Thread: New guy from North Idaho here

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I had to take the flywheel in for a resurface. It was only 50 bucks and the guy that did said it looks like the original one and that he didn't have to take hardly any off. I got the tranny cleaned off today and figure the mess was caused by the valve cover gasket or the half circle rubber gaskets things. It'll take a while to get a new set but that's to be expected. I have to do the rear seal of the trans and might as well do the rear main while I'm in there.IMG_20190523_184243524.jpgIMG_20190523_185029842.jpg

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I might take a wire wheel to it because it's driving me crazy the way it's looking. LoL

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
    I might take a wire wheel to it because it's driving me crazy the way it's looking. LoL
    That's a slippery slope to walk onto lol. Be warned a wire wheel might be too aggressive and burnish the alloy. The worst stuff to get off is the 3,000 year old road grime. It is really stubborn and actually needs mechanical means to remove it. I went a little nuts on one 5 speed and sort of polished it (like anyone was ever going to see it...) Maybe a non metallic scourer pad and non caustic BBQ/oven cleaner.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    That's a slippery slope to walk onto lol. Be warned a wire wheel might be too aggressive and burnish the alloy. The worst stuff to get off is the 3,000 year old road grime. It is really stubborn and actually needs mechanical means to remove it. I went a little nuts on one 5 speed and sort of polished it (like anyone was ever going to see it...) Maybe a non metallic scourer pad and non caustic BBQ/oven cleaner.
    I tried oven cleaner three different times. It helped with the old oil but as you can see in the pics the back half is really pitted. I dont need to polish it and probably should just leave it alone but I feel compelled to waste a couple hours cleaning up a part that will never been seen. lol

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    Humble apologies (Bows at Waist),
    The oven cleaner cleaned & discolored the front of the case & left the tail housing untouched ????

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    ^^^
    Humble apologies (Bows at Waist),
    The oven cleaner cleaned & discolored the front of the case & left the tail housing untouched ????
    The oven cleaner and pressure washer cleaned the front. The back half is really pitted and rough. It looks like its dirty but it's just really rough and pitted. In a way the oil mess protected the front half. Ill try to get a close up of the rear half to show how rough it is. It feels about 80 grit. lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The amount of dirt and grime that makes it's way under the truck is going to find places you wouldn't normally clean. A couple of drives on a beach, road salt etc and then have it stuck there for years on it will bite into the alloy no problemo. The die cast is going to oxidise either way from age so your guess that oil leaking over the gearbox has preserved the metal somewhat is fair call.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    The amount of dirt and grime that makes it's way under the truck is going to find places you wouldn't normally clean. A couple of drives on a beach, road salt etc and then have it stuck there for years on it will bite into the alloy no problemo. The die cast is going to oxidise either way from age so your guess that oil leaking over the gearbox has preserved the metal somewhat is fair call.
    This truck has spent its whole life on a college campus here in Idaho so I'm not sure where it would pick up so much corrosion. We don't use salt on the roads and not a lot of beaches in Moscow Idaho. lol Probably just 40 years of use. I lost my motivation due to an infection after a root canal last week but I'll get back on it today.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Anyone know the torque specs for the flywheel bolts? It would be easier to get the nuclear launch codes than it is to find the specs.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    donthekawguy --- THANKS to member YAMAHLR who sent me his 1986 Factory Service Manual for free (I still owe him something in return for that )

(You can try using WD-40 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the road grime off the aluminum)

HERE are the Flywheel Torque Specs
    Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 05-29-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Stuff like that gearbox could get vapor blasted. will come up like new

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The truck aside - hope you are feeling better. Root canal AND and ear infection. Yeesh...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    L200 Express 156.jpg

...what happens when you get carried away and I didn't keep this gearbox either - I sold it to a guy for his project (insert one of many regrets for not hoarding rarer parts )

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    donthekawguy --- THANKS to member YAMAHLR who sent me his 1986 Factory Service Manual for free (I still owe him something in return for that )

(You can try using WD-40 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the road grime off the aluminum)

HERE are the Flywheel Torque Specs
    Sweet! Thanks man! I plan on just hitting it real quick with a wire wheel in my drill. I don't want to put too much work into it. lol

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    The truck aside - hope you are feeling better. Root canal AND and ear infection. Yeesh...
    The root canal got infected, I got a cold and went to the ER on Saturday because I got Bells Palsy. All in one week! Kind of a rough ride. I'm starting to feel better but the Palsy is going to be around for a few weeks. Sucks not having any control of the left side of my face, but it was nothing to write home about anyway. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12