Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Corner lights questions

From what I can tell from all the pictures online, the '87 Power Ram 50 came with orange corner lights, like this guy here (from the sales brochure):
    ram-50-87.jpg

My truck had some front end work done by the PO, and I think he replaced the original orange corner lights with clear/orange corner lights, as you can see here:
    IMG_7924.jpg

Question 1: are the clear/orange lights from another mitsubishi model? or a different year? All the pictures I've seen of gen 2 Ram 50/MM have the orange corner lights, haven't seen any other trucks with the clear/orange lights

Question 2: it seems like the clear/orange lights have room for 2 bulbs, as far as I can tell from the ad below. I know one bulb is the daytime running light, but what is the second one for? Is it for an additional blinker light?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...H/112725172746

Question 3: I'm thinking about getting a set of the stock orange ones. What do you all think about this clear/orange light? Should I keep them, or switch back to the stock orange light? And if I keep them, can I get the second light function (blinker?) working?

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MrPaco; 02-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The clear/orange combo lights are for a different region. They're not DRL's, but parking lights. Other regions have the combo assemblies in the front bumper where the indicators are. They're sort of unique for where you are and if they're rigged up and working properly, why not keep them? If they have both light bayonets in them you should be able to get it working (is there a 3 wire plug in the wiring harness going to those light assemblies or in the front corners of the truck?)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The clear/orange combo lights are for a different region. They're not DRL's, but parking lights. Other regions have the combo assemblies in the front bumper where the indicators are. They're sort of unique for where you are and if they're rigged up and working properly, why not keep them? If they have both light bayonets in them you should be able to get it working (is there a 3 wire plug in the wiring harness going to those light assemblies or in the front corners of the truck?)
    The parking lights (clear part) are working, the orange part is empty, looks like this:
    IMG_7954.jpg
    There are no other cables in the vicinity. Since the original lights were the orange, with the single bulb, I imagine I would have to wire it myself if I wanted both lights.
    Is the second light meant to be an additional blinker? If that's the case, would splicing the blinker cable below to add a socket and bulb for this light assembly work?

And you're right, there's no good reason to replace them. I was just curious, and though that it might look better to have the stock lights on it. But unique is also good...

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have the solid oranges on my d50 and the clears on my mighty max. I like the clears better than the solids but to each their own. Different trucks will look better with different sets but it will look good either way.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by t97 View Post
    I have the solid oranges on my d50 and the clears on my mighty max. I like the clears better than the solids but to each their own. Different trucks will look better with different sets but it will look good either way.
    On the MM, do you have two bulbs inside the lights?

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaco View Post
    On the MM, do you have two bulbs inside the lights?
    No i do not but my lights are the same as yours and have the provisions for the second set. I do wish i could some how work out those being blinkers so i could shave my bumpers turn signals.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by t97 View Post
    No i do not but my lights are the same as yours and have the provisions for the second set. I do wish i could some how work out those being blinkers so i could shave my bumpers turn signals.
    Can't you just relocate the blinker bulb (with its trailing wires) up to the corner light assembly?

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You could im sure but i think the plugs are different for the blinkers and the corner lamps. I could make something work but really it would be more work than i care to do for something so small.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Cut a Stanley T10 globe socket from another car and run a wire from the parking light circuits to the clear chambers and relocate the existing ones back to the amber/orange chambers. Those corner markers are from the UK/AU market trucks.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function