Hi There.
This is my first post.thought I'd cut to the chase.
I was a member of the old forums.
I have a bone stock 89 ram 50 sport 2600 g54b 4x4.
I only use it for hunting and fishing.
It had a rebuilt short block and new carb installed before I got it.
I suspect the mechanic used the old head bolts. Bout every 6 months I have to put a block sealer in to stop blow back in ther cooling system.
Here is the problem I have a new boat 16' 30hp. The boat motot and trailer is just a little too much for the 4 banger. The engine runs perfect If there is no head wind I can get 50-60mph.
If there is say a 15mph head wind it will only get 45-50 mph and will over heat after about 15 miles. This time of year I may have to stop a few minutes to let it cool.
I simply need more engine. A healthy v6 or straight six would be great. The head has jet valves and is total junk. A new head, headers and carb should completely solve the problem. I would only consider a bigger engine if it would bolt right in to the motor mounts and trans with no problems. Alturnatevly my neighbor has a Bronco with a 351 and big tires.
It doesn't get gas milage. There are a lot of things I like about my ram50. I have 2,(one for parts). they are paid for. 2 sets of wheels and tires. and a camper shell to keep my hunting and fishing gear out of the weather.
What is the sensible way to go?
Thanks for the support.