Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1984 Dodge Ram 50. New owner, one old diesel.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Yeah, he sells them as complete engines. When mine came in I replaced some gaskets while it was out and swapped some parts over to make the swap easier, but it was pretty much everything needed to drop it in and go. Mine even came with the AC compressor, even though I don't have it set up on mine.

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Got the engine pulled. Disassembling it fully now. Think i'm going to upgrade to the 4d56, so i'm really just parting this one out.
    Turns out the belt for the balance shafts was shredded completely. Everything else seems fine. Knocking the pistons out slowly as they were very well seized in there. I think I was supposed to pull the transmission out with it as nothing is really holding it in there right now. I put it on a stand so it wouldn't bend something that shouldn't be bent. I'll try and dig it out in a bit, might aswell give it a once over while i have everything gutted.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You may want to wait and see what needs to be swapped over to make the 4D56 fit in case things like the oil pan and accessory mounts are different. On my 4D56 it came with a completely different oil pan than anything used in a Mighty Max

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    good call. I can certainly wait. Everything needs a deep clean anyway. 1/2" thick crud mess on many parts.

The cylinders do come out of the top right? Most of these are seized right good, but the one that kinda sorta moves seems to get stuck when it reaches the top. Not entirely sure how to get the flywheel off or the crankshaft out so i can go through the bottom instead.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was wondering - did the US get the 2.8 TD engine (4M40)? I haven't seen any talk about these diesel engines or using them in our trucks...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    We never got them over here. I think they did come in some of the overseas versions of the 2nd gen trucks, but they require a different transmission, so a swap would require a few more parts that are less easily available.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Flywheel should just be the six bolts holding it on to the crank, you'll have to take the clutch/pressure plate off first to get to it. May be a little rusted on so it might need a little convincing with a pry bar to get it off. Pistons do come out the top, just pull the oil pan and unbolt the connecting rods from the crank. DO NOT TRY TO FORCE THEM OUT THE BOTTOM! There are oil squirters that spray the underside of each piston, if you try and push the pistons out the bottom without removing them they will bend and get broken

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Got it. Flywheel came off pretty easily. Nice groove worn into the fingers, plate itself didn't seem too bad, but well worn for sure. Taking off the rear engine plate for the crankshaft I noticed a very large amount of blue snot. I don't think i was the first one in here. It looked like RTV sealant. Nevertheless i got it off and the crankshaft out and i spent a few hours wailing on the pistons to get them out. The first one came out without much issue after I could get a direct blow on it. The rest took some time. Piston 3 in particular took an even bigger hammer and zero regard about damaging it. Time to start degreasing and cleaning everything to see what can be salvaged. Are the cylinder walls something that can be replaced at a home shop relatively easily or would it be best to find a place locally that can replace them?

Need to pull out the transmission next to see how bad it is. Might know someone that knows someone really good at rebuilding them, might try and work something out with them to give it a clean bill of health.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Oh yea. For future reference the pistons actually can't go out the bottom. I removed the oil sprayer and started pounding it down, but the walls that support the crankshaft are actually larger than the piston hole and physically prevent downward movement past them. So back up it went.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    These are a dry sleeve motor, so the cylinder liners can be pressed out, but it takes some work and a tool to catch the bottom of the sleeves without catching the block. The new liners just press right in, can be done with a regular hydraulic bench press if you're careful.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Being able to press the sleeves in saves a bunch of machining and you can retain the stock piston diameters. Too bad yours were so badly messed up. Next will be checking the the crank over. It'll be like a new engine
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123