Might be a sticky linkage or cable

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^what I was thinking too. A blast of WD40 is worth a try.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Worth a try but the high idle wasn't as bad as it was before the larger spacer. Previously it was very aggressive like I was standing on the gas. Now it was just mild though I expect if it was hotter out it would have been higher. It does not do this when its cold out.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's got to be something simple. What's the throttle return spring like? I mean, it'll be new due to you swapping the carb over but is there room to increase tension on it? The heat soak may be making the spring expand which in turn may affect how hard it can pull the throttle back to a fully closed position.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    IDK how to adjust the return spring. I have a spring I hook up to it occasionally but I would really like to get away from that. It is very strong and still does not reliably pull the thing closed. I'm beat now but I think I need to find diagrams of how to set and adjust the linkage. I suppose there might be a vacuum leak somewhere but there is only the hose from the carb to the distributor.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Do you have a place like Harbour Freight near you? You can normally get a kit that has a ton of different springs in it and you can try different ones.

It is starting to sound like a vacuum leak. The are videos on youtube to find vacuum leaks using WD40 and some use a propane torch for plumbing.

Basically the leak will pull the combustible in and raise the revs and then you know you found it.

While your at harbour freight, you can also get a length of vacuum hose. If you do find the leak, it won't hurt to start replacing the lines one at a time. They gave hard and cracked and you can even see the crack.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I idled it for a few minutes last evening and sprayed ether around under the air cleaner and around in places I thought might be leaking with no effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12