Array
    Status
    Haysville, KS
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

2nd Time Around In A Mighty Max

My name is Ed and I'm a longtime DSM/Mitsubishi owner.

I've had more than a few Talons, Eclipses and other Mitsubishis to include a 89 Mirage GT Turbo, a few Galant VR-4's, a 3000GT SL and a 91 Mighty Max around 10 years ago. Currently I own a 92 Stealth R/T TT, 93 Eagle Talon TSi/AWD, 94 Plymouth Colt Vista FWD, 06 Mitsubishi Raider V8 and a 15 Hyundai Hybrid I'm looking to get out from under financially.

Yes, I have a problem.

I recently went up to Omaha, NE to trade a 95 Eagle Summit Wagon for a 87 Mighty Max.

This was a vehicle I had picked up as a possible Daily Driver, and wound up finding a cleaner 5 Speed Wagon (The Plymouth Colt). So that meant the Summit just sat in my backyard, collecting leaves. The owner of the Max wanted a Summit Wagon for the room and a potential 4G63 Swap project, so we started talking. I had owned a Mighty Max along with a few other Mini Trucks before and liked the idea of building one up for fun.

A deal was struck and I loaded the Summit up on a tow dolly and headed to Omaha to pick up my new truck.

20190608_185107.jpg

Disconnected the driveshaft for the drive home and got it back to the Wichita area late Saturday night.

20190612_111442.jpg

I've been poking around a bit inside the truck and it's a little rough, but I don't mind. I can work with this.

Just wanted to introduce myself and the truck. I'll be hitting the archives for research and probably have some questions, as this is the first carbed vehicle I've owned in a LONG time.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. No, you do not have a problem - they're all Mitsubishis so that's fine I've owned a 77 Lancer fastback (Plymouth Arrow/Celeste), a couple of Mitsubishi Galant wagons (Dodge Colt, similar vintage), 2 Mitsubishi Colt hatchbacks (Plymouth Colt/Champ? I believe...) and now a Gen 1 L200 Express (not counting a donor truck I bought). Your Max doesn't look like it's been beat on or neglected and you have the bonus of some nice looking mini truck period correct wheels. The carbied trucks really are neanderthal tech but that's what makes them more forgiving to work on. You'll be throwing the Mikuni carb that's on it into orbit if you haven't messed with a carb before (not one for the noobs). That's what a Weber is for - and it does everything better. Standard issue requests for new members - get a thread going, post pics and ask questions.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Haysville, KS
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Hey Geezer, thanks for the response.

The truck isn't that bad of shape, just some surface rust and a little previous owner stuff that needs to be cleaned up. The previous owner gave me pretty much everything he head for the truck so I have front fenders, a tailgate, transmission, rear end and some other stuff. Just need time to sort through it all and start working.

The truck has a Weber car installed already, along with a whistling noise from a leak of some kind. A new set of Carb Adapter Gaskets showed up today, so I'll be tackling that sometime soon. My last Mighty Max was a fuel injected 4G64, so this will be a interesting experience.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome on board, Blu. Good to have another '87 in the mix, there's a few others here, including some interesting builds in progress.
    As far as I know no one has gotten around to uploading the full '87 service manual to the resources section (hundreds and hundreds of pages), but a few of us here have them, so if you need any specific info just ask.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Welcome to the club. I’m a several turbo 3S owner myself. Didn’t care too much about Mighty Max’s until I stumbled across a 1990 3.0L 6g72 powered 4x4 and had to have it for my next project. It’s now powered by a 3.8L MIVEC.

Array
    Status
    Haysville, KS
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    MrPaco and Chargerx3, thanks for the welcome. Chargerx3: Digging the avatar.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Youre welcome. Thanks, its the handyman in me.

Array
    Status
    Central Texas
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    welcome to the boards BluFalconI don't have a whole lot to say myself yet, rather new here and only just scraping the ice bergs of the Mitsubishi world.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the forum - you will find most everything you need to help with your new to you truck, and if you don't see it ask. We love pics on here, condition is unimportant - most of us have started with similar or worse truck. Start a build in the gallery section so we can see your progress.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Haysville, KS
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well. I did something dumb.

The Mighty Max hasn't had a lot done to it since I last posted.

Work, my GF, a new dog and a Stealth in the garage, relegated the Mighty Max to low priority status. It's been sitting in my backyard for the last few months.

So...what do I do instead of working on it?

Pick up a very stock 87 Dodge Power Ram 50 4x4 found on Facebook Marketplace?
    Yeah, I did that.

The Mighty Max is getting sold to a buddy of mine and he wants me to help him work on it, so it's not going far. The Ram has already been diagnosed with a bad head (cracked/bent valves) and I've already got a replacement head swapped on.

I'm going to put a few pics up in the gallery of the Ram when I get a chance.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Well, that's a change in plans. You will post pics right?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Haysville, KS
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    Was out working on it today and made some more progress. Got a ton of pictures on my phone, just need to get them on here or a hosting site.