Thread: ***Update*** I FOUND HP!!

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    One question and I'm not sure if anyone would know.

When we go full throttle does the system go into Open Loop or stay in Closed Loop?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Can1991Ram
    One question and I'm not sure if anyone would know.
    When we go full throttle does the system go into Open Loop or stay in Closed Loop?
    ?????
    Last edited by claych; 10-02-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think the OBD goes open loop in a desperate attempt to not destroy itself (the open loop keeps reading the input from the O2 sensor so it doesn't run lean injector cycles under WOT) To be honest, I'm not a ECU guy and am sort of biased as I hate diagnosing sensor faults (some are actually dead easy to spot once know what to look for)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I thought Open Loop does not read the O2 and goes into a pre-programmed rich setting.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Like I said, ECU isn't my thing. I did a quick bit of research and what I dug up was - closed loop on part throttle to maintain fuel economy, open loop on WOT to avoid lean cycles.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ??????
    Last edited by claych; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well... fall is almost here and I don't have a Garage so I might rent a shipping container to work in through the winter. It's not like the truck is that large.

The question.... mount the turbo under the bed... or in the clutttered engine bay?

Since the gas tank isn't there.. I thought about the turbo AND the intercooler under the bed.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm not super sold on remote mounted turbos (mostly the oil feed, extra pipework and possible undercarriage damage) but because this is going on a truck there are places where it could potentially be mounted up out of the way. You could add a fan to the intercooler as it isn't going to get direct air flow. If this was going to be an all out track performer I'd set it up like a stadium truck and put both the intercooler and radiator in the bed with big ass cooling fans on them.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ???????
    Last edited by claych; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    cluttered engine bay.... with that puny lil sohc 4cyl ? ...you're kiddin right ?
    n where did your gas tank go ?

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    tank.jpg
    The tank is mounted under the bed at the back. I centered it so that I could run dual pipes if I decided the V8 the truck

key.jpg
    You fill the truck through a surface mounted boat filler neck with a lock.

Yes..... there is lots of room... but turbos can create a lot of heat.

I agree with the plumbing issues. I think I would run a separate oil pump through a tranny cooler into the small tank to oil the turbo if I did it remotely and your correct that I would need a small fan if I put the intercooler with the turbo.

Many say that the long pipe from the turbo back to the engine works like and intercooler and cools the charge on the way back to the engine.

I'm only gonna run 8 psi max anyways... I don't need melted pistons.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    tank2.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    This was the tank I pulled out. They don't make a replacement tank for this truck and there are none in the wrecking yards around here.

So I bought a plastic tank from a boat for $25 and that this what I installed.. I just had to add a boat gas gauge in the truck to read the gas level.

The pump was $200, the metal was about a hundred and about 40 hours of fabbing and fixing MANY holes in the frame rail and I was on the road. So far I have about 20,000 KM on the new tank and repair with no issues

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That is a really good tank retrofit. It looks like it's a bigger capacity tank too. $25? - that is a freaking bargain!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Cool gas tank solution. In-bed filler location could be a nuisance when loading stuff, I'd imagine

remote turbo is another waste of time & resources. Again, making 'simple' stuff unecessarily complicated
    Turbo underhood temperature increase barely noticeable with oem or any good heatshielding or wrap
    If heat becomes "excessive", u got other issues. Countless starions(& turbo cars) worldwide.... no 'heat' issues

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Things to think about - air intake filtration, weight of the turbo hanging back there, managing to seal the whole exhaust system under boost, it's going to spool slower trying to pressurise the whole system. But with some lateral thinking, you could make it stealth and pretty compact. If you used a fwd manifold and have the throttle body facing the firewall, all you'd need to do is add an elbow to it and yeet it straight down. Hard part is figuring how to get the plumbing past the steering box and linkages (time for a rack and pinion steering set up )

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Geezer... that is the hardest part. The air box is the other consideration. IT IS HUGE.

Also... I see that many fight over blow through the MAF or suck through the MAF to the turbo.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I would love to go rack and pinion.

I bought the tank at a flea market. I did have to add a fuel return line. The pump I added runs at 57 psi and I can hear the return dumping into the tank so the factory return system works great at the higher pressure. I just don't know if it will flow enough fuel when I add the turbo. At 8psi I really can't see it using much more fuel that full throttle open loop.

I will need to add a fuel pressure gauge on the hood to monitor the fuel pressure drop.

I do have a friend that is a machinist that has offered to help me make a thick flange to build a customer exhaust manifold. If laser cutting wasn't so expensive I would buzz out a few to sell to the group.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234