Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

***Update*** I FOUND HP!!

Since the beginning of April I made the following changes to my truck (2.4 auto, FI SE Standard Cab)

1. New Fuel Filter
    2. 'New' Reman Computer
    3. Exhaust Manifold from a 2.0
    4. Crane S90 Coil
    5. Water Clean of the combustion chamber through a vaccum port

Last years best performance was 20.33 at 64mph (49 hp to the flywheel)

Last Friday I ran 19.22 at 66mph (69 hp to the flywheel)

60 foot dropped from 2.7 to 2.5. 55 mph in the 1/8 so not much pick up on the top end. But at least this year I made it to third gear.

That's quite a gain from those changes!!!

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I had the honor of being the first view

Sounds excellent, kudos!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    An extra 20 horses is quite an improvement. Have you tried experimenting with the ignition tune as well? I'm sure you'll find some more performance that will help throttle response and midrange power. Other thing you can do is modify the intake. Increasing it's length and getting a cold air charge into the engine will build torque. If you can disable and block off the EGR that you mentioned in your other post, that will help smooth out the engine idle and get it to run more efficiently.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I did adjust the timing. I didn't have a light so i just adjusted to the highest vacuum reading without having ping at part throttle.

I do run the stock tube to the air box from the grill for cold air and it's surprising that I found a tenth by removing the air filter from the air box. That just shows how restrictive that air box is.

I tried under shifting and found it slowed a ton... 4800 to 5000 gave the best bang for the buck.

I have the EGR disabled and when I go the 2.0 head I will have ZERO hot air heating the intake as the EGR set up is different on that motor and that heads.

I know on my old Big Block Aspen I found a tenth running with the Exhaust Gas ports blocked on the intake as it could stay cooled.

I have noticed the power on the street as I can drive around at 10 in of vacuum versus the 6 a few months ago before the changes. So I have more power and need less throttle to keep her moving down the road.

Now I would like to see 18's.

I also power braked to 1500 on the line and that helped getting her going down the track.

I really like that 2.0 litre exhaust manifold and I really think some power came from that swap. I just looks like the tubes are a bit smoother.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    https://youtu.be/5TgXPncJFnQ

Its interesting to see the BIG puff of smoke from my pipe when I stand on it...... weird...

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well... with a terrible headwind and bad air, I slowed down at Mopar Day yesterday.

I treed this guy, he ran a tenth slower than his dial but I broke out 19.78 on my 19.82 dial on the brakes... grrr.

It was fun.. but I really need some more power for sure.

https://youtu.be/lfiw0AhkW38

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I wonder what the cause of the big cough of exhaust smoke was. Might be time to think about headers and a better exhaust system. Not cheap but there are gains to be made. Still, it's awesome you are getting it out onto the track and having fun and your truck is doing it's best
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't know if you have seen this thread but if you want to get serious about making power out of the 4G64 -

http://engineswork.com/engines/4g64-engine.html

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The other thing I was considering was have the stock cam reground. Since it is out and i have head work to do ... this could be an option for more lift and duration. Also since I found the "lift" was different due to wear.. it might be nice to have it all trued up.

There aren't any other option for cams for this engine that I can find other than Melling regrinds.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    edit.
    Last edited by claych; 06-18-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    seen deltacams.com regrinds actually perform decent in a few motors. ALOT of crappy regrinds out there.
    Quality control makes the difference
    With an 'effective' cam, u may still need matched valvesprings + tweak ignition curve + rejet carb. Fun stuff ...in 2019?
    Most likely you'll still wind up disappointed

Turbo on a stock 2.4 can be tuned electronically. Gradually upgrade. Bump up the auto tranny.
    Lotsa austarion members run proven regrinds + transfer 2.0 mechanical valvetrain over to the 2.4 cyl head
    Then u should b able to go payback those racers that bullied u at the dragstrip

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Turbo is certainly the way to go these days. And really, you can make it look quite stock.

The issues is finding parts around here.. it's awful.. it seems they crush the DSM cars right away..

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    edit.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    a 2.0 starion turbo exhaust manifold that is.... assuming you can't or don't wanna build one

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    u don't need any DSM parts to turbocharge a stock 2.4 sohc
    you're on the net. What can't you find/get ?

starquestclub members still occasionally get oem 2.6 Magna mpi intakes sent by austarion members
    aussie can send u a 2.0 manifold... or maybe piggyback with a magna intake to the u.s. (if it'll reduce shipping costs drasticly)
    then have the starquestclub member ship u the 2.0 manifold + a u.s. starion turbo & downpipe
    get a starquestclub megasquirt (with a close enough map loaded?).... or your sniper/FItech

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I could certainly make up a manifold. Easy enough to make a flange and buy a bend kit.

I guess it comes down to playing with stock computers, or aftermarket.

For now I will just clean up the 2.0 head and swap it on the 2.4. In the summer I drive it to work 3 to 4 times a week as it's just a neat truck to drive.

It just seems to have to work so hard to move down the road in it's current form.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    WOW.. not only did I find HP I found some mileage. Including my 3 passes at the track and driving all week to work, this last take averaged around 23 MPG.... !!! The is a HUGE increase from the 15 I was getting last year before all the changes and issues.

I'll take that!! I do drive it like an old lady when I'm not at the track and watch the vacuum gauge to try and keep the number as high as possible when driving down the road.

I hope this next head gives me the same results.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Results!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    big mileage increase is always a welcomed bonus, particularly with the mild power jump. Truck approves of your tinkering
    Sounds like it's running decent enough. Why the head swap? Will the compression increase offset decreased flow ? hmmm.

If going the turbo route, I'd mock up the system on the spare 2.0 motor (just allow for 2.4 taller deck). Less downtime
    Good thing about megasqt is it can come with a loaded turbo map to get u up n running quickly.
    Go 4 new sensors if u like, replacing 30 year old oem stuff

Truck won't struggle to get out of its way then. Performance is of another realm.... especially with a tweaked auto tyranny
    To give u an idea: A stock cam 2.6 sohc starion lites up an old 60-1 effortlessly. Rips in the 15-22psi range
    Some street starions (~3000 pounds) still in the 30s mpg at~375whp, & 1/4 mile ET in the 12s
    ...and those are 5speed cars. Autos r quicker, truck is lighter. Not bad for an old sohc donk. Makes the effort worth it imo
    Not tryin to sell u on boost, but put a perspective on performance potential

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The reason for the head swap is it needs valve seals, the head has 260 000 km on it and probably could use a valve job. The vacuum readings are great at idle (17 in) but barely at 10 in driving down the road. I had this head for free so I figured a fresh set of springs, a valve job and some cleaning up the ports and a combustion chamber polish s well as a truing up on the mill will just give me another good 100K at least of trouble free driving.

It would be easier to just do a weekend swap, then have the truck out of commission waiting for the original head to get remanned.

The smaller combustion chamber of the 2.0 l head MIGHT help a bit in performance

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I wonder what the cause of the big cough of exhaust smoke was
    I'm wondering if it could be gummed up oil control piston rings, or PCV letting oil into the intake
    My fwd corolla failed PCV system caused oil consumption and wierd intermittent puff of smoke.
    Fixed that, and the high mileage worn motor ran puuurrrfect after

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. Oil flush and clean out of the PCV with carb/brake cleaner might remedy that. I have long had a theory that an oil flush may even help with compression by freeing up the rings and possibly reducing drag. Can't confirm it though...
    Last edited by geezer101; 06-21-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: bad grammar...

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I did not that oil pressure drop RIGHT off at idle in gear when warm. I'm thinking of adding a mechanical gauge to verify how low. Thought of maybe going to 20W50 instead of 10W30 on the next oil change.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    That could certainly be something I could try.

I went down to the track last night and the truck was like a bracket car. 19.51, 19.50, 19.49..... then the air got really good and 19.40 at the very end of the night.

Lights were good.. 012, 039, 060.. then I spun and had a 150 ... Its been 23 years since I won a track championship in Drag racing and at least i can still cut a light.

I started an instagram account if anyone is on that platform and added some videos from last night to my youtube channel.

Instagram: 1991ramfiddy
    Youtube: JustJ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast