held on to it all through the years!!!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Cool

Welcome Greydog,
    1)You do not need to replace/reseal the steering gear ,
    just the sector shaft (aka pitman arm) seal.
    For brevities sake,research pitman arm on this site.
    P.s,
    SKF 12700
    Is the seal # You need.

2) ck the rust free belt , My web searches have yielded many 'hits' on needed body parts...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I think for the time to remove the box, and refilling with fluid, you may as well spend the extra few minutes to do all the seals though. I got my kit quite cheap on rockauto

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for that info claych -- I just visited my local NAPA store, can still order a steering gear parts repair kit... About 30 or more software pieces and approx $40.00

My truck has that leak too & a few others

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    WAIT..? Tortron, what is the skill level needed to do the complete repair & how long does it take a mechanic (I multiply that by 4 to know how long it will take me)

My truck steers ok, why do the entire repair if all it does is stop the leak when one seal fixes the leak..? Obviously I'm a rookie

Better question: Can the leak be fixed without having to remove the steering gear box from the truck..? Just replacing that one seal... If so, that's the way to go for me... I'm pretty lazy (age 70) fix things after they break not before (If it ain't broke, don't break it...) I break about half the things I try to fix...
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-22-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    It took me an evening. Most of the work is in removing the box and arm. Add about 15 mins to strip the box and reassemble.
    There's some seals inside that can be replaced. You could replace just that seal in place, but for.the sake of not laying on the ground with trans fluid dripping on you, it's easier to do it on the bench and fully clean it

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Here's the guts. Those white teflon seals on the shaft can be replaced. Mine were just starting to go hard so was worth it to replace.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    tortron Sir, oh boy, that looks like a lot of parts for a first timer to be messing with..! A big concern for me is dropping parts during disassembly and not knowing [or forgetting] how they fit together before dropping... The sequence of reassembly could challenge my brain for sure... I'm not sure if the Marine Base auto skills center has all the tools (Pitman arm puller, etc...) Did you need any special Mitsubishi tool for this repair..? Do you think only a rebuild kit software will be needed..? I wonder if any surprises hide inside like the need for bearings or..? My truck 128,000 miles on the clock, don't know the maintenance history of the steering box... Well, as usual, I ask too many questions & try to shut the job down by trying to make it a nuclear reactor refueling job...

It would be nice to stop the oil leaks on my truck, so far, I changed the valve cover gasket but see oil on the shaft ends of transfer case & transmission, steering box too... I wonder if the power steering pump leaks too (?) crap..!

Well, I apologize to Graydog if he feels I have hijacked his thread, not my intention... The steering box is next on the list of things to repair...

Do you think my 1986 4X4 steering box is pretty much exactly like the one in your photo..? The rod from the steering wheel, does it come off easily without having to remove that rod or remove the steering wheel..? Besides not turning the steering wheel while the box is being worked & marking the pitman arm position on the sector shaft so it goes back exactly same -- what else needs to be done to ensure the truck drives straight when the steering wheel is centered..? I assume the steering box gears must be turned to center of Left & Right..?

I have a Chrysler Factory Manual 1986 ---> I will eventually open it & do some reading before making a final plan of attack...

Graydog, have you started or completed your steering box rebuild/repair..?

Enuff
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-23-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah those ball bearings scare me a little. Once you get over that brain spasm, there doesn't seem to be that bigger deal about stripping one down and servicing it. I'm considering throwing a later Gen pitman and steering arm onto my rack to ramp the ratios - I'm sure I've seen it as a bolt on mod.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    use thick grease in the holes where the ball bearings go to hold them in place - that way they don't go everywhere. I got lucky and found one rebuilt years ago - its sitting on a shelf ready when I need it.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If the pitman arm (sector shaft) seal is leaking -- is it possible (if one is in there?) the shaft bearing is worn and caused the seal to leak..? Is it common to have worn bearings in the steering gear box..? I'm not sure if the rebuild kit includes any bearings..? I don't even know if the steering gear box has any bearings...

Am thinking of making the inner fender mud flaps (originals busted off & missing) and thinking of having the engine skid plate powder coated silver color (it's starting to get rust)...

geezer's project is way above my skill level

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Graydog View Post
    Hello, i am a new member. I have a Ram 50 that I bought in 1991 with.9 miles on it. It just turned 300,000. It is my daily driver. It is not pretty anymore. I got sandwiched and crunched it pretty good- number 3 in a 6 car pile up, but I drove away. I would like to repair and replace things , but, I am having trouble finding things. I am leaking power steering fluid under the steering rod area. Is putting new seals in the steering gear a doable job? I am not seeing a lot of info on it and the new steering gear looks like it could cost almost $300.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    There's minimal information in the manual about it, but it's pretty similar to this one https://youtu.be/661ov4GIXAA
    Graydog, my truck has the steering gear leak too... Here is more info I gathered so far:

Rebuilt Steering Gear Fits 1986 Power Ram 50 https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...7/10567_0_6207

Replacing Pitman Shaft Seal https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-jessica-howe

CLEAVER #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GamcHl09XI

CLEAVER #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fhycS-r9k

giovanni Snow Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBW2eImYEpA

Redneck Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmZCPDfXSA

Easy Way to Remove OLD Pitman Seal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryb-RcDX1-Q

---------------------------- OPTIONS..?

1) Lifetime Warranty Endurance Brand Rebuilt Box (?) $248.00 @ AUTOZONE free shipping
    2) Be brave like tortron and rebuild the box yourself
    3) Replace only pitman seal (on a work bench)
    4) Replace only pitman seal (on the truck)

---------------------------- QUESTIONS..?

Anyone know of Endurance Brand or Company products..? EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pumORnbzk
    Should we go for the easiest fix 1st (replace pitman arm seal ONLY on the truck)..?
    Should we go for Autozone lifetime warranty fix directly..?

---------------------------- OPINIONS..?

This might still be available OEM should read OMG..!
    https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.c...-gear-mb351201
    Last edited by xboxrox; 07-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kingsland Ga.
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    I don't know if I want to attempt that. He made it look easy and I think he's done a few. Excellent information. Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Graydog View Post
    I don't know if I want to attempt that. He made it look easy and I think he's done a few. Excellent information. Thank you.
    Exactly, tortron has his steering box act together; I might easily break it as much as fix it... I know a guy who might help wrench on it, need to ask him... Something from the top of the box is leaking (not the hoses)... But, today I went to Oreilly's looking for power steering fluid (never saw any) but this caught my eye with a 20% off yellow tag... About half went into the fluid reservoir to bring the level up to the H mark...
    Steering Box Leak Fix.jpgMaybe it will work..?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    It works by softening the seals so they expand a little. Might get a few months out of it, but then it definitely will need new seals.

They are honestly dead easy to rekit. Take photos each time you take a bit off.
    The thing leaking could be the bleed valve

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey tortron thanks..! Yep, the leak is somewhere from the top part where 4 bolts hold on a cover with an adjustment bolt in the center... I read the Chrysler service manual (looked at the pictures), it shows a bleeder bolt or something with a hole in it... How on Earth won't it leak (a vent or bleeder hole thingy)..? Can't even see it unless the box is removed from the truck...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    It's like a brake bleeder valve, you screw it right down and it seals up. You might want to unscrew it totally to be sure there's no dirt stopping it from sealing.

Careful tightening it. I snapped mine clean off with a 1/4" ratchet. So that's whoever has to work on it nexts problem

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Can't thank you enough for sharing your info Sir tortron..!

THANK YOU -- will check that sucker soon as I get a chance

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Greydog,
    Just checking back---
    ???? repaired/installed/functional????
    Thx.

Array
    Status
    Pontiac, Michigan
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I have a 91 Ram 50 that I bought 3 years ago. Pitman arm shaft has started leaking. Previous owner said he had it rebuilt 5 years ago. I removed the pitman arm while under the truck. There was a seal there looking like no seal I have seen before. I removed it and replaced it with SKF 12700.
    There was no snap ring as I saw in the videos. Pitman arm shaft still leaks. Is there more than 1 seal on the pitman arm shaft?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Does anyone know if the steering gear box is the same (interchangeable) for a 1986 4X4 Mighty Max and a Dodge Power Ram 50..?

Mitsubishi 4X4 box is available at many stores but the Dodge is not..? Maybe they are different..? Wonder if the warranty would be void if I put a Mitsu box on my Dodge..?

Last edited by xboxrox; 08-05-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ibbugn -- 1986 Chrysler Service Manual (Steering Gear Components Diagram) Parts #2 #3 #8

Attachment 23054

Credit to Yamahlr
    Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 08-05-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Does anyone know if the steering gear box is the same (interchangeable) for a 1986 4X4 Mighty Max and a Dodge Power Ram 50..?

Mitsubishi 4X4 box is available at many stores but the Dodge is not..? Maybe they are different..? Wonder if the warranty would be void if I put a Mitsu box on my Dodge..?

In answering my own question: Amazon sells an interchangeable steering gear box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2W1Y8J5EFZAEH

These guys don't tout anything interchangeable:
    NAPA, O'Reilly's ziltch for the Dodge but Have for the Mitsu
    Autozone has for the Dodge

I'll assume the Mitsubishi 1st Gen steering gear is same as the Dodge but putting the Mistubishi part in a Dodge truck will VOID the warranty...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast