Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

AC evaporator core install non ac 89

I have an 89 ram 50 2wd truck that im just finishing up building a custom frame and ls swapping. The condenser and and compressor are no problem since i have those from the ls. The only thing im unsure about is installing an evaporator core, and what is involved, has anyone ever done this? I can get the evaporator core for $45 off rockauto thats designed for the truck.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    you will need an evaporator enclosure too for it if you don't already have one along with the two sealing clamps for each end. its easiest to install with the dash removed but it may be possible to install with the dash in place since i have removed an evaporator housing from an 88' without pulling the dash by just removing the glovebox and support and possibly loosening the lower part of the dash so it can flex a bit. the hardest part is holding the ductwork clamps in place while installing the evap box. make sure you get the appropriate parts since they used a few different configurations for the ac systems in these 2nd gen trucks. Im guessing that the LS engines compressor was designed for an orifice tube type ac system since that seems to be what GM uses and these trucks at least from 87-89 use an expansion valve set up so that may need special consideration? but i could be totally wrong. most of the wiring to the evaporator is prewired in the dash you will just need a little jumper harness to connect the ac switch, clutch relay, and internal fin temp sensor (if used). hope this points you in the right direction.

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by StarquestMan View Post
    you will need an evaporator enclosure too for it if you don't already have one along with the two sealing clamps for each end. its easiest to install with the dash removed but it may be possible to install with the dash in place since i have removed an evaporator housing from an 88' without pulling the dash by just removing the glovebox and support and possibly loosening the lower part of the dash so it can flex a bit. the hardest part is holding the ductwork clamps in place while installing the evap box. make sure you get the appropriate parts since they used a few different configurations for the ac systems in these 2nd gen trucks. Im guessing that the LS engines compressor was designed for an orifice tube type ac system since that seems to be what GM uses and these trucks at least from 87-89 use an expansion valve set up so that may need special consideration? but i could be totally wrong. most of the wiring to the evaporator is prewired in the dash you will just need a little jumper harness to connect the ac switch, clutch relay, and internal fin temp sensor (if used). hope this points you in the right direction.
    Thanks! definately does point me in the right direction. now just to find the enclosure..

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    just be aware that there are different housings depending on whether it is a mitsubishi built air conditioner (used in the 87' ram 50 and 87-89 mighty max) or the chrysler made system ( used in the ram 50s from 88-89). they all will work under your dash but the evaporator core needs to match the housing. the mitsubishi system uses an expansion valve mounted in the case along with a thermistor and the chrysler unit uses an H block type expansion valve in the engine bay with the temperature sensor mounted near it also under the hood. i saw that evaporator core on rockauto and it looks like a mitsubishi style core. im guessing (and this is just a guess) that you may want to use a chrysler style evaporator since the threaded ends may be easier for an ac hose builder to make hoses for and you might have the option of using an orifice tube and pressure valve like in a GM style ac system to work with your LS compressor and then you can use more readily available parts and it would be more flexible with what refrigerants you can use. again this is just an educated guess and im curious to see what others think. I know that in my truck im using the mitsubishi system and parts are harder to come by plus the thermistor seems to cut out the compressor before it gets cold enough for me.

Array
    Status
    Center Conway, NH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Good news! I contacted a few people on Ebay parting out ram 50's and was able to buy a complete evaporator and enclosure! Looks to have the style fittings as my big condenser I bought, and the adapter fittings for the GM ac compressor
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    cool. make sure you get the condensate drain hose and grommet for it too so it can drain properly and the dash button, clutch relay, and the harness to connect it all together unless you are doing a custom dash or something.