Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

turboing the 2.4L

Just curious on your guys thoughts. Here is the idea.

1st - Upgrade the stock head on the 2.4L to the newer style 4g64 head on the 98-2000 montero along with the cooling equipment (thermo housing, tubing, etc). This gives me the SOHC 16v and an exhaust manifold bolt pattern that I can bolt a 4g63T mani to without modification.

2nd - turbo mani and turbo from a 2G something a little bigger like a 20G. Turbo spun around so it faces forward and of course all appropriate plumbing.

Here is the trick... I only want to run about 6 to 7 PSI, Maybe 8 MAX... I am wondering if running a turbo on this without an intercooler would be safe to do. I do some off roading so I dont want the added hassle of figuring out where to put it where to put one without interfering with other things or being in a location where it could be smacked with a rock.

Mike.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5198-2-4L-sohc-turbo-potential

how hard or ez is the sohc 16V conversion, and what will the compression ratio be with the truck pistons ? 16V intake ?
    Sounds like faaarrrrrr more work than fitting an intercooler & piping.
    Maybe a basic water/meth injection, activated at 5psi or something ?
    Turbo stock 8 valve 2.4 more than capable. Aussie 2.0 starion manifold bolts on + any starion turbo & downpipe.
    Turbolab can upgrade the stock 12A to right on up to a 550+hp 25G/td06 beast
    No mention of most critical aspect. Tuning. You'll die without it
    I plan to run starquest board member megasquirt on my stock truck 2.4 turbo
    For your 'mild' target, stock DSM electronics can easily manage that

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I dont know how hard or easy the 16v head swap will be or if it is even possible. From the looking I have done, the 16v head looks like it might be an evo style head. If that is the case it might be easier for me to swap the whole engine. But from what I can remember there was a member on DSMtuners that put an EVO head on a DSM block.

The main reasons for the 16v swap is that it a turbo manifold from a DSM should bolt right on. If I could get my hands on the starion 2.0 manifold I wouldn't mind turboing the engine I currently have in the truck. Also the newer monty intake/throttle body has a IAC motor similar to the Eclipse/galant so wiring the ECU would be much easier.

My thought on this was with the right size turbo I shouldn't need an intercooler as long as it is well enough in its efficiency that it isn't compressing the air enough to make it hot. That's why I was thinking something in the 20G range/size.

As for tuning. Yes Stock DSM or even slightly newer Eclipse/galant ECU should be more than enough to handle 7PSI.

Part of the goal in this project (if it even happens) is to keep cost to a minimum but also keep parts easily available. I figured monty head and other parts about $300 from the JY rebuilt turbo and DSM mani about another $300 and ECU/wiring about $75. I already have everything i need to be able to tune a flashable ECU. With the exception of plumbing the intake and exhaust that should put me right about where I want to be for a little under $1000.

Fitting a used starion 2.0L manifold would cut cost even more but they aren't readily available here in the U.S. The other option is swapping the engine/trans out of a monty or even a mighty max if I can find one. But doing that requires a lot of other work to include beefing up the suspension with the V6 parts as well, but at that point why not just sell the 4Cyl truck and buy a v6 one...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    any 16V route sounds like a hot mess, and if pistons.... there goes your 'budget'.

No earlier starions ran an intercooler, 2.0 & 2.6 with tiny turbos. 20G don't work so well on 2.4s
    staz 2.0 exhaust manifold doesn't have to be "readily available". Just get one
    lotsa starions run Magna MPI intakes on their u.s. 2.6, all shipped from down under by Austarion members
    some austarion members here and on starquest forums. Dunno what the big deal is.

LSR Mike detailed on his page how he converted his 2.4 truck to run on DSM electronics.... basicly adding a wire or two iirc
    Then need DSM coil pack, ignitor, etc.