Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

89 Ram 50 5.3 LS custom frame, 4 Link, Bagged Build

Im still far from done with my project but i thought I would post a few pictures. Its an 89 ram 50 that originally cam with a 2.0 g63b. I built the frame from 4x2 square tubing, using a narrowed ford 8.8 rear end, 4 link suspension, slam specialties bags, 5.3 LS with a 7875 turbo and an AR5 transmission using a fabbot adapter kit

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (100.7 KB, 403 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.4 KB, 352 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.4 KB, 305 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (121.8 KB, 314 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (347.8 KB, 302 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (238.8 KB, 331 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (264.3 KB, 335 views)

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    aaaaaaaaa
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    since you pretty much "making a truck", why the 'alien' mitsu body atop instead of a chevy S10 ?
    good skilz. Looks tough. Should be scary fast

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    since you pretty much "making a truck", why the 'alien' mitsu body atop instead of a chevy S10 ?
    good skilz. Looks tough. Should be scary fast
    The truck has an interesting story behind it. My parents in law got the truck from someone who owed them money for plowing, after they received the truck it sat in their yard untouched for 13 years. They offered the truck to me and of course after loving mini trucks my whole life I took it home with me. I installed a weber carb, new headgasket, plugs, starter, and bunch of other stuff and got the truck running. After driving it for over a year I decided it needed more. The truck had 93hp when it was new, no power steering, no AC, no radio, and it rode terribly rough. The cab and bed where still in great shape but being in NH in salted roads the frame was starting to get tender and the motor was getting tired. So I decided it would be easiest to just start over than try to fix an old frame that might not last. and the LS... thatll solve the 93hp problem

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A+ welding and fab skills - very nice I think the Mitsu cab suits the 'feel' of this build more than the S10 would. Nice wheels too!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    A+ welding and fab skills - very nice I think the Mitsu cab suits the 'feel' of this build more than the S10 would. Nice wheels too!
    Thank you! the wheels are actually off my old subaru, Due to using subaru front hubs, and the ford 8.8 (5x114.3) they bolt right up!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I think the Mitsu cab suits the 'feel' of this build more than the S10 would
    a biiggg negative on that. Those little boxy S10 pickups & 2 door blazers totally ruled the mini world
    From mild to wild. Never seen a mitsu done up, in the same league as the S10 heavy hitters
    Like a natural for the chevy..... that's why I asked. I totally understand his reasoning tho.

LS into everything.... so the Mmax/D50 couldn't duck it. 7875 LS solve the 93hp problem, creating another
    Traction (or lack of it) should be interesting, with the bag suspension layout
    Killer project either way!

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I considered a ton of different engine swaps, I wanted to do something crazy like a duramax diesel, or a 2jz. After looking at the cost of engines and transmissions the LS was just so much cheaper. Complete engine for $500, trans for $300, Standalone ecu and harness for $1000. I tried to avoid it but considering the cost, parts availability, and reliability, it seemed like the best swap for my situation. I know i could have easily done a turbo 4g63 or something similar, but thats been done before
    Last edited by Swansburg; 06-12-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Only alloy LS worth considering imo. Iron block LS too heavy. Duramax weigh as much as the truck
    LS perhaps the most popular swap ever. Probably a few mitsu pickups done already.
    Keep in mind, the vast majority of seasoned car guys, don't post their vehicles on the net.

Hard to look past a 4g63, as it makes too much sense. Most r "bolt-in". Cheap parts, cheap donors.
    relatively lightweight + compact/good fit + ez to work on + incredible potential on stock parts & stock computer
    ...and can still fly the "mitsu" banner

Array
    Status
    Prescott Arizona
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I'll have to follow this thread. My girlfriends dad has done some pretty awesome builds and puts an LS into everything lol. He is absolutely convinced that I need to put a 5.3 in my truck. He is a master with wiring so who knows what will happen. The price point does make it very appealing though. Look forward to more

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Got some more done on the front end. Hoping to have the cab on by next weekend
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Got sick of tigging everything, going to mig together the rest of the front end, just have to build my upper control arms and it will be done
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...I wish I had the resources to pull off half the stuff you guys can do I'd be happy with scraping together enough coin to fit Mustang II front coils in my Gen 1 but air bags would be awesome.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Sometimes you just gotta go for it, I dragged my feet for 2 years wanting to do something cool with my truck. You dont need crazy tools to do something cool. Most of the work on my truck is done with a welder and a grinder/cut off wheel. Sure a plasma cutter and all kinds of other stuff would have helped me out but it's about working with what you have

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I have a 82 putting motor in 87. I want to do something with the 82 once it has no motor. Was thinking of a 4.8 Vortec with twin turbos, I saw a 440 in a 88, even thought a 460 V8. I kind of settled on the idea of the now overused 2JZ engine. It was used in a variety of Toyota cars, most popular in the Toyota Supra. It's like a 3??? Liter I6. They are capable of 600 HP with no mods.

I also want to turbocharge the 87 with a single small turbo and twin carb setup with a new larger head and 'Towing cams'

Array
    Status
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Swansburg, what are you doing for steering?