Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Hello from White River Valley area, Arkansas

Hi to all. Boy, there's people here from all over the Earth.

Wanted to stop in and say thanks to this forum for some good information on our type of vehicle. Much appreciated.
    We have a '90 Mighty Max 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive truck that we bought in Utah. We had just moved there an our '77 Chevy Luv pickup wasn't handling the winter driving too well, so we bought the Mighty Max after trying out the Montero. At the time we also tried a Toyota 4 Runner, which I always thought looked cool, but when I got in one, it felt too high and too narrow, especially for going around curves, and felt like it would tip over. I think the Mighty Max was cheaper, too, another plus.
    This truck has gone through the usual maintenance: new tires, alternator, timing belt, front end idler arm, ignition switch, clutch cylinder, batteries, spark plugs and plug wires, air filters, wiper blades, radiator hose, distributor cap and rotor, water pump, idle air control valve, oxygen sensor, Denso reman. starter, (just flipping through the thick folder for the truck) front brake pads, windwhield washer pump, and all except the front end idler arm job wa done by my husband who is a handyman/engineer. Then, two years ago bought new rear tires for it as it started shaking badly at speeds of 35 mph. That wasn't the problem nor was it a balance prob., and turned out to be the drum brakes were sticking, so my husband did a rear brake job on it and the shaking went away. That one stumped us for quite a many months.

Oh year, and the infamous ECM failure back in 2011 as I was headed to town. It was a pretty day, so I walked back home. Most of the oil and oil filter changes have been done by me, something of my tomboy self showing due to growing up with so many brothers. The truck may not look pretty as it once did, as the white paint is chalking and it needs a tune up, otherwise it still drives like a 4 wheel drive truck and it's been very reliable. It still needs some things done, but our budget has been tight. The windshield was hit by a rock in '97 and is cracked horizontally, still. Needs new gas prop cyllinders for the Lear topper, the plastic backside of the rear view mirror is deteriorating, and yes, a tune up and all round rubber hose replacements.

In the past five years we have seen one other Mighty Max in the smallish town where we live, and have seen plenty of them on shows made in Australia and New Zealand for some reason. People still comment on how it looks (clean) as modern trucks are thick and rounded, but ours is chiselled and lean, and we haven't abused it.

Good to meet everyone here.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice truck & welcome here; I am still kinda new here too...

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Thanks for the warm welcome, xboxrox! Hi back at you.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. It's interesting about your observations of how the Max compares to other mini trucks. They drive nicer and are better behaved on the road but it's when you get it on the dirt you'll notice the difference. Mitsubishi knew how to build a 4x4 and they are tough as nails. Your truck looks tidy - a tub of wax and some elbow grease will get it gleaming again (if you ever get time like most of us). Thanks for sharing!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Thanks for the tip, geezer101. I do need to wax the truck as there's no excuse for not doing so as I've got the time.

I have to add that this truck is also great for traveling in as you get a great view of the scenery being up higher than some cars and no windows that I call "slitty" that are narrow and deep that give you no good expansive views. Compared to our 4 cylinder stick '08 Ford Ranger, this truck is tops. We also have a teeny Honda Fit and that replaced our '86 Toyota MR2 that we sold recently to someone who plans on restoring it, both cars have good gas mileage.
    Good talking with you.