Status
    Houston TX
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

LED Headlights burned charging circuit

Good morning Mighty people,
    I have a problem I created by upgrading my Headlights. I got a pair of turbo SII nice lights to pair a new set of LED fog lights I installed prior. When I turned the lights on dash lights dimmed until I started driving when they when back to normal. After that it stranded me the following day with a dead battery. I got out and checked both alternator and battery and both checked ok. Checked all the fuses and they are all ok. I honestly don’t know what to do next???🥴

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would start by checking the current draw of the new headlights with an ammeter. I would think the headlight wires would melt before the alternator wire if they were the culprit. a 120 watt bulb should draw 10 amps. Not sure what the wattage of your led's are, but if we assume 55 watts, that should be about 5 amps a headlight.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The LED's "shouldn't" roast the alternator but there may be any number of reasons for the failure. Check all of your ground leads - they are responsible for all kinds of gremlins when they get fouled up. Check the main battery lead for signs of corrosion. Also take a look at your alternator. Always a chance someone swapped it for a low amp unit or there is actually something wrong with it like a cooked diode. It might be time to beef up your charging system with a higher output alternator anyway...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function