Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

New guy from North Idaho here

I just picked up a 1980 D50 that was used at the University of Idaho since new. It has 102k on it and it probably has had a rough life. lol I'm picking it up this Friday and will have to trailer it back. It runs like a top but the clutch is slipping. I'll post pics when I get it home.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Very cool! My experience working on some other folks vehicles owned by municipalities, might be similar for a big institution like yours. They led a hard life, but repairs were usually made when needed with good quality parts. Often OEM. Hopefully with a little tlc you'll have a nice solid truck! Welcome to the board.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Guaranteed your truck has done a gazillion short runs and had only seen a vacuum cleaner in the first month of ownership. That being said, it would've been serviced regularly and considering it's low mileage should be for the most part mechanically rock solid. Expect that the suspension and steering will need overhauling. As with all noobs - get a thread up and going, post pics ask questions
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    About 30 years ago I was in a grocery store in the middle of the night and read an article in Hot Rod or Mopar magazine about swapping a 360 into one of these. At the time I had a 72 Vega with a 327 in it so I was into V8 swaps. The article claimed the swap was easy. Not sure why that stuck with me all these years, but now I have a new shop, the tools and a big son I'll have to think about doing that swap.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    We have a member doing the 360 swap and they are doing a freaking great job of it too
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Think I saw that truck being auctioned online at Public Surplus or Gov Deals... (?) Congrats Sir...

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Think I saw that truck being auctioned online at Public Surplus or Gov Deals... (?) Congrats Sir...
    Yeah it was at the University of Idaho. I got out bid by 10 bucks but the guy didn't pay so they offered it to me for my $550 bid. I'm going down in the morning to pick it up. I have to trailer it back with my 78 F250 that gets about 6 miles a gallon, has no radio and no AC. Good thing its only an hour and a half away. lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You'll be able to use the Dodge to tow the F250 on the way back

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I love my little dodge, but nothing beats big block power. I've got a 68 f250 pulled apart. If you're getting 6 to the gallon, I'm going to guess 460/c6?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here is the auction page of your truck https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2270851

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Good looking little truck.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    I love my little dodge, but nothing beats big block power. I've got a 68 f250 pulled apart. If you're getting 6 to the gallon, I'm going to guess 460/c6?
    Yeah it has a 460 swap. I actually figured out mileage I got on the trip and I averaged 8.9. Thats towing a dolly 90 miles empty and another 60 back towing the D50 until I needed to gas up. Not too bad.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok got the truck in the shop and the clutch kit arrived today. Any surprises waiting for me or is it pretty straight forward? I'm probably going to need the flywheel turned but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'll have to wait until the afternoon to get to it (root canal and need some new jack stands). I'll take some pics and I'm sure I'll need some pointers. Can't believe I'm 52 and never replaced a clutch before. I guess I have been lucky and never had one needing replaced. lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you are only having to contend with a 2WD gearbox, you are going to be o.k. Have axle stands, a couple of jacks, some blocks of wood and something to lie on when you yeet the gearbox out. Take a look at the centre pinion carrier while you're under there removing the tail shaft. If the rubber has perished on it, there's no point to putting all back together until you replace it. If you don't see any major scoring or marks on the flywheel, get a sanding block with some coarse sand paper and dress the face of the flywheel just enough to de-glaze it. Otherwise you're going to need to lock the flywheel up and get the bolts out with a rattle gun and impact socket (not fun especially for a noob) Have fresh GL-4 gearbox oil as well. It'll be ancient and overdue for a drain and change. Don't use GL-5 as it can attack the synchros (the debate rages on about what gearbox oils to use but the manufacturer's recommendations are the safest bet)

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This might not be the ideal place for this but...

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you are only having to contend with a 2WD gearbox, you are going to be o.k. Have axle stands, a couple of jacks, some blocks of wood and something to lie on when you yeet the gearbox out. Take a look at the centre pinion carrier while you're under there removing the tail shaft. If the rubber has perished on it, there's no point to putting all back together until you replace it. If you don't see any major scoring or marks on the flywheel, get a sanding block with some coarse sand paper and dress the face of the flywheel just enough to de-glaze it. Otherwise you're going to need to lock the flywheel up and get the bolts out with a rattle gun and impact socket (not fun especially for a noob) Have fresh GL-4 gearbox oil as well. It'll be ancient and overdue for a drain and change. Don't use GL-5 as it can attack the synchros (the debate rages on about what gearbox oils to use but the manufacturer's recommendations are the safest bet)
    Thanks for the tips! I'll be starting on it in a few hours as soon as I get done with the root canal. Working on it should take my mind off the pain. Lol

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Here is a pic of when I picked it up. Pretty solid little truck. All except that ding in the lower section of the bed and a smallish rust hole in the floor. I have a replacement panel coming for that. A girl at work is in love with it so I might sell it to her and make a few bucks. I bought a few too many cars last week so I need to clear some out. LolIMG_20190510_111941764_HDR.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sweet..! Maybe the original paint will buff out; that would be awesome... Looks Cool..!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ..apologies.. 'board latency'. reply moved to correct thread.
    Last edited by claych; 05-18-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Sweet..! Maybe the original paint will buff out; that would be awesome... Looks Cool..!
    https://youtu.be/SVYxAcEvyUc

https://youtu.be/fjyBrpZrhNc

Paint turned out pretty good. Still need to wax it.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Black mirrors & matching black bumpers NEAT You Tube vids

I hope you might try saving any original stuff / like the door panel coverings, headliner, etc...

The D50 is super rare, luv it

edit edit ---> YES the paint came out great; you know a few things many of us don't

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Old school acrylic paint is great as far as retaining shine. It was death to spray due to the added carcinogenics but that is the trade off. If you want your tyres to be show finish glossy, spray them with oven/BBQ cleaner (the stuff without the LYE in it), brush it in and then pressure clean/rinse them before applying tyre shine. It takes all the road grime off the tyres and freshens them up. The oven/BBQ cleaner is awesome for engine cleaning too. It should help with the transmission but for some reason it doesn't do a great job of removing the gunk from inside bellhousings

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Black mirrors & matching black bumpers NEAT You Tube vids

I hope you might try saving any original stuff / like the door panel coverings, headliner, etc...

The D50 is super rare, luv it

edit edit ---> YES the paint came out great; you know a few things many of us don't
    I plan on keeping the headliner and door cards. I just need to figure out how to save them. The material is in good shap so it shouldn't be too hard.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Old school acrylic paint is great as far as retaining shine. It was death to spray due to the added carcinogenics but that is the trade off. If you want your tyres to be show finish glossy, spray them with oven/BBQ cleaner (the stuff without the LYE in it), brush it in and then pressure clean/rinse them before applying tyre shine. It takes all the road grime off the tyres and freshens them up. The oven/BBQ cleaner is awesome for engine cleaning too. It should help with the transmission but for some reason it doesn't do a great job of removing the gunk from inside bellhousings
    I wish I would have taken better pics of the valve cover before I cleaned it. I pressure washed it pretty hard and it wouldn't come clan. My soon took it off and sprayed it with oven cleaner and scrubbed it. Now it's real clean and will look good. I have probably 10 cans of the dollar store stuff and it works great. I sent a text to my son about doing the trans last night so I see we are on the same page. It looks like all the leaking is from the valve cover gasket and the half circle rubber deals on the head. I have ordred new ones.

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Here's a better pic of how bad the paint was when I started. I washed it, rubbed it hard with a dry clothes then buffed it with a rubbing compound. When I get it all bad together I'll wash it again and hit it with a wax and that should do it.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast